Why the Cards can't Run

Reaction score
I am new to this forum. I have followed this forum for some time now, and with everything going on with the Cards OL, I just thought this article by Aaron Schatz, about the last 9 minutes of the Bears game. Who's at fault the OL or James? I have not seen this posted, if it has i apologize.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice article thanks for posting. Confirms what a lot of us had been saying about how bad Wells has been this year.

I love the sense of humor, both guys go to block Urlacher and fall down, no seriously.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sick isn't it but that is one of the best articles I've seen in a long time, hence I stickied it

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great article since it confirms my observation that Wells has been the worst player on the line all year long. Worse than Stepanovich, worse than Ross, worse than Liewinski....he's sucked.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
We need to invite Aaron Schatz to this board, or make him the GM. One or the other . . .

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals handed Reggie Wells a five-year, $17-million contract in the off-season and if this game is any indication, he's the worst player on the line.
How in the world is Wells supposed to be our best lineman ... ??? according to this article he was missing most of his blocks in the 4th qtr ...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We need to invite Aaron Schatz to this board, or make him the GM. One or the other . . .

That would be an interesting idea. Kind of like the NFL equivalent to "Moneyball," where suddenly an intense examination of statistics is used for personnel evaluation instead of workouts and scouting.

Reaction score
Really nothing that we didn't already know in that article, rather it just layed it all out, in detail.

What is most troublesome about the whole affair is that everyone on this board knows the problem, seemingly anyone with an ounce of football knowledge, that has watched the Cardinals over the last three seasons knows the problem. Yet it has been allowed to continue for the entirety of those three seasons!!!

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Most of us as observers keep thinking, that the coaching staff must know the problem, they must be working to correct it...

And nothing changes, it's beyond comprehension.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The bad news:

It looks like a complete "start over" on the offensive line

The good news:

The Cards have enough cap space that they could effectively make four of the existing five highly paid back ups in starting over via high draft picks and free agency.

It doesnt take forever to build an effective line. The Giants went from awful on the line to decent in one season (from 2003 to 2004 -- and then continued on to very good in 2005) , as did the Panthers in 2004 and any other number of teams.

The Cards just need someone to guide that process.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really nothing that we didn't already know in that article, rather it just layed it all in detail.

What is most troublesome about the whole affair is that everyone on this board knows the problem, seemingly anyone with an ounce of football knowledge, that has watched the Cardinals over the last three seasons knows the problem. Yet it has been allowed to continue for the entirety of those three seasons!!!

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Most of us as observers keep thinking, that the coaching staff must know the problem, they must be working to correct it...

And nothing changes, it's beyond comprehension.

Arrogance, Ego...name your poison. Denny has proven that he built the OL and cannot bring himself to dismantle it so he has hired 3 OL coaches and fired 2 of them.

Maybe Lindsey wasn't nearly the problem we thought he was last year?

It sure sounds like Wells was bad but without know the exactly blocking schemes and plays called, there is some wiggle room that Wells was not completely at fault. Still though, tough when he is singled out so much.

It clearly sounds as though the speed of the defenders was causing havoc for alot of the blocking schems the Cards were using.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arrogance, Ego...name your poison. Denny has proven that he built the OL and cannot bring himself to dismantle it so he has hired 3 OL coaches and fired 2 of them.

I think that's basically completely opposite of why Green has failed with oline. Every single season under Green we've had different starters at every position except Davis at LT and Ross at RT this year. Yeah, he's not been shy about dismantling any lineup we've had. It's been a regular Chinese fire drill, cutting, drafting and signing players, running them in and off the bench.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
What happened with all the articles over the offseason saying that Wells was good and our best o-lineman?

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
The most troubling part is all of the time spent in 2 TE sets when NONE of our TEs block, and in fact as a group may be the least talented group on offense. Oh yeah, and formation dictating play was on the level of a high school team. Instead of looking for mismatches, we lined up and tried to impose our will. That only works when you have more talent than the other team.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result each time is a sign of schizophrenia.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the thread on who would you cut right now if you could cut 1 player.

Ross won the poll but I had the second post saying it has to be Wells.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson