News from training camp

Reaction score
Is there any??? Anyone out there that was up to camp yesterday?

I am tired of reading/hearing about the good/bad of Cardinals stadium, and the Lienart contract...

There will be 52 other guys on the Cardinals this season...

:shrug:

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
CardLogic said:

I am tired of reading/hearing about the good/bad of Cardinals stadium, and the Lienart contract...

Not that this is big news, just an observation from last week when I was in flag., Fred Capshaw the rookie FA punter from the U was boomimg punts. That was the one thing that really stood out in my mind last week, besides how tall Pope is.

OP
OP
CardLogic
Reaction score
CardEd said:
Not that this is big news, just an observation from last week when I was in flag., Fred Capshaw the rookie FA punter from the U was boomimg punts. That was the one thing that really stood out in my mind last week, besides how tall Pope is.
Thanks, Ed.

There does seem to be some question if Capshaw may actually be pushing Player this year. Capshaw punted once in the game vs. Pittsburgh- high, long hang time, 51 yard punt.

Scott Player is an excellent punter, yet he is getting older. If Capshaw is able to perform under fire; in game situations; it may give the Cardinals coaching staff a tough decision...

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardLogic said:

Try the fanboy blog on azcentral.com. It is solid stuff.

OP
OP
CardLogic
Reaction score
A-Bomb said:
Try the fanboy blog on azcentral.com. It is solid stuff.
Are you suggesting that I need to go to a different website in order to get news on the Cardinals (other than the repetitive Lienart stuff, and stadium complaints) ???

j/k, sort of...

I do try to catch Fanboy's blogs regularly, even though I hate the Republic and try to not acknowledge it...

PrescottLooie

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't we just extend Player last year ?
Is there any cap hit if we do cut him ?
Does he have trade value ?

Trey

Registered
Reaction score
Birth to 32, Phoenix. Now, enemy territory.
CardLogic said:
If Capshaw is able to perform under fire; in game situations; it may give the Cardinals coaching staff a tough decision...

I've heard several people raving about Capshaw. He's certainly intriguing, but let's not forget that Player is also the holder for Rackers. To me, an extra 5 yards per punt is not worth messing with the machine that is Hodel, Player, and Rackers. Especially since our running game (particularly in the red zone) has to still be considered non existant until proven otherwise.

OP
OP
CardLogic
Reaction score
Trey said:
I've heard several people raving about Capshaw. He's certainly intriguing, but let's not forget that Player is also the holder for Rackers. To me, an extra 5 yards per punt is not worth messing with the machine that is Hodel, Player, and Rackers. Especially since our running game (particularly in the red zone) has to still be considered non existant until proven otherwise.
That is a good point, Trey! Then again I think that it makes sense to have a holder that can actually be a threat with the ball (fakes, etc.)...

I fully expect Player to be punting for the Cardinals again this year. However, if Capshaw isn't "hidden" somehow; and there is not much that can be done; you can bet he won't be available in a year or two when Player is done and the Cards need a replacement.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
Then again I think that it makes sense to have a holder that can actually be a threat with the ball (fakes, etc.)...
I've been saying that forever--I never understood why all teams didn't use a backup QB/RB to hold for the threat/implementation of a fake.

That is, until someone recently gave me an explaination that makes sense. The LS, P and K are the only ones that don't need to know what the hell else is going on at practice. So, it's a practical solution that the punter holds because he doesn't need to be with the rest of the offense.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to try to go tonight after work to see if Leinart is there yet. Its been raining all afternoon so I think they may move it into the dome. Which seems to limit things. If I see anything notable, I'll try to post it later. I'm no Hardy Brown.

I did see Capshaw knocking the hell out of that ball last week. The first few punts were comical as the returner had sprint straight back 20 yards or so, and still ended up missing the ball until they figured out how far those punts were going. I like Player but that Capshaw has some serious power.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
Fanboy says there was some good hittin going on this morning.

PCF:

Competely off-topic, but I saw the painting your avatar is based on hanging in a bar in Jackson Hole last week. It was by the front door and I stopped in my tracks when I saw it. For some reason I thought it was Gen. Schwarzkopf, but the plaque stated it was some other name I didn't recognize.

The Shark

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
PCF:

Competely off-topic, but I saw the painting your avatar is based on hanging in a bar in Jackson Hole last week. It was by the front door and I stopped in my tracks when I saw it. For some reason I thought it was Gen. Schwarzkopf, but the plaque stated it was some other name I didn't recognize.

The Shark

I always figured that was PCF's face. ;)

OP
OP
CardLogic
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I've been saying that forever--I never understood why all teams didn't use a backup QB/RB to hold for the threat/implementation of a fake.

That is, until someone recently gave me an explaination that makes sense. The LS, P and K are the only ones that don't need to know what the hell else is going on at practice. So, it's a practical solution that the punter holds because he doesn't need to be with the rest of the offense.
Yeah, that makes sense. The reality is that fake plays don't work that well in the NFL, and are seldom attempted, anyway. But it would be nice to have it in reserve, just in case....

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
PCF:

The Shark

Chesty Puller.. Korean War Veteran. Served/Fought at Chosin Reservor when 400,000 Chinese came across the border to push U.S. troops back to the 38th parallel.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
My best friend's dad served under Chesty Puller as a radio man. Basically they had to fight there way out of the reservoir or freeze to death. His radio saved his life like 2 or 3 times. Awful heavy bullet proof vest!!

TJAM

Registered
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to be at the game - Capshaw was impressive - boomed the ball, but wonder if he has the game skills for putting the ball inside the 20, not out kicking the coverage team, etc. Player has been one of the top 5 to 10 punters each of the last few years seems to have all those other skills

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson