Suns Sign New Free-TV Deal

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
3TV aired Dback games previous at the same quality Fox Az did.

The Suns pay the camera crews at the arena, the studio people, ect ect. Bally just airs the broadcast. I doubt the quality will change at all.

Given the crazy volume problems I've had on Bally, it might improve.

That company is garbage.
Ballys, like Fox, had a generic template that ALL teams use — just replace the logos with your team and there you go. There was no originality or creativity at all in either of those presentations.

Now 45 on the other hand, they were able to do whatever they wanted to promote the brand. Music, graphics, formats, everything can be tailored specifically to the Suns and Mercury. The team had nowhere near that kind of freedom with the regional networks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not referring to the presentation. Bally's didn't invest much in their infrastructure. As a result, the quality of the stream from a video or audio perspective, buffering and dropout was an issue with the service. They did the minimum to maximize profit.
My streams will go from whisper quiet to blow out your speakers deafening without touching a button.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ballys, like Fox, had a generic template that ALL teams use — just replace the logos with your team and there you go. There was no originality or creativity at all in either of those presentations.

Now 45 on the other hand, they were able to do whatever they wanted to promote the brand. Music, graphics, formats, everything can be tailored specifically to the Suns and Mercury. The team had nowhere near that kind of freedom with the regional networks.
When they aired them on UPN45 (at the time locally) it was a quality broadcast at the time.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, I always enjoyed the KUPT broadcasts more than the Fox Az back in the 90s.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched Ballys on DirecTV and I had no problems with it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched Ballys on DirecTV and I had no problems with it.
Is the sound still crappy and do you get buffering? You may no though because DIRECTV is handling the transmission.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the sound still crappy and do you get buffering? You may no though because DIRECTV is handling the transmission.
The commercials sometimes are a bit louder than the broadcast, but the game feed is just like any other channel - ESPN, FOX, ABC, etc. There's no buffering on the satellite.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The commercials sometimes are a bit louder than the broadcast, but the game feed is just like any other channel - ESPN, FOX, ABC, etc. There's no buffering on the satellite.
Makes sense. I suspect it's Bally's direct streaming customers impacted since it's their infrastructure. The volume is insanely low on the direct stream and in crappy stereo.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welp...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Speaking of commercials, I spent the winter in Phoenix (snowbird) and I subscribed to Ballys for the first time, for the Suns. Really Spartan app on Roku, for sure, and it did kinda have a cookie cutter feel to it. But those commercial breaks with the player bouncing a ball during it - was Ballys unable to sell ads at those times?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is one possible outcome.
The courts can't make the Suns accept the offer. The contract was up. All they can do is penalize the Suns for alleged breach of contract for not allowing them to negotiate before signing a new deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The courts can't make the Suns accept the offer. The contract was up. All they can do is penalize the Suns for alleged breach of contract for not allowing them to negotiate before signing a new deal.

So was Bally Sports Arizona going to make the Suns free to watch on local channels?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Couldn't the Suns negotiate a contract mandating OTA broadcast of the games in certain AZ cities. Sinclair who owns Bally's does not have an OTA station in Phoenix.

You'd think lawyers could make it prohibitive for Bally to match the terms.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Couldn't the Suns negotiate a contract mandating OTA broadcast of the games in certain AZ cities. Sinclair who owns Bally's does not have an OTA station in Phoenix.

You'd think lawyers could make it prohibitive for Bally to match the terms.
I think the problem here IS the contact Bally's has with the Suns. The judge is just ruling based on what is on that document. Somehow, Ishbia's lawyers think they can get out of it, or reading the tea leaves, thinks Bally's will be gone soon.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A statement from Mat Ishbia.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media