NBA and NBPA reportedly agree to a new 7 Year Collective Bargaining Agreement

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned, the new CBA will be phased into effect.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It definitely doesn't look good. I know Paul's deal will be off the books but this basically makes an Ayton trade a necessity. We need to get a starter and a rotation player in return, ideally making a little than Ayton does as well.

Trading away those draft picks looks worse and worse because picks are cheap young talent for years. I know not all of them pan out but the odds of whiffing on all of them is small. Add in what those could help accomplish as far as trades are concerned as well.

This was the cruelest of April Fools items since it's real and not a true April Fools joke at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never mentioned the NBA Finals, you somehow came to insert them all on your own.
Ah… your original post said the teams in the Finals and that stuck in my head for some reason. My mistake.
I said the teams in the finals of the tournament play an extra game, that's it.
Seems like you’re taking my misunderstanding personal. I already said it was my mistake. Or maybe I’m just reading into this something that’s not there.
They're going to flex the regular season schedule some and count the tournament games in to the full 82 game season.
I still don’t get this… the teams in the mid-season tournament will play an extra game then everyone else. Does that mean they’ll play 83 games or they lose a game somewhere else that’s flexed?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It definitely doesn't look good. I know Paul's deal will be off the books but this basically makes an Ayton trade a necessity. We need to get a starter and a rotation player in return, ideally making a little than Ayton does as well.

Trading away those draft picks looks worse and worse because picks are cheap young talent for years. I know not all of them pan out but the odds of whiffing on all of them is small. Add in what those could help accomplish as far as trades are concerned as well.

This was the cruelest of April Fools items since it's real and not a true April Fools joke at all.

The new CBA definitely enhances trades, the draft, keeping your own players and money management.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah… your original post said the teams in the Finals and that stuck in my head for some reason. My mistake.

Seems like you’re taking my misunderstanding personal. I already said it was my mistake. Or maybe I’m just reading into this something that’s not there.

I still don’t get this… the teams in the mid-season tournament will play an extra game then everyone else. Does that mean they’ll play 83 games or they lose a game somewhere else that’s flexed?

Yeah, youre reading into something that isn't there. Just trying to help you understand.

The midseason tournament games will be in the regular season schedule, the final 2 teams from it will play 1 extra game as the final for the tournament is separate, similar to the play in. That game will also take place at a neutral site, they're talking Vegas now. I guess it'll be kind of like pool play in the Olympics just worked into the schedule and those who "advance" will have games "flexed" into that time of the year so there aren't any extra games added.

Since there's only 1 game actually added to the schedule, the very last game for the tournament prize, it's not too bad as it'll give teams a little more incentive to play in November/December and if the payoff is enough then players won't mind the additional game either since only 2 of the 28 teams will have to play any games and it's just 1 added game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other changes to CBA involving mid level exception and room exception.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out the ramifications of the new CBA on the Suns but it doesn't sound good.

At first glance it doesn't look good and may move to royally screwed. If the Suns hit the 2nd apron and lose the MLE they have virtually no way to add talent with all the picks they owe.

I agree the changes greatly increase the odds of an Ayton trade if they don't go the distance this year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At first glance it doesn't look good and may move to royally screwed. If the Suns hit the 2nd apron and lose the MLE they have virtually no way to add talent with all the picks they owe.

I agree the changes greatly increase the odds of an Ayton trade if they don't go the distance this year.

You are right, the Suns are really limited in the moves they can make if they hit the 2nd tax apron. They are limited now without hitting it. They may be tempted to trade Deandre Ayton or waiving or somehow trading Chris Paul.

I have to think James Jones might have seen this coming with the new cba negotiations.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NBA mid season should be against the rest of the world. Some sort of international tournament.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do like this, All NBA Teams will be position-less going forward so we won't see issues like last year, and this year, where Embiid and Jokic both deserve 1st team honors but they need to make it 2 guards, 2 forwards, and 1 center.

This likely kills any chance of a 3rd Center receiving All-NBA honors because it will be the top 15 players rather than top 6 guards, 6 forwards, and 3 centers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do like this, All NBA Teams will be position-less going forward so we won't see issues like last year, and this year, where Embiid and Jokic both deserve 1st team honors but they need to make it 2 guards, 2 forwards, and 1 center.

This likely kills any chance of a 3rd Center receiving All-NBA honors because it will be the top 15 players rather than top 6 guards, 6 forwards, and 3 centers.

I like the positionless awards. It's about time. Just wish it was less fan oriented.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the positionless awards. It's about time. Just wish it was less fan oriented.

All-NBA isnt fan oriented. I think you confusing it with All-Star, which needs to ditch their fan voting. Teams should be named by player, coach, and reporters votes. If they want to give fans a voice then let them pick the starters from the pool of All-Star's.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All-NBA isnt fan oriented. I think you confusing it with All-Star, which needs to ditch their fan voting. Teams should be named by player, coach, and reporters votes. If they want to give fans a voice then let them pick the starters from the pool of All-Star's.

Yeah, I was think about the All-Star team and was actually hoping that was incorporated into the new CBA.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is an additional layer on the marijuana deal that I don't care for. Players will now be allowed to PROMOTE marijuana usage, and gambling. That seems like a step too far.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Does that means teams can offer players a piece of the team? that would be a game changer. Wow.

Here are my numbers for next season.

KD
46,407,433​
Book
36,016,200​
Ayton
32,459,438​
CP3
30,800,000​
Shamet 10,250,00
Payne
6,500,000​
Ish
1,927,896​
154,110,967​

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with your point but IMO if they want to give fans a voice then let them scream during half time, just keep them the hell away from any awards that can possibly impact the player's bank accounts. And it's never been the voice of the fans, it's mostly been the voice of a small number of fans that vote many, many times. I'm a diehard basketball fan and have never voted, and I believe I'm in the majority of diehard fans.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There is an additional layer on the marijuana deal that I don't care for. Players will now be allowed to PROMOTE marijuana usage, and gambling. That seems like a step too far.

I mean, if you go to Europe and look at soccer teams every stadium has some sort of gambling site on either jerseys or billboards. Draftkings and Fanduel are huge now on all sports podcasts it seems like.

Cannabis is trickier since it’s still federally illegal yet dispensaries were deemed an essential business during the pandemic.

But yeah promoting gambling as a player does seem like there could be shady stuff that people already think happens when it comes to betting lines and players not trying.

CJ McCollum was getting roasted for the CBA deal as the president of the players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. I'm not sure if players promote alcohol. If not, the door is now open.

The gambling part has always been a dangerous road.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, if you go to Europe and look at soccer teams every stadium has some sort of gambling site on either jerseys or billboards. Draftkings and Fanduel are huge now on all sports podcasts it seems like.

Cannabis is trickier since it’s still federally illegal yet dispensaries were deemed an essential business during the pandemic.

But yeah promoting gambling as a player does seem like there could be shady stuff that people already think happens when it comes to betting lines and players not trying.

CJ McCollum was getting roasted for the CBA deal as the president of the players.

A lot of fans are parents. Maybe trying to get their kids into the sport, or to love the same sports team as they did growing up. Having a player on that team on TV or online promoting their favorite cannabis products or dispensary would be a deal breaker for many. It is also highly inconsistent with the healthy image that the NBA seems to want to promote.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A lot of fans are parents. Maybe trying to get their kids into the sport, or to love the same sports team as they did growing up. Having a player on that team on TV or online promoting their favorite cannabis products or dispensary would be a deal breaker for many. It is also highly inconsistent with the healthy image that the NBA seems to want to promote.
That’s a fair point. It’s always interesting to me though that we don’t bat an eye at alcohol commercials even though alcohol does more damage to families than a plant. I know one is still federally illegal but with CBD being a prominent component that a lot of athletes use to help for recovery, cannabis could act as a similar treatment.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s a fair point. It’s always interesting to me though that we don’t bat an eye at alcohol commercials even though alcohol does more damage to families than a plant. I know one is still federally illegal but with CBD being a prominent component that a lot of athletes use to help for recovery, cannabis could act as a similar treatment.

If the promotion was strictly limited to CBD, that would be much better. I haven't read the fine print on this, just the one tweet which makes it seem pretty broad.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with your point but IMO if they want to give fans a voice then let them scream during half time, just keep them the hell away from any awards that can possibly impact the player's bank accounts. And it's never been the voice of the fans, it's mostly been the voice of a small number of fans that vote many, many times. I'm a diehard basketball fan and have never voted, and I believe I'm in the majority of diehard fans.

I never voted prior to voting being available on Twitter but when I was younger I worked a movie theater which was a ballet center, for some reason. I guess it made some sense prior to social media as a hub of sorts that most people visit for entertainment but seemed odd. I was kind of surprised we got this stand and ballots that we actually sent in 3-4 times as they were collected. There was a girl that worked there who filled out a stack of ballets for Mike Bibby, which was odd but also tells you about when this was, early 2000's. She had to have filled out well over 100, basically what was left before we sent off the final batch. Never cared for the fan voting idea before but that really soured me on it because it's way too easy to manipulate.

I think fans having some sort of voice makes them feel more important and engaged so I get why the league incorporates it but when players financial future is directly tied to it, beyond ticket sales and tv rating, then it needs more checks and balances than are in place.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically they are trying to prevent dynasties. If you kill all the mechanisms for teams over the new luxury tax apron you prevent them from adding new talent to the team. The only mechanism left will be to trade an existing set of contracts for a single good player. The salaries have to match. No more MLE, No more trading 1st round draft picks (7 years out) if you are over.

The is horrible timing for the Suns who finally have an owner willing to do whatever it takes.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, for some taxpayers like the Warriors for example. If a team is over $17.5 million the luxury tax line then they lose the taxpayer MLE. So the rich can't continue to keep spending, basically.
You do realize this is going to apply to the suns also right?