Cardinals sign CB Rashad Fenton - 1 Yr Contract

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I guess I must have been watching the Cardinals in an alternate universe, because you and others are acting like Murphy was nothing special but he was bawling against #1 WRs before the injury. I personally was sitting there stuffing crow down my face because I never thought he was more than a slot/nickel corner. I would have kept Allen but I still would have let Murphy walk because not only was it an injury but it was a lingering back injury and that is something which is fickle
He did for a few games, but he fell off before getting hurt.

He gave up a 103 QB Rating, which isn't good.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess I must have been watching the Cardinals in an alternate universe, because you and others are acting like Murphy was nothing special but he was bawling against #1 WRs before the injury. I personally was sitting there stuffing crow down my face because I never thought he was more than a slot/nickel corner. I would have kept Allen but I still would have let Murphy walk because not only was it an injury but it was a lingering back injury and that is something which is fickle

They balled against #1 WR's for the 8 games he missed too. That wasn't down to Murphy. Murphy gave up the worst passer rating on the team of any defensive back.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Right? I defended murphy 4 years straight for being an over drafted slot corner while he was shutting down every wr1 we faced.
If that back injury were a nothingburger he would have been paid quite a bit better than he was.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right? I defended murphy 4 years straight for being an over drafted slot corner while he was shutting down every wr1 we faced.
If that back injury were a nothingburger he would have been paid quite a bit better than he was.

We gave up 40 yards less per game to WR when Murphy was out than when he played.

Murphy gave up the highest QB rating on any DB on the team. Including safeties.

It's a myth he was shutting receivers down. Scheme shut them down, often with a linebacker or safety bracketing underneath leaving big ass spaces for everyone else to feed.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They balled against #1 WR's for the 8 games he missed too. That wasn't down to Murphy. Murphy gave up the worst passer rating on the team of any defensive back.
Lost in all this talk is the strides Marco Wilson made last year. He was hands down the best cornerback on the roster last year.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have a pretty low opinion of Murphy so for me it's not hard to be at least as good as last year.

You add one starting capable CB (Ya-Sin, Troy Hill, Eli Apple etc) and Wilson, Fenton, Hamilton and [Insert whoever here] is at least on par with Wilson, Murphy, Hamilton and Whitaker for me.

Which isn't saying much but it's not backwards at least.
You and I are roughly on the same page about talent this offseason (and have been a lot otherwise based on some stat-backed concepts), but do you remember how hard you fought me about Murphy being worth his draft spot? I hella disliked the guy.

I do get a giggle about how pushy that was... but I agree with you now. Murphy's a solid player... just not incredible.

I'm with you though, I'll take Ya-Sin or Eli Apple on the team across from Marco Wilson, and I won't feel like we lost much. I'd like to snag a top corner in this class if we can move DHop for at least a 2nd round pick. Otherwise, I want to go C/G at that 2nd round turn.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You and I are roughly on the same page about talent this offseason (and have been a lot otherwise based on some stat-backed concepts), but do you remember how hard you fought me about Murphy being worth his draft spot? I hella disliked the guy.

I do get a giggle about how pushy that was... but I agree with you now. Murphy's a solid player... just not incredible.

I'm with you though, I'll take Ya-Sin or Eli Apple on the team across from Marco Wilson, and I won't feel like we lost much. I'd like to snag a top corner in this class if we can move DHop for at least a 2nd round pick. Otherwise, I want to go C/G at that 2nd round turn.

Did I? I really don't recall that. I wasn't even here then as I didn't join until 9 months after that draft.

I always thought he was a bad pick once it became clear how they intended to use him. You don't draft slots at #33. Especially mediocre ones.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
While I agree, so is the amount of people crying about losing him when there were about four of us not dumping on him over the past four years.
Agreed on this. Most the board thought he wasn't any good, now they're upset he's gone.

I would've probably kept him if I was in charge, but he's not a real difference maker. He's a lunch pail player.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Did I? I really don't recall that. I wasn't even here then as I didn't join until 9 months after that draft.

I always thought he was a bad pick once it became clear how they intended to use him. You don't draft slots at #33. Especially mediocre ones.
Maybe I'm really off on who I was fighting with over this, but I swear we were deep in a discussion about him, and your argument was that slot CBs played something like 70% of snaps, so it was a premium position.

Again, I might have it completely wrong... I'll have to check my post history. I just know that I was vehemently against Byron Murphy, like I was Chase Edmonds, lol.

I remember you (or my opponent) breaking down his snaps by alignment, and you're hella the main poster that dives into numbers with me.

I know you didn't join until well after that draft, because I doubted your NFL knowledge thanks to being British. I harassed you in like 5 messages.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I mean I was a big Murphy fan of course, dubbing him "The Answer".

Britcard can trot out all the stats he wants but in 2022 other teams number ones were being completely shut down with Murphy on them.

And save the screenshots Britcard. You can type till you're blue in the face but you'll never convince me Murphy isn't a very good CB (pending the injury).

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Not a bad signing within the circumstances inherited by the GM office. 26 and a prove it deal. He has motivation since he had a down year after a decent '21. With Witherspoon, Gonzalez and Ringo being 1st rounders; trading down could allow Oline if Lions were the team. Then if Ringo slips enough, trade the Lions 2nd to trade up.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I mean I was a big Murphy fan of course, dubbing him "The Answer".

Britcard can trot out all the stats he wants but in 2022 other teams number ones were being completely shut down with Murphy on them.

And save the screenshots Britcard. You can type till you're blue in the face but you'll never convince me Murphy isn't a very good CB (pending the injury).
This.
Watch the games and not live by meaningless pff stats.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards have got value and flexibility out of all their deals anyway

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Byron Murphy and Antonio Hamilton are not the same.
Yeah but they aren't a chasm apart either.

Murphy is a good player, but not a great one. The Cardinals certainly aren't better letting him go, but there are many scenarios where a guy can come off the street and replace him.

Allowing around a 90 QB Rating isn't elite play, and thats around his median play.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah but they aren't a chasm apart either.

Murphy is a good player, but not a great one. The Cardinals certainly aren't better letting him go, but there are many scenarios where a guy can come off the street and replace him.

Allowing around a 90 QB Rating isn't elite play, and thats around his median play.
People act like if you’re not Sauce Gardner you’re Antonio Hamilton. Byron Murphy is at least two tiers better than Hamilton and probably has his best football in front of him.

I don’t put a lot of stock in passer rating when targeted, especially when there was zero pass rush in front of them.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t put a lot of stock in passer rating when targeted, especially when there was zero pass rush in front of them.

They were in the same team with the same pass rush playing the same scheme.

I get your point overall, but I think it's fair to compare passer rating allowed for players on the same team. Especially as when Murphy was out injured it was predominantly Hamilton playing his role.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They were in the same team with the same pass rush playing the same scheme.

I get your point overall, but I think it's fair to compare passer rating allowed for players on the same team. Especially as when Murphy was out injured it was predominantly Hamilton playing his role.
Dude you used this same metric to pump up Trayvon Mullens. Learn from experience.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude you used this same metric to pump up Trayvon Mullens. Learn from experience.

So what your saying is that passer rating isn't an accurate barometer of ability due to different schemes, roles, complimentary pass rush etc but it also can't be used as a barometer on the same team, in the same roles, with the same pass rush?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So what your saying is that passer rating isn't an accurate barometer of ability due to different schemes, roles, complimentary pass rush etc but it also can't be used as a barometer on the same team, in the same roles, with the same pass rush?
It shouldn’t be used at all. Junk stat

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose