Jeffrey Simmons, DT...Titans

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's gotta be a blend of strategies, and it's gotta be timed right for the acquisition. People here have touted the Rams' approach so much, but their success wouldn't exist without some great drafts that gave them solid players across the roster at the right price.

It also doesn't have to be a Center, it can be any position that fills the litany of holes on this roster. There's not a position outside of ILB or S that would bother me to draft in the top three rounds.
A K? A punter? LS? :D

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I still don't want to be in the Keim-esque business of moving on from premium picks and handing out big deals. I'd rather have that cheap, cost-controlled Center, and then spend big on a DT as available.

As I've said, I don't mind giving up like, a day three pick. (Although I don't really consider our 4th rounder a true day three pick given how high it is.)
Again, I am more of a "bird in the hand" type of guy. If my goal is to acquire a top 5 DT and keep him during the prime of his career, trading for Simmons achieves that. OR you can use that pick to draft a player that you hope becomes what Simmons is.

You are Peter Griffin passing on a boat, and opting for the mystery box, hoping it is a boat.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The comments against this are funny.

1 - "We aren't contending this year." That doesn't prohibit you from acquiring good players on multi year deals.

2 - "A day 2 pick is too much." We have no idea if Monti is a competent drafter, and even if he is, the best still miss on picks.

3 - "He will want too much in an extension." Top players get paid top contracts.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1 - "We aren't contending this year." That doesn't prohibit you from acquiring good players on multi year deals.

2 - "A day 2 pick is too much." We have no idea if Monti is a competent drafter, and even if he is, the best still miss on picks.

3 - "He will want too much in an extension." Top players get paid top contracts.
Agreed. Not comparing Allen to Simmons but not signing him gave us an indication of the offseason approach. Getting a Simmons caliber player after round one will not be a slam dunk.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not going to happen. There isn't even the slightest rumor that it might happen. At least not that I have seen outside of this thread. Yes, could still do a whole lot in free agency with trades and signings that don't involve borderline starters and special teams players. But we won't.

If I am wrong, then great.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's not going to happen. There isn't even the slightest rumor that it might happen. At least not that I have seen outside of this thread. Yes, could still do a whole lot in free agency with trades and signings that don't involve borderline starters and special teams players. But we won't.

True. Just trying to help alternative conversations grow vs the criticism of our team doing nothing.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

not to mention...dude was drafted like 19th overall and has lived up to the first round grade in every way

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This defense would be transformed overnight with Simmons and at least we could finally have a decent if not good DL with a draft addition of say Anderson... finally also being able to judge our ten thousand LBs and secondary accurately because they do not have to compensate for suck play upfront which is important when rebuilding :raccoon:

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Back in december when I posted this about Jalen Carter... there wasnt even the slightest rumor he had character issues...

[ATTACH=full]196668[/ATTACH]

oaken1

Stone Cold​

Banned from P+R
JoinedMar 13, 2004Posts14,034Reaction score8,368LocationModesto, California
Trading back while Jalen Carter or Will Anderson is still on the board would be such a Steve Keim move.
I like Anderson but i am cooling on Carter.
Rumor has it some scouts say he is kinda lazy and doesnt have any love of the game.
Reminiscent of Robert Nkemdiche.
Would hate to waste a top 5 pick on that kind of player....sadly, would prefer Bijon Robinson over a lazy D Lineman...and im kinda with y'all on first round runningbacks.
So my biggest hope is that we get Anderson

Quote Quote
  • You must be registered for see images attach
Reactions:SissyBoyFloyd

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

How about because we're driving a hooptie straight to the draft this year. 4 bald mismatching tires. Cracked windshield no wipers. You have to press up against the window to roll it down so you can open the door from the outside. Tail pipe dragging busted muffler. Spray painted with that ugly rust prevention stuff. Now why would we go and put some nascar engine in it? When the goal is to literally to lose the race? And then scrap the car? Only to build a new better car from the ground up? Why Chopper? Why don't you want a nice car?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in december when I posted this about Jalen Carter... there wasnt even the slightest rumor he had character issues...

[ATTACH=full]196668[/ATTACH]

oaken1

Stone Cold​

Banned from P+R
JoinedMar 13, 2004Posts14,034Reaction score8,368LocationModesto, California

I like Anderson but i am cooling on Carter.
Rumor has it some scouts say he is kinda lazy and doesnt have any love of the game.
Reminiscent of Robert Nkemdiche.
Would hate to waste a top 5 pick on that kind of player....sadly, would prefer Bijon Robinson over a lazy D Lineman...and im kinda with y'all on first round runningbacks.
So my biggest hope is that we get Anderson

Quote Quote
  • You must be registered for see images attach
Reactions:SissyBoyFloyd
To me, Anderson is the only no brainer draft pick at #3. To pass on him, we had better get one hell of a haul in a trade.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To me, Anderson is the only no brainer draft pick at #3. To pass on him, we had better get one hell of a haul in a trade.
8/10 agree! IF Carter didn't carry the baggage I would go with him. Selecting him now is 100% not Monti from my vantage point. The past GM might roll the dice.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Again, I am more of a "bird in the hand" type of guy. If my goal is to acquire a top 5 DT and keep him during the prime of his career, trading for Simmons achieves that. OR you can use that pick to draft a player that you hope becomes what Simmons is.

You are Peter Griffin passing on a boat, and opting for the mystery box, hoping it is a boat.
Nah, I'm not passing on a mystery box hoping it's a boat, I'm trying to avoid handing the mystery box over what might be a boat, or a jet ski, to get the privilege to pay for a boat. Especially if I know I won't really get much use out of the boat this year, and might be able to buy the boat next year when it'll really enhance my life.

Then I can take the family out on our two boats, or boat and jet ski.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nah, I'm not passing on a mystery box hoping it's a boat, I'm trying to avoid handing the mystery box over what might be a boat, or a jet ski, to get the privilege to pay for a boat. Especially if I know I won't really get much use out of the boat this year, and might be able to buy the boat next year when it'll really enhance my life.

Then I can take the family out on our two boats, or boat and jet ski.
It is not an either/or proposition. You can have it this year, and next year, and the year after.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It is not an either/or proposition. You can have it this year, and next year, and the year after.
It really is. You give up the "mystery box" and pay someone a full extension. By definition, that means it's gone this year.

Also, there's a magical thing called scouting, and it's the reason we pay people to do this, and don't pick names out of a hat. If your staff and leadership is qualified, you up the odds on that "mystery box."

Alternatively, if I've misinterpreted the comment... the new boat is useless this year.

To move from analogies... Simmons isn't making a major difference for us to win this year. So, we're wasting an opportunity at a young cheap asset, just in time to pay heavily for a player as Kyler's deal hits. We need more cheap players to fill these spaces given the heavy cost we're about to take on.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It really is. You give up the "mystery box" and pay someone a full extension. By definition, that means it's gone this year.

Also, there's a magical thing called scouting, and it's the reason we pay people to do this, and don't pick names out of a hat. If your staff and leadership is qualified, you up the odds on that "mystery box."

Alternatively, if I've misinterpreted the comment... the new boat is useless this year.

To move from analogies... Simmons isn't making a major difference for us to win this year. So, we're wasting an opportunity at a young cheap asset, just in time to pay heavily for a player as Kyler's deal hits. We need more cheap players to fill these spaces given the heavy cost we're about to take on.
Ok. I fundamentally disagree with this mindset.

Adding good players does make a difference in any year. Will it take us to a Super Bowl, no, but no move guarantees that. Does it help evaluate young players on the defense, yes. They are less likely to develop bad habits when they can count on a teammate to do their job.

Continuity also matters. Throwing a bunch of players into a new system and with new teammates is not a recipe for success. That is why adding a few players every year works better.

Also, in this hypothetical scenario, there is no guarantee a player of Simmons age is available next year. So, if you were to pass on him this year, you likely will not have the opportunity to acquire a similarly talented player next year.

Even though I disagree, I do appreciate you sharing your opinion as it does lend some insight to your thinking.

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
Cards trade #3 to Titans for #11, #41, #72 and a re-worked Simmons deal. Who says no?

Trade value chart shows 2,200 to 1,970 for the picks.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cards trade #3 to Titans for #11, #41, #72 and a re-worked Simmons deal. Who says no?

No. I would need another first and maybe a second minimum, and that's only if the Colts say no. Maybe then.