Suns @ Lakers Wednesday game thread 3-22-2023

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think Saric was a JJ decision? I suspect that he was told to move him, the thinking being with Durant here Dario was just a large expense they could do without. Regardless, whichever one decided it, I believe they were very wrong.

I think it was a JJ move. I believe Ishbia made the KD call and JJ made the Saric. It looked more like a JJ deal as in swapping an unneeded vet like Saric for some young castoff. It was more in line with deals like landing Jock, Holiday, Craig, Payne, Shamet, Nader. I think there was someone he wanted in the KD deal that he couldn't get and decided to do a spinoff move like this, which I believe would have been done whether KD was traded or not. So long as Saric's salary wasn't needed elsewhere, he was likely to be dealt like he was. He made close to the same money as Crowder so I'm sure JJ knew the deals he could make around the league for a contract of that size with teams looking to dump someone.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. The Suns definitely have a weakness at forward until Durant returns.

Wainright is playing 15.3 minutes a game but he is only shooting .38% from the field and averaging 4.2 points and 2.2 rebounds.

Bazley and Warren haven't shown anything either.

I like Josh Okogie's defense and energy but he is only shooting .402% from the field.

Personally, I think Craig should be a bench player on a good team.
That's been my issue. I think we both have been hammering for quality depth at the PF position since the offseason when it appeared the Suns were in discount mode. I still think it's a major weakness on our bench. It seems like we just love tweeners on this team. It's like the Suns philosphy is you can't have enough of those guys.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Ayton gonna be active for this game or we gonna push Book to many minutes trying to get a win?

It's hard to say. Since he is not scheduled to be re-evaluated, perhaps he is day-to-day?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that song. Maybe I should dream on. I have followed the Suns since they started and nothing else seems to work. Just promise me you will acknowledge it if I happen to be right :)

Personally, Aerosmith's "Livin' On The Edge" is how I would describe it.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Bazley's only job would be to defend, rebound and run the floor. Then, as the system prescribes, stand in the corner and wait for the pass.

Maybe with some confidence he could turn into something. If he's garbage he can only get better. 3 and D guy would be neat, if he can pick up Luka or other guards. He's not big enough for the Giannis plowmobile.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course no updates on DA.

Fat chance but I wish Monty would think of some strategy here by starting Payne.

Then cp3 can help set up some of the bench players and hopefully play less minutes.

Hopefully Shamet and Payne provide for the second unit this game as it’s desperately needed.

The lakers have been been playing well since LeBum went down. Didn’t that happen last year too?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Durant and Deandre Ayton are OUT.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Durant and Deandre Ayton are OUT.

UGH. This was a winnable game but it might be a toss up now. Is AD healthy? I have not kept up on their reports or games outside the Win/Loss column.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
At this point with Ayton out and possibly AD in for LA, I am resigned to an L. :cry:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it's Book and his legion of misfits... Can't wait to see how Monty chooses to blow this game too! Am I getting this right now?

UGH. This was a winnable game but it might be a toss up now. Is AD healthy? I have not kept up on their reports or games outside the Win/Loss column.

It sounds like Monty is going to shorten his rotation as he has been playing so many guys. Whether that is enough, I don't know.

IMO, the Suns should have already been in playoff mode with 11 games left.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anthony Davis is listed as PROBABLE on the Lakers injury report so I expect he will play.

Mo Bamba and Lebron are OUT.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It sounds like Monty is going to shorten his rotation as he has been playing so many guys. Whether that is enough, I don't know.

IMO, the Suns should have already been in playoff mode with 11 games left.

Whatever.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Shoulder is throbbing so I'm gonna miss night golf tomorrow, my apologies in advance, I'll be here watching with yall. Be really nice if Ayton played since CP3 doing the semi retirement thing. DeAndre needs to learn a new way because the Pick and R̶o̶l̶l̶ Jump Shot isn't there anymore

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Our coaching staff or Deandre himself needs to practice how to get in good position so his teammates can get him the ball. He's pretty good when he gets the ball and goes to the jump shot or the hook. Just needs to get the ball more.

Disclaimer: This requires effort and it might be physical contact involved.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Question: Who should be in the rotation in the playoffs if everybody is healthy?

Starters:
- Ayton
- Craig
- Durant
- Booker
- Paul

Bench:
- Okogie
- Payne
- Lee
- Landale/Bizzy?

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I also prefer Craig starting over Okogie. I think Craig is a better outside shooter and a better defender against bigger forwards. Craig also is less prone to going "hero mode" than Okogie. Okogie had a nice run of hot play in February but he's been a terrible shooter outside of that stretch. The offense is designed to generate corner 3s for wing players, Okogie shoots 30% from that range on the year, Craig shoots 45%.

I was lamenting the cost of retaining Okogie a month ago but those fears have passed. If he doesn't have another really strong stretch, like he did in February, he's likely not getting much more than the minimum.

I think Shamet will be in the rotation too. I don't know if it means we're playing a 10 man rotation in the playoffs but I think he's not the negative many take him for and I certainly don't think the coaching staff will leave him on the bench.

I've been a Payne defender but he needs a short leash right now. If he's ice cold then some combination of Booker and Shamet should handle point guard duties when Paul is resting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose