Gender-bending remakes/reboots, etc. (movies or TV shows)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alice Eve To Headline CBS’ ‘Early Edition’ Reboot Pilot​

Alice Eve (Belgravia) has been tapped as the lead of CBS’ drama pilot Early Edition, a gender-swapped reboot of the late-1990s series headlined by Kyle Chandler.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pitch: "We're doing Matlock, but, wait for it, this time Matlock's a woman !!"

Matlock:
CBS Reboot Pilot to Star Kathy Bates and Skye P. Marshall

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This tells me one thing:

Kathy Bates was struggling to find work.
She’s got three supporting roles in 3 movies coming out this year so I don’t think she was struggling to find work. What this tells me is she saw the chance to actually be the unquestioned star of something for the first time in ages and a HUGE payday the size of which she probably hasn’t ever seen in her entire career. CBS procedurals are amongst the last massive cash cows in the industry. So after years of being the "character actor", she's valuing her bank account and star status over the meatier acting roles she's done for years.

Headlining a CBS Procedural probably has her looking at 300-500K per episode. Probably a lot more. That’s 5-7 million for a 13 episode order, prob around 10-12 million if it’s an hit and gets 22. And that’s before residuals even kick in. It's a stunning amount of money. And if she's the EP (which I'm guessing she will be... usually seems the way it goes with movie people becoming TV stars), then it's even more money.

Looks like someone trying to follow in Queen Latifah's footsteps

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
She’s got three supporting roles in 3 movies coming out this year so I don’t think she was struggling to find work. What this tells me is she saw the chance to actually be the unquestioned star of something for the first time in ages and a HUGE payday the size of which she probably hasn’t ever seen in her entire career. CBS procedurals are amongst the last massive cash cows in the industry. So after years of being the "character actor", she's valuing her bank account and star status over the meatier acting roles she's done for years.

Headlining a CBS Procedural probably has her looking at 300-500K per episode. Probably a lot more. That’s 5-7 million for a 13 episode order, prob around 10-12 million if it’s an hit and gets 22. And that’s before residuals even kick in.
I was joking but thanks for putting me in my place.

EDIT: This was also a cheeky joke, but it doesn't come across that way.

Last edited:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

Headlining a CBS Procedural probably has her looking at 300-500K per episode. Probably a lot more. That’s 5-7 million for a 13 episode order, prob around 10-12 million if it’s an hit and gets 22. And that’s before residuals even kick in.

Wow, cool info. Good for her.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was joking but thanks for putting me in my place.

EDIT: This was also a cheeky joke, but it doesn't come across that way.
Lol… didn’t get the sarcasm. all good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, cool info. Good for her.
Yeah, she’s taking the Queen Latifah path. It’s just soooooo much money.

And my guess is she’ll probably struggle with how restrictive the creative is going to be the entire time. But again, it’s sooooooo much money and #1 on the call sheet.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

‘Starsky & Hutch’ Remake in the Works at Fox

Fire up the Gran Torino: An update of the 1970s cop show Starsky & Hutch is in the offing.

Fox is developing the project, which will feature two female characters in the title roles, via its script-to-series model. Fox Entertainment president Michael Thorn told The Hollywood Reporter he expects to have at least two scripts from writers/showrunners Sam Sklaver (Prodigal Son) and Elizabeth Peterson (The Resident) before making a decision on it.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on [finger quotes]"Starsky and Hutch."[/finger quotes]

Starsky & Hutch In Line For Gender-Flipped Reboot​

In a not-so-twisty twist, this reboot will follow in the footsteps of Ghostbusters and Ocean’s 8, changing up the original by gender-flipping the lead roles. This time, Sasha Starsky and Nicole Hutchinson will be solving crimes in Desert City. At the same time, the duo is trying to maintain their friendship and discover why their fathers have been imprisoned for a crime they didn’t commit for the last 15 years.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Making Starsky & Hutch women is lazy, why not give us a great new female detective show instead?

But Starsky & Hutch is different. It wasn’t that big, red monster of a car that made the original series successful. It wasn’t the often formulaic plots, many of them recycled from other US network series, a common practice in the 1970s.

The unrepeatable chemistry between Glaser and Soul was the key ingredient. It was the beating heart of the series. You can copy the car and the clothes, but never that. Take it away and what’s left?

Judging from a piece in The Hollywood Reporter recently, little more than the title.

If the new series gets the green light, it will apparently “center on two female detectives, Sasha Starsky, and Nicole Hutchinson. They solve crimes in the offbeat town of Desert City while staying true to their friendship, their awesomeness, and somehow also trying to unravel the mystery behind who sent their fathers to prison 15 years ago for a crime they didn’t commit.”

Given this sounds absolutely nothing like Starsky & Hutch, why call it Starsky & Hutch at all? Why not just make a completely new series featuring a pair of completely new female detectives — or would that require a little too much imagination?

Personally, I prefer David Soul’s idea. When he heard about the reboot, he tweeted: “Why not just reboot Paul and me — as a couple of old farts solving piddly-ass crimes at the assisted living facility?”

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Making Starsky & Hutch women is lazy, why not give us a great new female detective show instead?​

But Starsky & Hutch is different. It wasn’t that big, red monster of a car that made the original series successful. It wasn’t the often formulaic plots, many of them recycled from other US network series, a common practice in the 1970s.

The unrepeatable chemistry between Glaser and Soul was the key ingredient. It was the beating heart of the series. You can copy the car and the clothes, but never that. Take it away and what’s left?

Judging from a piece in The Hollywood Reporter recently, little more than the title.

If the new series gets the green light, it will apparently “center on two female detectives, Sasha Starsky, and Nicole Hutchinson. They solve crimes in the offbeat town of Desert City while staying true to their friendship, their awesomeness, and somehow also trying to unravel the mystery behind who sent their fathers to prison 15 years ago for a crime they didn’t commit.”

Given this sounds absolutely nothing like Starsky & Hutch, why call it Starsky & Hutch at all? Why not just make a completely new series featuring a pair of completely new female detectives — or would that require a little too much imagination?

Personally, I prefer David Soul’s idea. When he heard about the reboot, he tweeted: “Why not just reboot Paul and me — as a couple of old farts solving piddly-ass crimes at the assisted living facility?”
Will we get a Huggy Hippo or maybe a Huggy Rabbit?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disney Working On Gender-Swapped Splash Reboot With Channing Tatum and Jillian Bell

A remake of Disney's 1984 hit film Splash is on its way.

According to prior announcements, Jillian Bell and Channing Tatum - both of 22 Jump Street - are set to star in the Splash remake. Rather than Tatum taking on Hanks' role and Bell taking on Hannah's role, the original announcement of the remake stated that Tatum would be playing the mermaid and Bell would be playing the human.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Making Starsky & Hutch women is lazy, why not give us a great new female detective show instead?​

Seems like Cagney and Lacey would be a terrific vehicle if someone wanted to feature two female detectives. I think that show had a longer run than Starsky and Hutch did.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like Cagney and Lacey would be a terrific vehicle if someone wanted to feature two female detectives. I think that show had a longer run than Starsky and Hutch did.
Starsky and Hutch still has more brand recognition.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Heart of Stone Star Gal Gadot Rallies Against Hollywood's Obsession for Gender-Swapping Male Characters

Gal Gadot has already played some tough female characters on screen, and in Heart of Stone she is adding another action heroine to her roster of impressive roles. Her role of intelligence operative Rachel Stone is one that is already being compared to being “the female James Bond”, but while there may be similarities between the two, Gadot is not on board with the Hollywood trend of taking a male role and gender-swapping it. For that reason, she wanted to make sure that Rachel Stone was a character built on “her own DNA.”

Speaking with Total Film ahead of the action movie’s release, Gadot addressed the way Hollywood is constantly taking male movie characters and gender-swapping them without thinking about how the characters should be different beyond just their gender. She said of Heart of Stone:

“I wanted to show a great story about a female character who is doing it in the action genre. Right? She is thriving. But at the same time, how many times have they just switched gender? They take a story that all about the men and they just change it to a woman, and then go shoot it? To me, it was so important in the DNA to make Heart of Stone a little different, because men and women are different. They’re built differently, they operate differently.”

Having spent many years as Wonder Woman, it is not surprising that the actress feels passionate about bringing strong female characters to life on screen in their own right. With so many movies taking what is seen by many as the lazy option of piggybacking the success of a male-led franchise but replacing the lead or leads as females, Gadot’s perspective is one that Hollywood should try to listen to.