Suns @ Lakers Wednesday game thread 3-22-2023

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns play the second game of their three game road trip at the Lakers on Wednesday. They play at the Kings on Friday.

Suns return home to play the 76ers on Saturday on the second night of back-to-back games.

The Lakers are 34-37. They play the Magic at home later on Sunday.

Suns are 38-33 after their loss to the Thunder.

When: Wednesday, March 22nd

Television: ESPN, Bally Sports Arizona

Radio: KMVP 98.7 / S: KSUN

Time: 7 pm Arizona Time

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns traded away their 2023 1st round pick.

They do have a second round pick.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the Suns remaining schedule:

Suns have two very tough back-to back series.

March 22 @ L.A. Lakers
March 24 @ Sacramento
March 25 vs. Philadelphia
March 27 @ Utah
March 29 vs Minnesota
March 31 vs Denver
April 2 @ OKC
April 4 vs San Antonio
April 6 vs Denver
April 7 @ Lakers
April 9 vs Clippers

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welp go suns hope better team shows vs lebron lakers will be very hard gm :(

Want to see good gms by dbook mr cp3 and ayton if plays

Big test for suns fingers crossed

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
The way we are going, we will be in the play-in. But, with low expectations, we will get our 1st NBA championship. You heard it here first.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way we are going, we will be in the play-in. But, with low expectations, we will get our 1st NBA championship. You heard it here first.
I think Aerosmith has the perfect response, Dream On. :)

I've felt for awhile that we're in danger of dropping to the play-in game and maybe even worse. It's tough for a team to make a big jump when so many teams are bunched together but looking at our schedule I think we lose probably 7 or 8 more games.

We now have 33 losses. Obviously they can't all pass us but there are 8 teams behind us with no more than 37 losses right now so we're within reach for any of them.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I like that song. Maybe I should dream on. I have followed the Suns since they started and nothing else seems to work. Just promise me you will acknowledge it if I happen to be right :)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only slowness I don’t like is our transition defense.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'd like to see TJ Warren get some meaningful minutes. Craig and Ross have not defended their playing time. When things are not working you usually have to try something different. Right?

By all means, if the starters are cold from 3 (Okogie or Craig) then put in Lee and Payne early. Even Shamet. If defense is too sloppy, put in... I don't know, Ish and Okogie? Maybe Bazely?

Most importantly, beat LA.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like to see TJ Warren get some meaningful minutes. Craig and Ross have not defended their playing time. When things are not working you usually have to try something different. Right?

By all means, if the starters are cold from 3 (Okogie or Craig) then put in Lee and Payne early. Even Shamet. If defense is too sloppy, put in... I don't know, Ish and Okogie? Maybe Bazely?

Most importantly, beat LA.

Bazley is garbage. He can make some flashy plays but he sucks out loud.

IMO, with Shamet healthy, he, Lee and Ish should get every minute that Ross has been playing... it might be sacrilege here, but I wouldn't mind seeing Okogie's minutes eaten into a bit; especially on nights when he is forcing things, gambling on D and building brick houses on offense.

As for Warren, he just isn't a fit. He is a bad defender and a massive ball hog on offense, outside of true interior bigs, I don't know that there is a player in the last 20 years who passes less than him. And that isn't an exaggeration.

27.6 minutes per game as a pro and he averages 1.2 assists per game. That is a wild stat. Dude is a small forward, he flat out does not pass the ball. He shoots 12 times per assist in his career. I tried to find a custom stat builder, NBA.com and basketball reference used to have them but now they're both behind pay walls. I suspect that of any non-big in the NBA he has the highest shots per assist in the NBA in the last 10 years.

Since being traded here he has played 51 minutes and has 0 assists.

I've made the joke before, but it's only half joking... does he know that passing is a legal move? On that note... his personal fouls nearly double his career assists.

TJ Warren is a true statistical oddity.

If the Suns had to cut one player, right now, to make room for someone, I am virtually certain it would be Warren.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty seems to have an obsession with Ish and I don't think Josh Okogie is working in the staring lineup as much as I love his defensive tenacity. He simply is more effective off the bench. Since getting placed in the starting lineup in the Charlotte game.

FG% = 33%
3PT % = 29.8%
Reb = 3.3
Assists = 1.9
Steals = 1.1
Turnovers = 1.2
Points = 11.1

Off the bench the previous month?

FG% = 50%
3PT % = 46%
Reb = 5.3
Assists = 1.7
Steals = 1.9
Turnovers = 1.0
Points = 16.1

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty seems to have an obsession with Ish and I don't think Josh Okogie is working in the staring lineup as much as I love his defensive tenacity. He simply is more effective off the bench. Since getting placed in the starting lineup in the Charlotte game.

FG% = 33%
3PT % = 29.8%
Reb = 3.3
Assists = 1.9
Steals = 1.1
Turnovers = 1.2
Points = 11.1

FG% = 50%
3PT % = 46%
Reb = 5.3
Assists = 1.7
Steals = 1.9
Turnovers = 1.0
Points = 16.1

Yep the original starters have to feast first while JO is a supplementary player with the first unit. More relegated to standing in the corner.

Off the bench he has a little more room to do stuff he's good at, attacking hanging and finishing. He like to offensive rebound as well. I think he probably has the ball more, allowing him to feel more comfortable as bench player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FG% = 33%
3PT % = 29.8%
Reb = 3.3
Assists = 1.9
Steals = 1.1
Turnovers = 1.2
Points = 11.1

FG% = 50%
3PT % = 46%
Reb = 5.3
Assists = 1.7
Steals = 1.9
Turnovers = 1.0
Points = 16.1

The Suns lack size and the depth chart at PF without Durant available is basically Craig and Ish. The only other option is Baszley and I actually prefer Ish. I can't blame Monty for doing what he can with what he has. James Jones did a piss poor job of replacing Crowder and Saric. I'll give JJ a pass for Cam and Mikal because all reports seem to indicate that was more of an Ishbia decision. Saric shouldn't have been traded. This team could really use him right now and if JJ felt Baszley could produce now then he's an idiot.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns lack size and the depth chart at PF without Durant available is basically Craig and Ish. The only other option is Baszley and I actually prefer Ish. I can't blame Monty for doing what he can with what he has. James Jones did a piss poor job of replacing Crowder and Saric. I'll give JJ a pass for Cam and Mikal because all reports seem to indicate that was more of an Ishbia decision. Saric shouldn't have been traded. This team could really use him right now and if JJ felt Baszley could produce now then he's an idiot.

Yep and Saric will be a FA after this season too?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think Saric was a JJ decision? I suspect that he was told to move him, the thinking being with Durant here Dario was just a large expense they could do without. Regardless, whichever one decided it, I believe they were very wrong.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think Saric was a JJ decision? I suspect that he was told to move him, the thinking being with Durant here Dario was just a large expense they could do without. Regardless, whichever one decided it, I believe they were very wrong.
Yeah… I think that was a luxury tax move, when this team really wasn’t in any position to think there was luxury at all on this bench.

I know you’ve taken a lot of flack about your opinion on the bench, but you won’t get any from me. I thought we bargain basement shopped in the off-season, those guys played above their heads for the first 20-30 games, but it is a really bare bones bunch when all’s said and done.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FG% = 33%
3PT % = 29.8%
Reb = 3.3
Assists = 1.9
Steals = 1.1
Turnovers = 1.2
Points = 11.1

FG% = 50%
3PT % = 46%
Reb = 5.3
Assists = 1.7
Steals = 1.9
Turnovers = 1.0
Points = 16.1

Yes. The Suns definitely have a weakness at forward until Durant returns.

Wainright is playing 15.3 minutes a game but he is only shooting .38% from the field and averaging 4.2 points and 2.2 rebounds.

Bazley and Warren haven't shown anything either.

I like Josh Okogie's defense and energy but he is only shooting .402% from the field.

Personally, I think Craig should be a bench player on a good team.