Dollar Bill vs Money Mike

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Bill Bidwill was known as notoriously cheap. In his defense, the NFL was still growing and not the multibillion dollar industry it is today. I’m not defending him, but times were different and it was still a “family” business. I can see watching the bottom line.

Mikey has the fruits of the most popular sports business in history with record TV deals/money, a new stadium, and shared revenue at an all time high. Money is not an issue for any NFL owner. People are paying billions of dollars for franchises.

Yet, the Cardinals are still run like a mom/pop shop. We’ve seen the reports of the weight room and players paying for food.

Money Mike hired his second choice for GM because he lowballed his first choice. I have no proof or numbers, but I’m willing to bet the Cards coaching staff has the bottom 1-3 payroll in the entire league. I know he’s paying KK but he signed him, nobody knows why, to that extension and it was likely still one of the lowest payroll staffs in the league.
Free agency has been a bust and insignificant for years and the Cards don’t like to resign their talent, unless they’re superstars like Larry. There was a time Warner was going to leave, WTH?

So who is the worse owner? Dollar Bill or Money Mike?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bill Bidwill was known as notoriously cheap. In his defense, the NFL was still growing and not the multibillion dollar industry it is today. I’m not defending him, but times were different and it was still a “family” business. I can see watching the bottom line.

Mikey has the fruits of the most popular sports business in history with record TV deals/money, a new stadium, and shared revenue at an all time high. Money is not an issue for any NFL owner. People are paying billions of dollars for franchises.

Yet, the Cardinals are still run like a mom/pop shop. We’ve seen the reports of the weight room and players paying for food.

Money Mike hired his second choice for GM because he lowballed his first choice. I have no proof or numbers, but I’m willing to bet the Cards coaching staff has the bottom 1-3 payroll in the entire league. I know he’s paying KK but he signed him, nobody knows why, to that extension and it was likely still one of the lowest payroll staffs in the league.
Free agency has been a bust and insignificant for years and the Cards don’t like to resign their talent, unless they’re superstars like Larry. There was a time Warner was going to leave, WTH?

So who is the worse owner? Dollar Bill or Money Mike?
Honestly, there’s not much of a difference. I actually think that Bill had far more fire in his belly, but to come to Phoenix on a handshake & having to wait 20 years for a stadium is inexcusable. Even though I think that Bill had more football knowledge than Michael does, Michael is a better businessman. I honestly don’t see a Bidwill ever winning a SB.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liquid cash to pay bonuses on hand etc…. Some owners have it some don’t. Regardless of all the money through revenue sharing it’s still not an equal Playing field.

Not that that’s an excuse for as miserable as we have been consistently year after year.

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Mike didn’t have a good example of how to win in the NFL. Firing both coach and GM the year after he gave dumb 5 year extensions is not a cheap move. I believe he wants to win. He just isn’t good at it. Hopefully the new GM can guide MB to make winning decisions. But I am begging to lose my faith in this franchise.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liquid cash to pay bonuses on hand etc…. Some owners have it some don’t. Regardless of all the money through revenue sharing it’s still not an equal Playing field.

Not that that’s an excuse for as miserable as we have been consistently year after year.
Bidwill could easily have liquid cash on hand if he took out loans/sold shares. He chooses not to.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bidwill could easily have liquid cash on hand if he took out loans/sold shares. He chooses not to.
That’s also a goood way to run a business into the ground. Have to see the books to know if that’s truly feasible. It’s still not an equal playing field no matter what.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s also a goood way to run a business into the ground. Have to see the books to know if that’s truly feasible. It’s still not an equal playing field no matter what.
Not this business. The NFL and teams are seeing growth that most companies can't fathom. The Cards net worth, as terrible as they are has been going up by a hundred million dollars a year.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not this business. The NFL and teams are seeing growth that most companies can't fathom. The Cards net worth, as terrible as they are has been going up by a hundred million dollars a year.
Clearly not the case in a business that had to wait for league money to sign and pay Kylers signing bonus. Thus the reason for waiting and driving up the price a tad. We will have to agree to disagree. Other teams with richer more powerful owners have a clear advantage.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly not the case in a business that had to wait for league money to sign and pay Kylers signing bonus. Thus the reason for waiting and driving up the price a tad. We will have to agree to disagree. Other teams with richer more powerful owners have a clear advantage.
I know, and that is what I have been saying. Why are we expecting a team to spend on free agency when we have had to wait for league money? I have been saying this since January/February of 2022 when they didn't sign Kyler then. If he took out a loan, he wouldn't have to wait for that money.

I don't think we disagree at all.

volcardinal

Reaction score
As someone who has been a fan of this team for the last 50 years, Michael has accomplished more than Bill ever did. When the team went to the Super Bowl, Michael was running the team. Under Arians they went to the playoffs and NFC championship game. Two years ago they were in the playoffs. Only time they went to the playoffs under Bill was when Don Coryell and Tobin was the coach.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They are/were different kinds of frustrating.

Bill's main problem by far was being cheap, which was partly justified by the stadium issues.

I wouldn't call Michael cheap necessarily, but he is bad at his job and meddles way too much. He is like a wealthier Michael Scott.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only time they went to the playoffs under Bill was when Don Coryell and Tobin was the coach.
They also got into the playoffs at 5-4 in the strike-shortened 1982 season under Hanifan, and got clobbered by the Packers....

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bengals recent history were even worst than the Cardinals with their owner being way worse and cheap. But he turned it around to a perennial winner. Probably just struck gold on Burrows but he won with Lewis too.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Bengals recent history were even worst than the Cardinals with their owner being way worse and cheap. But he turned it around to a perennial winner. Probably just struck gold on Burrows but he won with Lewis too.
Mike Brown has ceded alot of control to his daughter Katie Blackburn and she's finally bringing the Bengals into the modern times. They are finally building them an indoor practice facility. Kind of amazing that they never previously had one.

But you're correct, the Browns and the Bidwills have been long listed among the worst owners in the NFL.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is it possible to win with crappy ownership. Short term it is, but very difficult to sustain it. Give Michael some credit for handing over the decision making to MO & Gannon right now. As painful as it may be, this is what needs to happen. I’m fine with them going scorched earth in order to sink or swim with their players & their systems.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose