Suns @ Warriors Monday game thread 3-13-2023

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He sucks every time he comes back from injury, and not just for a few games or weeks. It's taken him a month or more to be a sane and effective player out there following his recoveries. And it's not like we rush him back either, we seem to baby him for several games. At this point, considering how often he gets injured and how long it takes to get him back up to speed. I just don't see how we can count on him.
Agree. I’d keep him on the roster next season but I’d have a sure fire legit pg sitting next to him.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
A lot of the issues with the Suns bench is a legacy of Sarver. The Suns seemingly always have gone cheap with bench depth, cheaper than many other organizations. So they have filled the bench with reclamation projects and rejects, and just hoped for the best.

I guess that's fine when you are a bottom dweller, as they have long been. Not as good when you are a supposed contender. Obviously, the recent trades sapped some depth, too.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of the issues with the Suns bench is a legacy of Sarver. The Suns seemingly always have gone cheap with bench depth, cheaper than many other organizations. So they have filled the bench with reclamation projects and rejects, and just hoped for the best.

I guess that's fine when you are a bottom dweller, as they have long been. Not as good when you are a supposed contender. Obviously, the recent trades sapped some depth, too.

I think it's time to start a chapter with the new owner.

The Suns were a deep team that could have gotten deeper at the trade deadline if they had not gone for the home run.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think it's time to start a chapter with the new owner.

The Suns were a deep team that could have gotten deeper at the trade deadline if they had not gone for the home run.
Unfortunately, there was lots of opportunities to add young talent via the draft in recent years and the Suns continued to be derelict in that regard - again, a long standing issue during the Sarver years.

I do hope things change for the better under Ishbia. I know they gave up passle of draft choices in the KD trade, but I hope they maximize value with the ones they retained.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there was lots of opportunities to add young talent via the draft in recent years and the Suns continued to be derelict in that regard - again, a long standing issue during the Sarver years.

I do hope things change for the better under Ishbia. I know they gave up passle of draft choices in the KD trade, but I hope they maximize value with the ones they retained.
Agreed. They passed up plenty of opportunities to bring in young potential. And that doesn’t count blowing the stix pick.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steph just clowning the Suns now. Take note Ishbia! You ain't being handed the
O'Brien trophy this year!
Well you know they were gonna bring it they didn’t want to be swept for the season… and they get lucky to have us short handed, we shot an atrocious 19% from 3 and they needed crazy 19 3s to beat us lol with Klay going off for 33 in the first half!

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Yeah well, we can worry about tomorrow and would haves, should haves in the off-season and forever more.

Looking forward to seeing Okogie on Curry. If he does not go off and we get Ayton the ball in good positions, I think we can beat them. Hope to see some drama between Book and their shooting guard. Can't remember his name. The boat guy.

And refs, it would be great if you could call some travelling and carrying the ball on GS: guards. Thanks!
Watching the recording of the first half now. Clay Thompson is his name.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the failure to add and keep young talent is more on the philosophy of James Jonesas as a GM. He prefers to spend the money on proven talent rather draft and develop it.

I think my signature says a lot:
"Devin is great, but there are 50 skeletons tied to that swing for the star." James Jones

My hope is Ishba chooses a new direction, with or without Jones.

The Suns need to invest in more scouting and development, hopefully adding a G-League team. There was a time when the Suns were good at drafting late.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the failure to add and keep young talent is more on the philosophy of James Jonesas as a GM. He prefers to spend the money on proven talent rather draft and develop it.

I think my signature says a lot:

My hope is Ishba chooses a new direction, with or without Jones.

The Suns need to invest in more scouting and development, hopefully adding a G-League team. There was a time when the Suns were good at drafting late.
I think you might be underrating Sarver's impact on those decisions. I suspect that it's like when Mike took a stance against youth and draft picks. Sarver was only willing to spend so much money, and in so many areas.

JJ is right, experience wins out but selling the G League team and wiping out our develpmental and scouting capabilities was probably a trade-off for cost reasons. But we'll see. If JJ remains in control (and I doubt he will), we'll find out soon whether it was money or a belief system that did us in.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you might be underrating Sarver's impact on those decisions. I suspect that it's like when Mike took a stance against youth and draft picks. Sarver was only willing to spend so much money, and in so many areas.

JJ is right, experience wins out but selling the G League team and wiping out our develpmental and scouting capabilities was probably a trade-off for cost reasons. But we'll see. If JJ remains in control (and I doubt he will), we'll find out soon whether it was money or a belief system that did us in.

I'm not sure. Sarver did say he was willing to pay the luxury tax, but I don't Sarver would have approved the trade for Durant.

We will have to wait until we see how it plays out and how much of it was money versus philosophy.

Trading Cam Johnson, Mikal Bridges and a slew of draft picks for a 34 year old superstar could be a continuation of James Jones philosophy of going after proven stars rather than a money issue.

I would be a bit surprised if Ishbia wasn't the driving force that pushed the trade for Durant over the top. Without new ownership. I don't think James Jones would have included Bridges in the trade.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure. Sarver did say he was willing to pay the luxury tax, but I don't Sarver would have approved the trade for Durant.

We will have to wait until we see how it plays out and how much of it was money versus philosophy.

Trading Cam Johnson, Mikal Bridges and a slew of draft picks for a 34 year old superstar could be a continuation of James Jones philosophy of going after proven stars rather than a money issue.

I would be a bit surprised if Ishbia wasn't the driving force that pushed the trade for Durant over the top. Without new ownership. I don't think James Jones would have included Bridges in the trade.
That wasn't always the case. Even though Sarver says that? That doesn't mean he has the same limits as Isbia. The reports were that the draft picks were the sticking point not necessarily a player (Bridges). Sounds like the Nets were upfront from the Suns from day one (first trade attempt) about wanting Bridges or no deal. I think that's where all those 3 way trade rumors came from. I think James was trying to avoid including Bridges by getting the Nets another young piece.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That wasn't always the case. Even though Sarver says that? That doesn't mean he has the same limits as Isbia. The reports were that the draft picks were the sticking point not necessarily a player (Bridges). Sounds like the Nets were upfront from the Suns from day one (first trade attempt) about wanting Bridges or no deal. I think that's where all those 3 way trade rumors came from. I think James was trying to avoid including Bridges by getting the Nets another young piece.

I was hoping James Jones would have drawn the line at trading Mikal Bridges and certainly not given the Nets everything they wanted. And the Nets got everything they wanted.

IMO, keeping Bridges was even more important than the draft picks and swap. It's so unlike James Jones to cave in to outrageous demands in a trade.

Only a gut feeling, but I think the Suns owner pushed the trade over the top.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping James Jones would have drawn the line at trading Mikal Bridges and certainly not given the Nets everything they wanted. And the Nets got everything they wanted.

IMO, keeping Bridges was even more important than the draft picks and swap. It's so unlike James Jones to cave in to outrageous demands in a trade.

Only a gut feeling, but I think the Suns owner pushed the trade over the top.
And keeping Bridges lessens the value of those picks, trading him for an old guy greatly increases their value.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the day comes when we learn just what JJ wanted to do and why Ish overruled him (if he did). That aspect of the deal worries me less than the deal itself but having put up with a meddlesome owner for all these years, I'm really hoping we didn't just trade him in for a meddler with more money even though I love the more money part

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And keeping Bridges lessens the value of those picks, trading him for an old guy greatly increases their value.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the day comes when we learn just what JJ wanted to do and why Ish overruled him (if he did). That aspect of the deal worries me less than the deal itself but having put up with a meddlesome owner for all these years, I'm really hoping we didn't just trade him in for a meddler with more money even though I love the more money part

Only my opinion, but I think James Jones wanted to trade for Kevin Durant within limits. Including Bridges in the trade exceeded those limits, especially with everything else the Suns included.

My early thoughts are the Suns have a fan owner with money that has good intentions. But like with any new NBA owner, there is a learning curve. I wish Ishbia would have waded into the shallow end of the pool first.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only my opinion, but I think James Jones wanted to trade for Kevin Durant within limits. Including Bridges in the trade exceeded those limits, especially with everything else the Suns included.

My early thoughts are the Suns have a fan owner with money that has good intentions. But like with any new NBA owner, there is a learning curve. I wish Ishbia would have waded into the shallow end of the pool first.
I agree although I'd also hope he'd insist on protections for a couple of those picks.

Ishbia doesn't seem to be the fish out of water that Sarver has always been and right now is wealthy enough to pursue championships without penny pinching. But I'm still hoping this was a one time interference and that he will either trust JJ's recommendations or bring in someone he does trust. And again, that's assuming that he did interfere in this trade. In truth, we really don't know right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree although I'd also hope he'd insist on protections for a couple of those picks.

Ishbia doesn't seem to be the fish out of water that Sarver has always been and right now is wealthy enough to pursue championships without penny pinching. But I'm still hoping this was a one time interference and that he will either trust JJ's recommendations or bring in someone he does trust. And again, that's assuming that he did interfere in this trade. In truth, we really don't know right now.

The Suns totally caved into the Nets every demand. Still, money doesn't guarantee championships.

My confidence in James Jones as the Suns GM has been wavering since the 2020 draft.

And what about how he handled the Crowder situation?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO, I don't think that was the case. Maybe it was an either or....either you get Bridges or you get all those picks. Especially, since Sarver was in control round one. However, Bridges being part of the deal was always out there from day one. That was reported all over the place. If you are the Nets and trading KD? I want your best player not named Booker. To me that is entirely reasonable.

If you are the Nets your goal in trading any valuable asset is to get a young core piece in return.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, I don't think that was the case. Maybe it was an either or....either you get Bridges or you get all those picks. Especially, since Sarver was in control round one. However, Bridges being part of the deal was always out there from day one. That was reported all over the place. If you are the Nets and trading KD? I want your best player not named Booker. To me that is entirely reasonable.

If you are the Nets your goal in trading any valuable asset is to get a young core piece in return.

The Suns could have said no, we are not trading Bridges. It's not like Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder, expirings, 4 draft picks and a swap was garbage.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns could have said no, we are not trading Bridges. It's not like Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder, expirings, 4 draft picks and a swap was garbage.
Cam Johnson, Crowder and 4 draft picks likely to be high 1st rounders is not going to net you a player like KD. If I were the Nets I would have said no deal without Bridges too. There is not a player of KD's caliber in the league that would have taken Cam J instead of Bridges in a deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson, Crowder and 4 draft picks likely to be high 1st rounders is not going to net you a player like KD. If I were the Nets I would have said no deal without Bridges too. There is not a player of KD's caliber in the league that would have taken Cam J instead of Bridges in a deal.

Bridges is where I would have drawn the line and told the Nets to have a nice day and to say hello to Ben Simmons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave