WWYD? Two games remaining on Ish Wainwright's contract

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So just listened to the James Jones interview and I have a few thoughts.

First off Jones has been much more open and honest lately in his interviews, and as a fan I very much appreciate it.

So, he basically said the Suns were interested in Love, but Love was more interested in Miami because of the opportunity he would get to play there.

He also said he is not worried about the backup point guard position - basically said with Durant and Book, he feels they have the ability to run the offense and someone like Okogie can bring the ball up. So this is a pretty good indication we aren't interested in Wall or filling the roster spot with a PG.

He hinted that they are leaning towards keeping Ish, but that they may not do it right away, because he can stay on the bench but just not play under the 2 way. Basically sounds like they may just leave the last spot open for awhile.

Once the trade deadline is over with it is probably easier to tell the truth.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn't much time, a week from today is the deadline to sign a player that will be available for the playoffs.

A player has to be waived before March 1st in order to be playoff eligible for a new team. A team can convert their own two-way players to a standard deal and make them playoff eligible up to the last day of the regular season.

Remember how Frank was waived the final week of last season so they could convert Ish to a standard deal? Only now we have a free roster spot so no one needs waived.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A player has to be waived before March 1st in order to be playoff eligible for a new team. A team can convert their own two-way players to a standard deal and make them playoff eligible up to the last day of the regular season.

Remember how Frank was waived the final week of last season so they could convert Ish to a standard deal? Only now we have a free roster spot so no one needs waived.

I think that was a mistake too. Frank seemed like a coach on the court, even when he wasn’t playing he was constantly in guys ears, everybody liked him.

Glue guys matter.

The locker room went into a funk at the end of the year, it might not have mattered but I can’t help but think dumping Frank right before the playoffs didn’t help.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love Ish but with the departure of Cam and Mikal this isn't about love anymore. This is about you better get me a Larry soon.
You have 3.5 years to get this done. Get some ballers and let them play.
By ballers I don't mean Kyrie and Draymond, I would still like to cheer for a team I can respect.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

That makes more sense. Thanks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that was a mistake too. Frank seemed like a coach on the court, even when he wasn’t playing he was constantly in guys ears, everybody liked him.

Glue guys matter.

The locker room went into a funk at the end of the year, it might not have mattered but I can’t help but think dumping Frank right before the playoffs didn’t help.

I would have preferred the Suns keep Frank as well but I don't think he recovered from injury before the playoffs. It was probably more the Suns wanting to have another healthy player in Ish.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I hope the Suns add a player on a two-way contract with the opening. It would be nice to develop a younger player.

Maybe bring back Duane Washington Jr.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I honestly don’t get the ish thing. He’s alright. Has gotte better from 3. But it’s not like he actually uses that size to bully smaller players and has no real other skills.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I honestly don’t get the ish thing. He’s alright. Has gotte better from 3. But it’s not like he actually uses that size to bully smaller players and has no real other skills.

He is liked by the team, gives full effort, and has a good attitude. He is exactly what you want from a 15th man on the bench that will never sniff the court in the playoffs.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He is liked by the team, gives full effort, and has a good attitude. He is exactly what you want from a 15th man on the bench that will never sniff the playoffs.
And if we happen to get to the finals and face the Bucks he is a wide body you can throw at Giannis for a few minutes at least.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

At least it means Carmelo, Wall, ect ect are off the table.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He’s a minimum player. What’s the big deal?
To me he’s fungible. And he’s not young. So we are kind of wasting a roster spot on a limited player who doesn’t have much upside. I’d use that slot on a younger developmental guy. Not a big deal. Just a minor criticism.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose