Since Gannon Didn’t Excite Me

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Overall I wanted Payton, but would have settled for Flores. I realize Bidwill couldn‘t convince either one to take the job.

Eh. I think about this differently. Yes, they wanted Payton but didn't get him. If they wanted Flores, they would have offered him the job. They were stringing him, Kafka, and Lou out to wait for Gannon. Flores knew it (gut feeling) and took the DC job. Nobody else was interviewing him for a HC role...think about that.

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
Eh. I think about this differently. Yes, they wanted Payton but didn't get him. If they wanted Flores, they would have offered him the job. They were stringing him, Kafka, and Lou out to wait for Gannon. Flores knew it (gut feeling) and took the DC job. Nobody else was interviewing him for a HC role...think about that.
Very much this. Flores was only interviewed as a HC here. It is NOT a loss that we didn't get him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going on record that I'm not a fan of him getting so close to the players when he first meets them

Calling them bro and hugging

Players are like, "hello coach" and he's "what up bro?"

IMO there needs to be a line and you establish it from the start for respect reasons

If it's broken from the start, it's hard to draw it later

This reeks of a sales job to MB and Ossie and he's basically the same type coach as KK

I get the enthusiasm, but there's many ways to go about it
You really think this is middle school football lol

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The only argument really of any coaches that got away is for Payton and Ryans. Payton obviously cost draft pick compensation, hefty salary, AND reportedly wants substantial say in all organizational matters.

Ryans likely had the Texans as his dream job anyway, so getting him was an uphill fight...I think if you asked a group of 100 football men, which job is better, Broncos or Texans, it would be unanimous that the Broncos is a better job.

Even then, I wouldn't doubt if the Cardinals would have still waited to interview Gannon.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going on record that I'm not a fan of him getting so close to the players when he first meets them

IMO there needs to be a line and you establish it from the start for respect reasons

This reeks of a sales job to MB and Ossie and he's basically the same type coach as KK

Lot to do about nothing. As fans We are craving discipline and hard nose attitude. I don’t think the day you name your head coach is the day players should be lined up against the wall with their toes on the line.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lot to do about nothing. As fans We are craving discipline and hard nose attitude. I don’t think the day you name your head coach is the day players should be lined up against the wall with their toes on the line.

I think a good example here is Pete Caroll. He's a very rah rah, back slapping coach but you don't do your job he's going to let you know.

Actually thinking on it quite a lot of coaches are just like Gannon in this video. McVay. McCarthy. Zac Taylor. DeMeco Ryans. Andy Reid. Sirianni.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not talking about a drill sergeant type discipline

Respect the line between players/friends and coach

No more coach bro

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think you’re just witnessing a change in how the next generation of coaches interacts with a new generation of players. I think the way they greet one and other is changing, but that needn’t reflect how a coach challenges, or holds accountable, players.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you’re just witnessing a change in how the next generation of coaches interacts with a new generation of players. I think the way they greet one and other is changing, but that needn’t reflect how a coach challenges, or holds accountable, players.
It's possible

I am old fashioned and believe in certain things

Respect is a big part of being a boss and there is a delicate line

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

You’re making way too much of a scripted social media post.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully, the NFL uses what Flores did here to counter his lawsuit. He was offered a second interview to be an NFL head coach and instead took a coordinator job with a different team. Case closed. You cannot cry about not being a head coach in this league, say it is because of racism, then withdraw your name from consideration for a second interview (when all of the talking heads are saying the job is yours for the taking) and be taken seriously.
Had he turned the job down period, I'd be in 100% agreeance with you B. I hope the lawsuit moves forward but the optics of such a move will weigh on the end result I think either way. Candidates are certainly entitled to withdraw consideration if they feel they're not being seriously considered, but then the question arises, how do you know? I believe Flores had as good a shot as any to get this job.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's possible

I am old fashioned and believe in certain things

Respect is a big part of being a boss and there is a delicate line
I believe in respect too. But there’s a difference between respect and fear. My employees respect me because I treat them like human beings and I’m relatable. They feared my predecessor. Their happiness, and thus their engagement, loyalty, willingness to do more than the minimum has gone through the roof.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe in respect too. But there’s a difference between respect and fear. My employees respect me because I treat them like human beings and I’m relatable. They feared my predecessor. Their happiness, and thus their engagement, loyalty, willingness to do more than the minimum has gone through the roof.
That's great that you have a solid management system in place and it sounds like your employees are responding :thumbup:

I'm not talking about any kind of fear

But we both agree that there has to be a line

I'm saying that JG crossed that line on the first day

Hugging players and calling them bro when he first meets them is crossing the line

Now he has to put the toothpaste back in tube

Get to know the players and build the relationships and then you can get personal with them

Can it be done?

We'll see

Like I said his enthusiasm is really strong, but it needs to be under control

Like BA said, coach them hard, hug them later

After saying all this I have to say I've never run a football team, only played on them so this is strictly my opinion

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Well said

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Had he turned the job down period, I'd be in 100% agreeance with you B. I hope the lawsuit moves forward but the optics of such a move will weigh on the end result I think either way. Candidates are certainly entitled to withdraw consideration if they feel they're not being seriously considered, but then the question arises, how do you know? I believe Flores had as good a shot as any to get this job.
I think Flores took the sure thing as DC instead of waiting to find out about the HC job. I don’t blame him for taking the sure thing. But to call it being turned down is just twisting words to make a point.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So for those of you who weren't impressed, what could he have said that would have impressed you?

If not him, then who?
I'm not a huge BA fan, not like some, but I think what we needed was similar to when he came in and said, "I'm going to cuss them out and hug them later."

That is the correct message for this team at this time. Completely different attitude and culture. Established immediately.

Gannon did the opposite by going on a hugging tour. Sprinting to Kyler in the weight room. Even Mikey B was like wait, uh, hold up, I can't run that fast. Sprints like the Flash to Rondale Moore, blow blow, space lasers, shots, shots, shots, isn't Madden so much fun!?

That's amateur hour. That's a position coach trying to motivate a whole team, and it isn't the same.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I'm not a huge BA fan, not like some, but I think what we needed was similar to when he came in and said, "I'm going to cuss them out and hug them later."

That is the correct message for this team at this time. Completely different attitude and culture. Established immediately.

Gannon did the opposite by going on a hugging tour. Sprinting to Kyler in the weight room. Even Mikey B was like wait, uh, hold up, I can't run that fast. Sprints like the Flash to Rondale Moore, blow blow, space lasers, shots, shots, shots, isn't Madden so much fun!?

That's amateur hour. That's a position coach trying to motivate a whole team, and it isn't the same.
Yeah, it was staged. Well scripted, but obvious.