Assuming it is down to the final three (Poll)

Who do you want the Cardinals to hire?

• Mike Kafka

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Lou Anarumo

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Brian Flores

Votes: 38 36.9%

• Total voters

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Of course I san argue this has changed while holding Kyler to what he said. They aren't remotely the same thing.

Caldwell was never quoted. It was a rumor based on him turning down an interview with the Commanders. And it's perfectly reasonable for him to prioritise head coaching jobs at the beginning of the hiring cycle if that is his preference.

It's also perfectly logical that now it's clear that he's not getting a HC job that his position might change. His options are now sit at home (which he has done since 2019) or take what he can.

I'm not sure how that's remotely connected to Kyler's own words that have been correberated by leaks from players saying his study has been poor. Words you yourself believe to be true.
Sources telling a reporter what Caldwell told them is no different than you reading an article by someone quoting what Kyler told them. There just isn't a New York Times article broadcasting the conversation.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sources telling a reporter what Caldwell told them is no different than you reading an article by someone quoting what Kyler told them. There just isn't a New York Times article broadcasting the conversation.

I mean, one is Kyler's literal words in quote marks signed off by his agent.

I'm not even saying Caldwell didn't say he wasn't interested in an OC job on January 12th 5 days into the hiring cycle. But he's not getting one. So why wouldn't his position now change?

His options are now OC or retire.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flores has been at the top of my list for some time now and I'm hoping that he will soon be announced as the Cardinals future HC.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I mean, one is Kyler's literal words in quote marks signed off by his agent.

I'm not even saying Caldwell didn't say he wasn't interested in an OC job on January 12th 5 days into the hiring cycle. But he's not getting one. So why wouldn't his position now change?

His options are now OC or retire.
Well, Kyler did his article and has not been as productive since so why wouldn't his position change?

I don't mind the argument, your inconsistency in applying it is the issue.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Went with Lou. To be truthful, I really have no idea how any of them could turn out. Lou seems like a guy who has paid his dues, level headed and has the capacity to take on a project like this with enough ties to find guys in the NFL who would be hungry and qualified to do the job. I like Flores but then also am scared of the hire based on what the media says but then tell myself when was the last time the media was accurate. Regarding Flores and a young QB, I also do not know Tua and regardless of character it's a fool's errand to take two different individuals as Tua and Murray and think you can equate a similar outcome. I do know Flores had actual experience of coaching in a storm on a freaking raft and the Cardinals right now are a log on a Typhoon. Kafka, might not be ready to be a head coach which is different than being a OC and who would he know to hire to fill the positions and then I see Vance Joseph lurking in the background as the franchise hire

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Flores is a safer pick. He has HC experience, familiar with our GM.
However I don’t know why he was never given the DC role in New England. But was a scout.

Lou has been a DC for 3 years and thats it.

Kafka has been an OC for 1 year and that’s it.

It comes down whoever is on the same page as the front office and whoever has the better staff, OC, DC

Nick Sirianni was a three-year offensive coordinator who didn't call plays under Frank Reich before he got the Philly job... that's it!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, Kyler did his article and has not been as productive since so why wouldn't his position change?

I don't mind the argument, your inconsistency in applying it is the issue.

It's not inconsistent.

One is a logic problem and the other is an attitude problem. They are not remotely the same thing. Caldwell is a simple (If not A then B) equation.

I've never argued that Kyler can't change so there is no inconsistency. Kyler absolutely CAN change his study habits. But considering when he made those comments (coming at the end of a season where he sucked down the stretch) and that he'd never blown the league away before that I don't believe he will change because he has an attitude issue.

If I had evidence that Caldwell had a similar attitude problem that would prevent him changing his stance I'd factor that in too. But considering he agreed to join Flores staff before I don't.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well then he will be gone. Grow up or shut up Kyler. This isn’t high school anymore.

I absolutely hate the idea that Kyler needs a HC that jerks him off and thinks his **** don't stink.

That he's got to be handled like a Chinese puzzle box. Just twist here, slide there, press this button and voila, you unlocked Kyler. If you're QB is that much hard work you have the wrong QB.

If your head coach search is limited by that you might as well hire Kevin Murray.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the idea that Kyler needs a HC that jerks him off and thinks his **** don't stink.

That he's got to be handled like a Chinese puzzle box. Just twist here, slide there, press this button and voila, you unlocked Kyler. If you're QB is that much hard work you have the wrong QB.

If your head coach search is limited by that you might as well hire Kevin Murray.
Flores wouldn’t necessarily treat Kyler like a jerk. That would be up to Kyler. I can pretty much believe Kyler wouldn’t be screaming in Flores face. If he did he’d be sitting for a series or two.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fine, by me. I’m all for new blood. :D

But, I wouldn’t mind Anarumo, or even Flores.:doi::mrgreen::billthecat::billthecat:

i kinda have a Charlie Brown personality. :)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not advocating for Flores. I think Anamuro would be my choice.
But if you go by the MO press conference it would lean toward Flores.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was already banging the table for Lou Anarumo, but you put him on a list with the other 2 guys and it seems even more obvious of a choice.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's not inconsistent.

One is a logic problem and the other is an attitude problem. They are not remotely the same thing. Caldwell is a simple (If not A then B) equation.

I've never argued that Kyler can't change so there is no inconsistency. Kyler absolutely CAN change his study habits. But considering when he made those comments (coming at the end of a season where he sucked down the stretch) and that he'd never blown the league away before that I don't believe he will change because he has an attitude issue.

If I had evidence that Caldwell had a similar attitude problem that would prevent him changing his stance I'd factor that in too. But considering he agreed to join Flores staff before I don't.
Caldwell's stance was like 45 days ago...Kyler's was over a year. Big difference.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I’m not advocating for Flores. I think Anamuro would be my choice.
But if you go by the MO press conference it would lean toward Flores.
Lou is last up on the interview list for a reason, I think...I just can't figure out if its a good reason or a bad one.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's not inconsistent.

It may come off as ageism, but Caldwell is 68 and it's been some time since his best work. I have a hard time imagining him doing all of the time-consuming hard work needed as an O-C at this point.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
If it is Flores, then Bidwill's opening lines are already written.

"Got our man! Top of our list! Due diligence! NFL criteria! Going Forward! Work together! On to the Draft! Only up from here!"

And the moral to all Cardinal stories: "All things come to those we wait."

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Weird that Denver literally held Evero for Payton to interview, before releasing him, yet nobody in this board or in the media had an issue with it.
I'm sure there was interest in retaining him and, maybe, for him to stay on. But, after the interview, both sides seem to have mutually agreed to part ways. No problem at all with it. He got a job before the door even shut on the interview.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It may come off as ageism, but Caldwell is 68 and it's been some time since his best work. I have a hard time imagining him doing all of the time-consuming hard work needed as an O-C at this point.
That is why I think Caldwell could be better as the qb coach not the OC. Remember that he has a very good relationship with Flores and might come in to help him. BA brought in Tom Moore as assistant Head Coach offense. Caldwell could be a senior staff advisor just working with Kyler.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird that Denver literally held Evero for Payton to interview, before releasing him, yet nobody in this board or in the media had an issue with it.
Gee… maybe that’s because Evero is actually a GOOD defensive coordinator as opposed to VJ, who’s defenses have sucked the majority of his time with the Cardinals.

Weird is the idea that we might saddle a SECOND consecutive Head Coach with a bad Defensive Coordinator who was handpicked by an out of control drunk GM… who doesn’t even work for the team anymore.

These continued/laughable attempts to catch other board members in gotcha moments to defend the highly questionable moves by our franchise just keep failing miserably.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm sure there was interest in retaining him and, maybe, for him to stay on. But, after the interview, both sides seem to have mutually agreed to part ways. No problem at all with it. He got a job before the door even shut on the interview.
Exactly...same could be with Vance, right? I mean, WE (fans) don't want to retain him in any capacity, but to say the Cardinals are holding him hostage or should let him out of his contract, before a new coach gets to talk to him is silly, IMO. We also haven't heard a peep that he wants to leave...I'm sure if there was any animosity, we'd hear something leaked, right? If I've missed it, let me know, but I haven't seen anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave