Would Brian Flores really be all that bad??

Should Cardinals hire Brian Flores as Head Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 42.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 33 28.2%

• Total voters

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And let’s not forget that our Assistant GM came from the Lions too. When we hired MO, Bidwill did sound like it was his ultimate goal to create a franchise that stood the test of time. A team that could win over much longer stretches of time than what this franchise has ever been able to do. I still think that Payton didn’t fit that mindset. Payton would have been like BA, in that his decisions would provide very quick results. And once that window slammed shut, we would be back in a similar position that BA left us in. Could it be Glenn? Who knows. Hell it could be any of these guys & it would seem to better fit what MB & MO want to do here. Bidwill may say we’re not in a rebuild, but we almost have to be. The system he wants to build will not happen overnight. Doesn’t mean we can’t be a better TEAM than last year, but like the Lions under Campbell, it could take a couple years to see actual results from a win/loss standpoint.
I think what wrong with the Arians years was Keim. He got lazy and rested on his laurels.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think what wrong with the Arians years was Keim. He got lazy and rested on his laurels.
I attended a few events whenever they BOTH came back to PA for speaking engagements. They were attached to each other’s hip. And they knew each other for many years beforehand as they both were originally from the York, PA area. It was Keim who sold BA to MB. I don’t believe Michael would have hired BA. Very different people indeed. Keim’s initial success was helped out in large measure because of BA. And BA had tremendous say in almost everything. With the almost immediate success they had, I think they both got a little cocky. BA is such a strong personality & he was always successful convincing both Keim & MB that we were a player away from a Super Bowl. And at a times, he may have been right. Injuries derailed any opportunity to do that & the roster eventually go too old. BA wasn’t hanging around for a rebuild.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not on fire for Kafka, but his resume seems pretty decent. You can argue he's more qualified, or at least as qualified as Eric Bienemy. Being QB coach for Mahomes, there's no questioning his actual role in the offense. He's actually done what Bienemy needs to do...break from Reid in order to get the next promotion.

This is why you can't go off stats. Has anyone here every heard Kafka interviewed? He's this super chilled, softly spoken dude that puts you to sleep. He's about as engaging as a tea bag. Nothing about his personality screams he'll make a great HC.

Not saying he won't at some point but it's not evident.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This is why you can't go off stats. Has anyone here every heard Kafka interviewed? He's this super chilled, softly spoken dude that puts you to sleep. He's about as engaging as a tea bag. Nothing about his personality screams he'll make a great HC.

If you based things off of interview engagement, Dave McGinnis would be more qualified than Bill Belichick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Andy Reid seems this way too.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Keim was one of the first group if not the first to focus on “make good” contracts. BA benefited from that and Keim’s trades. However, I think the league figured that out also. He just couldn’t hit big on the draft. I’m not sure he didn’t try, I just think he couldn’t figure it out; too many variables.

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Sounds like you described Tom Landry.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Yup, what an unengaging coach with zero personality. lol

Seems just fine to me.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup, what an unengaging coach with zero personality. lol

Seems just fine to me.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Well he doesn't to me. That's how opinions work.

He's dull AF and looks like a bobble head toy of himself.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Belichek had Brady
Payton had Brees
Reid has Mahommes
A good coach makes a great QB.
A great QB makes the coach look better.
Both are necessary to make a winning team.
Kyler can be that guy but he needs the right coach. The question is if there are any available coaches that can develop Kyler. It’s obvious where this team is headed if not. Sean Payton was the right choice but my guess is he would rather work with Russell Wilson than Kyler Murray, then draft and develop his own choice to replace Wilson.
My hope is that Bidwill’s choice hinges on the development of Kyler Murray.
Who is that guy?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Glenn is getting a poor rep around here. Yes his Lions record is not great on paper but that was a team in turmoil that's going to take a while to turn around, and he's done that. He's apparently a great leader and coach. Players love working for him. He's very highly respected around the league. And he has a little scouting and FO work on his CV too so understands that side of football.
Making pre-excuses for the worst resume candidate is high level Brit work.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
who is their fourth choice??
Hell, who was their first choice?
I mean, fans obviously have favorites... but I havent seen the team come out and say, "we love this guy and we are gonna go get him" have you?
They’re literally never going to say that. Never.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
well of course!!

but I have done interviews...and it wasnt uncommon to have to go through quite a few before, "Thats my guy"
True, but if you’re interviewing is anything like mine you’re starting from scratch interviewing those people. You typically have zero insight. That’s not the case with owners interviewing coaches.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think any team has hired a staff yet so we are, at most, only a few days behind.

Reich has been in place the longest and I don't think has hired anyone yet.
Your failure is to recognize the fact that we have no idea what conversations they’ve had. Hire or no I’m guaranteeing they’ve spoken to their first choices, who might still be HC candidates, and likely even second chiices if their primary choices fall through. Sorry, there’s just no excuse available to counter the fact that they’ve got an enormous head start in building staffs. We will have to hang our hat on our HC being someone that people really want to coach with. Color me skeptical.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I joked earlier that it would be so Cardinals to hire a coach with 1/2 season of success.
But it was that success was in the 2nd half. During KK tenure, we crashed the 2nd half.

Combine their powers together, maybe we can get a complete season lol.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Lions had a top 10 defense in the 2nd half of the season.

We aren't hiring a defensive coordinator. We're looking for a head coach. They are 2 very different things. If they weren't then every great coordinator would be a great HC right?

Glenn is very highly regarded around the league. I'd imagine that's why we interviewed him. He has a very good rep as a leader and from what I've read the Org and fans love him.
The old “ignore his general failure at his primary responsibility the last two seasons because he might be better if promoted to an even more daunting position” philosophy. Feels a lot like hiring a guy who just got canned from his alma mater . . .

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One of the local shows had others around the league questioning Kafka being interviewed at all. Said he was not a "leader of men." Really portrayed him in a less-than-stellar light.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I for one think Flores is our best possible option and was our best realistic possible option all along considering he doesn't cost us any draft picks and can immediately get to work on his side of the ball

He is a hard ass, holds players accountable and I think he learned a whole hell of a lot in Miami - and will probably do things a little differently in his second go around meaning I don't think he'd publicly belittle Kyler Murray on the field but he would bench Kyler Murray if Kyler Murray tried to publicly belittle him - which is where I think Kingsbury officially lost the team

Then there's our defense - where Flores makes his living. Accessing and utilizing talent is what we never accomplished with players like Reddick under Vance Joseph. I think we also have some underutilized talent still on the team.

I think we will know who our next head coach is by this Friday. I think his name will be Brian Flores. And I think it's going to piss a lot of people on this board off lol but I don't think Monti would ride or die with someone he didn't truly believe in, and Monti seems to be considered a good hire by most on this board so that'll be fun
Though it doesn’t always work, I would think a cerebral coach who failed on the first go round would be much better the second (see Carroll and belicheck). I think he’s the type of personality this team needs. I also think he did a nice job the first time around - wasn’t a total failure despite his ownership working against him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson