Avatar: The Way of Water (aka Avatar 2)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ve seen one Cameron movie in the theater a record 13 times. I will say it was back when dollar theaters were still around.
Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any movie in the theater more than twice.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any movie in the theater more than twice.
Yeah, I figured it was Titanic for Chap only because it's the first movie outside of Star Wars where I had heard people went to it multiple times. Mostly the women I knew. I had seen it twice only because the first time was with my friends to see the coolness of the ship sinking. The second time because word of mouth made my girlfriend at the time beg me to take her to see it because I had no intention of going to the theater to see it again.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured it was Titanic for Chap only because it's the first movie outside of Star Wars where I had heard people went to it multiple times. Mostly the women I knew. I had seen it twice only because the first time was with my friends to see the coolness of the ship sinking. The second time because word of mouth made my girlfriend at the time beg me to take her to see it because I had no intention of going to the theater to see it again.
Thanks for that.

Therapist on speed dial in 3, 2, 1...

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

Therapist on speed dial in 3, 2, 1...
I am not knocking you. Only that it seemed women were the primary drivers of multiple views. I seriously know several of my friends who girlfriends made them go see it multiple times because of the love story. Most of the guys like me who went multiple times were in it to see the ship sink and the spectacle it was.

P.S. I totally forgot I went to see it again when they did the 3D release.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am not knocking you. Only that it seemed women were the primary drivers of multiple views. I seriously know several of my friends who girlfriends made them go see it multiple times because of the love story. Most of the guys like me who went multiple times were in it to see the ship sink and the spectacle it was.
That's why I saw it and at the time it was a cheap way to spend 3 hours. Plus, I've been in love with watching movies in the movie theater since I was a kid -- it's what made me pursue filmmaking in high school. I even managed a film festival in Tucson way back in the day.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I saw it and at the time it was a cheap way to spend 3 hours. Plus, I've been in love with watching movies in the movie theater since I was a kid -- it's what made me pursue filmmaking in high school. I even managed a film festival in Tucson way back in the day.
Really? Which one? I have been to a bunch and in Tuscon too. You know around what time frame? I know I have said this in the past, but I was a Film/TV major before I dropped out of college the first time. Did a short internship at PBS. I am still a movie theater buff.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Really? Which one? I have been to a bunch and in Tuscon too. You know around what time frame? I know I have said this in the past, but I was a Film/TV major before I dropped out of college the first time. Did a short internship at PBS. I am still a movie theater buff.
Arizona International Film Festival. Would have been back in 1995-1997 or thereabouts. Used to manage the Screening Room in downtown Tucson.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona International Film Festival. Would have been back in 1995-1997 or thereabouts. Used to manage the Screening Room in downtown Tucson.
I definitely would have been there around 95-96. My brother lived in Tuscon at the time.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen Tombstone more times than I can count....... and will watch it again.

"Maybe poker just isn't your game. I know..... let's have a spelling contest."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Growing up in Tucson in the 1990’s also makes sense why you saw that movie so many times in the theater. Not a whole lot to do there unless you’re in college. I’m sure that’s prkby changed over the years but it was really just a college town back then.

Not that there was a ton in Phoenix either but there were a bunch of malls and… I guess castles and coasters to entertain bored youth.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Growing up in Tucson in the 1990’s also makes sense why you saw that movie so many times in the theater. Not a whole lot to do there unless you’re in college. I’m sure that’s prkby changed over the years but it was really just a college town back then.

Not that there was a ton in Phoenix either but there were a bunch of malls and… I guess castles and coasters to entertain bored youth.
You mean it's not just a college town anymore?

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My take on Avatar 2

Non spoiler stuff - The 3D was fine, IMHO. Nothing really over the top, but it looked good. I do agree with another poster who noted that it would be fine in 2D, as well. I saw it on a standard sized screen, so some of the effects that seem enhanced on IMAX were absent. The 3 hours pretty much blew by for me. It kept my attention and interest throughout. The kids angle was just approaching the "enough already" mark, but didn't surpass it for me. Obvious big brother/little brother sub-plot, but it was okay.

I really didn't like it that they saved the bad guy. Bringing him back in the beginning as they did (along with his buddies) was more than a bit over the top but it worked. But two movies with the same bad guy are enough. The underwater stuff, all of it, was out-friggin' standing. Battle sequences also outstanding. The bad guys wearing khakis was silly. Really enjoyed the tip o' the hat (intentional or otherwise) to Paul Watson/Whale Wars. All in all, it was about what I expected.... It was a 4 out of 5 experience for me.

Question, though. It appears to me that Sigorney Weaver's daughter has her special powers because her mother's spirit resides in Eywa (in the first movie the transfer from human to Na'iv didn't work for her so her spirit remained with Eywa?) Am I interpreting that correctly?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My take on Avatar 2

Non spoiler stuff - The 3D was fine, IMHO. Nothing really over the top, but it looked good. I do agree with another poster who noted that it would be fine in 2D, as well. I saw it on a standard sized screen, so some of the effects that seem enhanced on IMAX were absent. The 3 hours pretty much blew by for me. It kept my attention and interest throughout. The kids angle was just approaching the "enough already" mark, but didn't surpass it for me. Obvious big brother/little brother sub-plot, but it was okay.

I really didn't like it that they saved the bad guy. Bringing him back in the beginning as they did (along with his buddies) was more than a bit over the top but it worked. But two movies with the same bad guy are enough. The underwater stuff, all of it, was out-friggin' standing. Battle sequences also outstanding. The bad guys wearing khakis was silly. Really enjoyed the tip o' the hat (intentional or otherwise) to Paul Watson/Whale Wars. All in all, it was about what I expected.... It was a 4 out of 5 experience for me.

Question, though. It appears to me that Sigorney Weaver's daughter has her special powers because her mother's spirit resides in Eywa (in the first movie the transfer from human to Na'iv didn't work for her so her spirit remained with Eywa?) Am I interpreting that correctly?
I think they’re setting up a Christ-like story for that character.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, I haven't been back to Tucson since I graduated from UofA in 1997, so I'm sure there have been a lot of changes. But UofA still dominates that city I believe.
You should visit - Downtown Tucson has a lot of good restaurants and nightclubs.

Always crowded on the weekends and evenings whenever I have passed through there (quickest way to/from Alex's sister's house takes us down Congress to Aviation Parkway)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose