Got Any Smart Ways to Speed Up the Game

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I don´t think the refs should be able to interfere with the pace of the game, especially when doing so is an advantage to one or the other team. That is part of the problem and the thing some fans dislike about the replay rule, which in general is fine to get an important call correct.

My point is that whan a team runs a fast offense or is simply picking up their pace when they have the other team on the ropes, tired, out of sync, or whatever, that isn't the time for a ref to stop the action. It is unfair to the team that is pressing the action, gives the D a rest and a chance to get organized, etc. Very unfair to one of the teams.

Even for a replay, if the clock is running and the offensive team is rushing the action, the refs shouldn't interfere in the flow of the game. They made the last call, live with it unless the clock isn't running, there is a break in the action, and/or neither team is given any advantage in doing so.

I think this is one major thing we all dislike and gives the refs too much authority to control and influence the play of the game. Many times when they stop the action, they are giving one or the other team a chance to see how the O or D is lining up, what is the call, etc. We need to scale back on the refs having that kind of control over the game and interference in what a team is trying to do or is about to do.

NFL needs to set a goal of trying to cut in half the number of times the refs interfere in the ongoing action of the game. Pro basketball is getting ridiculous too with refs reviewing every little thing during the last minute or two of each game, even by stopping action in middle of fast breaks and offensive plays being run. The last couple minutes of many games last 20+ minutes now. Lord help us if Umps in baseball ever want to start reviewing balls and strikes. Now if they used a laser machine or something like that to instantly call them, that is another thing.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don´t think the refs should be able to interfere with the pace of the game, especially when doing so is an advantage to one or the other team. That is part of the problem and the thing some fans dislike about the replay rule, which in general is fine to get an important call correct.

My point is that whan a team runs a fast offense or is simply picking up their pace when they have the other team on the ropes, tired, out of sync, or whatever, that isn't the time for a ref to stop the action. It is unfair to the team that is pressing the action, gives the D a rest and a chance to get organized, etc. Very unfair to one of the teams.

Even for a replay, if the clock is running and the offensive team is rushing the action, the refs shouldn't interfere in the flow of the game. They made the last call, live with it unless the clock isn't running, there is a break in the action, and/or neither team is given any advantage in doing so.

I think this is one major thing we all dislike and gives the refs too much authority to control and influence the play of the game. Many times when they stop the action, they are giving one or the other team a chance to see how the O or D is lining up, what is the call, etc. We need to scale back on the refs having that kind of control over the game and interference in what a team is trying to do or is about to do.

NFL needs to set a goal of trying to cut in half the number of times the refs interfere in the ongoing action of the game. Pro basketball is getting ridiculous too with refs reviewing every little thing during the last minute or two of each game, even by stopping action in middle of fast breaks and offensive plays being run. The last couple minutes of many games last 20+ minutes now. Lord help us if Umps in baseball ever want to start reviewing balls and strikes. Now if they used a laser machine or something like that to instantly call them, that is another thing.
I think you are really over analyzing this.
The refs can’t win. No matter what call they make half the people are pissed.
I’ve heard, “ Let them play!” Sure, until they don’t make a call “ letting them play” goes against your team.

Too many stops, but allow more challenges, let em’ play but not too much. Get the call right, but don’t take too much time.

One thing is for sure. Refs are going to make mistakes. Less today than perhaps ever in the history of the NFL. Eight different cameras and angles, super slo-motion replays and yet many times we think they STILL got it wrong because of bias.

Let’s just leave the game as is before some clown comes up with some other ******** ideas.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose