Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what they are copying. Debating over the appropriateness of language when it's intentional. I don't know.

It's going to be either funny like in Vox Machina or absolute cringe.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is what they are copying. Debating over the appropriateness of language when it's intentional. I don't know.

It's going to be either funny like in Vox Machina or absolute cringe.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Perhaps in story, but the language issue discussed has been around a long time, much longer than Vox Machina has been around. And it works for an over-the-top cartoon.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is sort of like debating the science in science fiction, the pseudoscience of time travel, the believability actions sequences etc. If it isn't historical, I simply don't see what a big deal it is. I guess if they went completely over the top with it? It could ruin the film otherwise it simply doesn't matter in a movie like this IMO.

P.S. Back on topic.....I think this movie looks funny.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
2nd trailer dropped.

Okaayy!!! I am STOKED!!

This is going to be the best movie of the year. Casting is fantastic.

Never seen a production so true to the source material. The accuracy is incredible.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is sort of like debating the science in science fiction, the pseudoscience of time travel, the believability actions sequences etc. If it isn't historical, I simply don't see what a big deal it is. I guess if they went completely over the top with it? It could ruin the film otherwise it simply doesn't matter in a movie like this IMO.

P.S. Back on topic.....I think this movie looks funny.
One of the fallacies of writing is that, since it's fictional/fantastical, it doesn't have to make sense. It absolutely does, although it doesn't have to make sense as it relates to our current world. As long as it's internally consistent, you gain a lot of suspension of disbelief. I've critiqued too many stories with basic, avoidable errors that argumentative writers brush off with, "Duh, it's a world with dragons, it's not real, so I don't have to worry about that." El wrongo.

This isn't a post arguing with you. I just read your post and it got me thinking :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And I don’t think it’s a big deal that I’d rather hear dialogue in a fantasy story that sounds like LOTR or The Witcher and not Dude Where’s my Car.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the fallacies of writing is that, since it's fictional/fantastical, it doesn't have to make sense. It absolutely does, although it doesn't have to make sense as it relates to our current world. As long as it's internally consistent, you gain a lot of suspension of disbelief. I've critiqued too many stories with basic, avoidable errors that argumentative writers brush off with, "Duh, it's a world with dragons, it's not real, so I don't have to worry about that." El wrongo.

This isn't a post arguing with you. I just read your post and it got me thinking :)
I think we are sort of saying the same thing. A story still has to have structure and fit "logically" within the context of the story. Not so sure it has to make sense. Lots of movies are whacky and make no sense at times but can still be good because it fits within the context of the story. Shows around time travel often make up pseudoscience that doesn't make any sense at all. People overlook that because it's entertaining.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are you making this such a big deal? You don't know that "OK" wasn't an actual word in the Middle Ages? I know how intelligent you are, so I know you know that it wasn't.

All I said is that I wish those kinds of movies didn't use modern vernacular - but you have expanded that to be even bigger and somehow that makes me... I don't know what. I'm not sure why. Probably shouldn't have said anything. Feel like I'm being policed. And of course I'm the aggressor. Ok.

nah... you were aggressive to start and then Jon decided to join you in the dickery over... Dungeons And Dragons.

i think you both morons. :devil:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm not saying they have to speak in Old English, I'm saying STOP using modern vernacular. That's it.

Look at the Lord of the Rings -- that language was perfect for that kind of movie. It's understandable and doesn't sound like it's written by someone who grew up on MTV.
Good example because one of the things that bugged me about RoP was the use of "ok" and modern vernacular.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
If you nitpick the etymology of every word in every period movie, you will find that an uncomfortably large number of what we currently speak didn't exist until the 19th Century.

Also, if you're going to nitpick as such, Mark Twain was a major offender, since the Connecticut Yankee would have read/heard this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Instead of this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
And I don’t think it’s a big deal that I’d rather hear dialogue in a fantasy story that sounds like LOTR or The Witcher and not Dude Where’s my Car.
Chap..... This is D&D
Have you ever played a campaign?

D&D does not take place on earth...unless a game is specifically created to be on earth, but none of the published campaigns are. Most of the D&D worlds have 15=20,000 years of recorded history..history, 20000 years ago that civilization was around to record.
equating D&D to medieval earth is ridiculous. There are no similarities other than...well, castles.
Technology advances differently. But in many D&D worlds, you will see guns...strangely, mostly musketts and flintlocks..
why strangely?
because D&D has robots. The Warforged are created with wood and metal while the Aormaton are all metal. These are not AI, but a total fusion of soul and technology.
so, you may actually go to the pub and see an elven mage, a dwarf with a rifle, and something akin to C3PO all enjoying a drink together.

I been playing D&D since 1976...we the haggard few who battled through and survived the satanic panic, we gathered in 5th wheels, basements, and garages to avoid being judged by the righteous.
we gathered with albums from Zappa, Jimi, and Pink Floyd. We gathered with large bags of weed.
The language of D&D? It is our language. Imagine a stoned nerd hiding in a basement in 1983, who in turn is imagining himself an elven warrior with a magic sword who just walked into a cave and came face to face with a dragon... what would that stoned nerd acting like a magic hero say? I guarantee you it has very little to do with thees and thous and prithys..but "Oh, **** my life"or " aint that a bitch" would be appropriate.
Lots of people simply wont understand the source material and thats okay.
for you hollywood types it is probably more appropriate to focus in cinematography, score, things like that. Hollywoods imaginative chops have been dead for a long time. Thats why for the past two decades all the best stuff has been from comic books and video games.

I mean hell.. chris pine, michelle rodriguez... in a movie that has dragons, zombies, magic, and treasure chests that will eat you.
if you cant get into that for a little fun?? I dunno... Godfather for the 300th time?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap..... This is D&D
Have you ever played a campaign?

D&D does not take place on earth...unless a game is specifically created to be on earth, but none of the published campaigns are. Most of the D&D worlds have 15=20,000 years of recorded history..history, 20000 years ago that civilization was around to record.
equating D&D to medieval earth is ridiculous. There are no similarities other than...well, castles.
Technology advances differently. But in many D&D worlds, you will see guns...strangely, mostly musketts and flintlocks..
why strangely?
because D&D has robots. The Warforged are created with wood and metal while the Aormaton are all metal. These are not AI, but a total fusion of soul and technology.
so, you may actually go to the pub and see an elven mage, a dwarf with a rifle, and something akin to C3PO all enjoying a drink together.

I been playing D&D since 1976...we the haggard few who battled through and survived the satanic panic, we gathered in 5th wheels, basements, and garages to avoid being judged by the righteous.
we gathered with albums from Zappa, Jimi, and Pink Floyd. We gathered with large bags of weed.
The language of D&D? It is our language. Imagine a stoned nerd hiding in a basement in 1983, who in turn is imagining himself an elven warrior with a magic sword who just walked into a cave and came face to face with a dragon... what would that stoned nerd acting like a magic hero say? I guarantee you it has very little to do with thees and thous and prithys..but "Oh, **** my life"or " aint that a bitch" would be appropriate.
Lots of people simply wont understand the source material and thats okay.
for you hollywood types it is probably more appropriate to focus in cinematography, score, things like that. Hollywoods imaginative chops have been dead for a long time. Thats why for the past two decades all the best stuff has been from comic books and video games.

I mean hell.. chris pine, michelle rodriguez... in a movie that has dragons, zombies, magic, and treasure chests that will eat you.
if you cant get into that for a little fun?? I dunno... Godfather for the 300th time?
Why in the world am I being attacked for just saying something about the language??

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Why in the world am I being attacked for just saying something about the language??
My apologies if it felt like an attack.
It was an explanation.
A big part of the hype for this movie is because they are doing it right based on whats been seen so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose