Get ready to trade down… more than once.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's only smart if you hit on the picks.
Let's not act like there could be a major choice that the GM would need to make between Carter/Anderson if QBs go #1 #2. It would be the our luck to pick the wrong one...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Calvin Pace ended up being a good player. The problem was drafting skillet hands with the other pick. Plus that trade down was at #10 overall. The perfect spot to trade down when you need higher quality players.
Not for us, because he clearly wasn't right for our system. A terrible draft pick for the Cards.

Stout

Reaction score
The Cardinals 2003 draft was actually fairly productive.

Pace, Boldin, Hayes, Reggie Wells all became good to great (Boldin) players. Even Tony Gilbert who was poached off the practice squad stuck around for awhile.
Sure, we missed out on a HoF pass rusher in trading for a player who sucked for us because he didn't play the right position (Pace), skillet hands, and almost traded away the opportunity to draft Boldin (remember, that trade also came with us trading BACK in the 2nd round), as well as us giving up a 4th rounder. Let's hold that up as success lol

As for the rest, we did well on the back end. Despite the epic screw up trade, we still got Boldin in the 2nd. I was stoked to get Hayes at the time and he was solid. Reggie Wells was solid, and a PA small college product as well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sure, we missed out on a HoF pass rusher in trading for a player who sucked for us because he didn't play the right position (Pace), skillet hands, and almost traded away the opportunity to draft Boldin (remember, that trade also came with us trading BACK in the 2nd round), as well as us giving up a 4th rounder. Let's hold that up as success lol

As for the rest, we did well on the back end. Despite the epic screw up trade, we still got Boldin in the 2nd. I was stoked to get Hayes at the time and he was solid. Reggie Wells was solid, and a PA small college product as well.
Pace was good his last season with the Cardinals.

Walking away with FOUR good players that play regularly in any draft is good. They screwed up the trade though...imagine if they had just taken the same players, plus Suggs AND the fourth rounder, that draft would have been amazing.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

how did we "almost trade away the chance to draft Boldin"?

the guy making the pick before us, did he slip on his way to the podium, and the card with Boldins name on it slid under a desk??and he couldnt get it out before his time was up??
I honestly dont remember all that draft day drama.
truth is, we probably could have picked five slots later and still got Anquan Boldin.
The first round ******** was plenty of reason to hate on the front office. There is no need to make up imaginary drama just to spew hate on the team.
even if your made up drama were true, we still got Q, and the draft overall was still a decent draft..... still woulda rather had suggs

Stout

Reaction score
how did we "almost trade away the chance to draft Boldin"?

the guy making the pick before us, did he slip on his way to the podium, and the card with Boldins name on it slid under a desk??and he couldnt get it out before his time was up??
I honestly dont remember all that draft day drama.
truth is, we probably could have picked five slots later and still got Anquan Boldin.
The first round ******** was plenty of reason to hate on the front office. There is no need to make up imaginary drama just to spew hate on the team.
even if your made up drama were true, we still got Q, and the draft overall was still a decent draft..... still woulda rather had suggs
We had to trade back in the second round as part of our trade down. We drafted Boldin in the 2nd. Utterly ridiculous. But wait, there was more--we also had to throw in a 4th! lol

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not for us, because he clearly wasn't right for our system. A terrible draft pick for the Cards.
IIRC, he started to shine right as he left, a la Reddick.

Stout

Reaction score
Pace was good his last season with the Cardinals.

Walking away with FOUR good players that play regularly in any draft is good. They screwed up the trade though...imagine if they had just taken the same players, plus Suggs AND the fourth rounder, that draft would have been amazing.
Absolutely.

egomaniac247

Veteran
Reaction score
I disagree completely that the “underbelily” needs overhaul…as in rebuild. This is a team that just two seasons ago was considered one of the top five teams until Kyler got hurt and then the wheels came completely off.

Theres ample talent on the team….we need a staff that can maximize the players talent and the game plans.

Yes, they need to figure out if Murray is salvageable…and yes there are positions we need to shore up…but I don’t feel like this is a “blow it up and start over” situation.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I disagree completely that the “underbelily” needs overhaul…as in rebuild. This is a team that just two seasons ago was considered one of the top five teams until Kyler got hurt and then the wheels came completely off.

Theres ample talent on the team….we need a staff that can maximize the players talent and the game plans.

Yes, they need to figure out if Murray is salvageable…and yes there are positions we need to shore up…but I don’t feel like this is a “blow it up and start over” situation.
Two seasons ago is a lifetime in the NFL. You need to look at who the team has signed right now for next year. It's a whole 29 players and that includes some end of the bench guys. Name a position other than Safety that's not a question mark right now.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Two seasons ago is a lifetime in the NFL. You need to look at who the team has signed right now for next year. It's a whole 29 players and that includes some end of the bench guys. Name a position other than Safety that's not a question mark right now.

Exactly.

We have one (one!) starting oline position settled next year.

What if Dhop leaves? Our WR room becomes Staring Hollywood Brown and Greg Dortch! (yeah, I see you standing there Rondale)

JJ retiring leaves a gapping hole on the D Line. It's a coin flip if Allen comes back, and if he leaves, we can officially push the panic button on defense.

More reps at LB for Ben Niemann and Tanner Vallejo? Everybody good with that? And Gardek the Pedestrian?

If Murphy stays we might be okay at CB, but there's precious little depth behind The Answer, Marco, and a game, but physically overmatched Hamilton.

RB room is below average not because Conner doesn't produce when he carries, but because he can't handle even an average workload. 28th in carries and 31st in yards among RBs! Not good enough! Plus he's not even close to a HR threat. Longest run this year was 23! But it's not so much that I lament he's a starter, it's the fact that we moved him out of what last year was the most perfect back up role in RB history! OMG how did we manage to mess that up?!

We must have a massive infusion of talent! In the name of all that is good and decent, trade back!

Last edited:
OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don’t think trading down a couple of times is “ blowing it up”. We also need to stop comparing what past regimes have done.
We have to let this new regime do their thing. When you talk about out talent, take a good look at the 49ers. On offense they have 3 great receiver and two great running backs not to mention their o-line. We can’t come close to that.
We can’t just go out a sign a bunch of quality free agents. We have to do it in the drsft and no one player is suddenly going to make this team a playoff team.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly.

We have one (one!) starting oline position settled next year.

What if Dhop leaves? Our WR room becomes Staring Hollywood Brown and Greg Dortch! (yeah, I see you standing there Rondale)

JJ retiring leaves a gapping hole on the D Line. It's a coin flip if Allen comes back, and if he leaves, we can officially push the panic button on defense.

More reps at LB for Ben Niemann and Tanner Vallejo? Everybody good with that? And Gardek the Pedestrian?

If Murphy stays we might be okay at CB, but there's precious little depth behind The Answer, Marco, and a game, but physically overmatched Hamilton.

RB room is below average not because Conner doesn't produce when he carries, but because he can't handle even an average workload. 28th in carries and 31st in yards among RBs! Not good enough! Plus he's not even close to a HR threat. Longest run this year was 23! But it's not so much that I lament he's a starter, it's the fact that we moved him out of what last year was the most perfect back up role in RB history! OMG how did we manage to mess that up?!

We must have a massive infusion of talent! In the name of all that is good and decent, trade back!
Great post!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
if monti plans on moving back, then step 1 is obvious.
call his old buddy McD and fleece the **** out of the Raiders for 7... then maybe call his Titans buddies about 11

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Two things:
1. Reddick was a great pick. We didn't play him as an Edge.
2. Was MO always in the NE and TN Draft Room on Draft Day?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Keep trading further down in R1.

1. Trade #3 to QB starved team for mid-R1, R2, and 2024 R1 minimum.
2. Trade mid-R1 for later R1 + 2024 R1
3. Trade later R1 for R2 or high R3 + 2024 R1

So for relinquishing pick 3 we get 2 more R2s to go with the 1 we already have (#34) in this draft, and we get 3 extra R1 picks on top of the 1 we already have for 2024 draft.

Stout

Reaction score

If having no quality starters at IDL or IOL on the team, then sure, the belly of the team is in great shape lol

Stout

Reaction score
Two things:
1. Reddick was a great pick. We didn't play him as an Edge.
2. Was MO always in the NE and TN Draft Room on Draft Day?
Yeah, we all knew he was a terrible pick because we were moving him inside. I wonder how the board would've felt if he were being drafted to play his actual position?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
First , I worked in the meat industry for 43 years so I like Monti and his dad already, lol!

This board is going to blow up on draft day. Think of where MO came from. Think of watching the draft and hearing, “ The Patriots have traded their pick for …”. And then hearing it again.
If the value is there and MO and his staff can find the right players I would not be surprise if we trade our pick a couple of times to acquire 4 or 5 additional picks in this draft in round 2 and 3.

We will all cry, “Oh we could have should have drafted this guy or that guy”.
Truth is this teams underbelly need an overhaul. “ Build a sustainable roster”. Can anybody argue that?

What I came away from the MO press conference is be ready to operate in a manner we just ain’t use to.
You would be correct if we had a legit pass rusher on defense, but we do not. This is no different than a team not having a QB on offense, which means you have to select early usually to get one, then building around that young QB. No Chanlder Jones, no JJ Watt, no luxury to give up a shot at someone like Anderson in my opinion
Now, I could be wrong, because the number three slot could contain a bevy of picks which still could contain a legit pass rusher if our scouting staff under Monti has spotted one, though maybe not with the potential of Anderson. All I know is this, the most dynamic pass rushers and best QB prospects are selected really early, and currently we are in the catbird seat to get such a pass rusher to establish a working defense where a offense has to plan around someone not just named Budda Baker far from the line of scrimmage. Our current young pass rushers are dependent to succeeding around that exceptional building block

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If I recall from the press conference video, Monti was asked about the draft and his answer was we may make a selection at #3 however we will also entertain offers and may move back. I suspect, the offers presented will determine if the team moves back in the draft. I also think it would be wrong of our new GM not to see what he can get for the third pick if he is doing due diligence in his job.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Calvin Pace ended up being a good player. The problem was drafting skillet hands with the other pick. Plus that trade down was at #10 overall. The perfect spot to trade down when you need higher quality players.
But he wasn’t a good enough player to counterbalance skillet being a bust when compared to just drafting Suggs. We gave up the homerun for a double and a strikeout.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If I recall from the press conference video, Monti was asked about the draft and his answer was we may make a selection at #3 however we will also entertain offers and may move back. I suspect, the offers presented will determine if the team moves back in the draft. I also think it would be wrong of our new GM not to see what he can get for the third pick if he is doing due diligence in his job.
:)
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose