I Have a Theory

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I know I post a bunch of theories. As I was looking at possible Cards’ targets throughout the draft, I continued to be astonished at how good this prospect pool is. Wow!!! This is one of the best pools I’ve ever seen. How did that come about? I have a couple of theories. I believe the most likely impact factor is the transfer portal. We’ve already seen more players break out, but this year the number is unreal. If you consider the pre-portal days, players were often trapped and sat behind other players or forced to switch from their preferred position. Sometimes 2 good players had split a position, so neither could excel. They could also be trapped when an HC, OC or DC who played that player’s preferred system left and forced them to play in a system in which they didn’t fit. As these players have been exposed, they blossomed. Now they are showcased and their full capabilities revealed.

I also think the more wide open offenses being employed favor the best players. Great athletes tend to excel more often in that environment. Their true athleticism is tested.

So yes I’m excited. If the Cards can assemble a staff the brings outstanding personnel knowledge, this draft is capable of changing a team’s fortune for years to come. Of course developing the acquired talent is crucial. Then all the other factors including elements like game plans, play design, game management and discipline come into play to mention just a few concerns. However, it all starts with people and this draft is filled with great people.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. This is why I wouldn't mind a trade down scenario. I know a lot of people are still burned by the Pace situation, but this is the year that if it is done right can really propel the franchise.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree Harry. I would be glad to trade down twice. We need to fill this roster with as many younger, faster and cheaper players.
One player like Anderson MIGHT turn out to be great but it would be a small piece of a big picture.
Trading down twice would probably recoup 4 extra picks.
Harry, you said this draft is loaded. Wouldn’t we be better off with the ( random #’s) 18,24,33,35,48 and 56?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree Harry. I would be glad to trade down twice. We need to fill this roster with as many younger, faster and cheaper players.
One player like Anderson MIGHT turn out to be great but it would be a small piece of a big picture.
Harry, you said this draft is loaded. Wouldn’t we be better off with the ( random #’s) 18,24,33,35,48 and 56?
I'd prefer Anderson more if we played a 3-4 since he is likely going to be at 250lbs, but he probably can bulk up. Small nitpick.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd prefer Anderson more if we played a 3-4 since he is likely going to be at 250lbs, but he probably can bulk up. Small nitpick.
Yes but this teams needs an infusion or maybe the better word is transfusion. Our o-line is ancient. Our running back Corp is pedestrian. Our d-line is meh.
Look, we had Watts. He played great but what did it translate into…13 losses?
We draft Anderson and even he gets ROY with 12 sacks, this defense is going to suck as it stands.
Trading down could get us a center, o-lineman, a rb, and two d-linemen. We are going to struggle this year even with Payton.
Accumulate more talent, groom them this season and build on top of that next year. This is totally opposite with the way Keim operated.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but this teams an infusion or maybe the better word is transfusion. Our o-line is ancient. Our running back Corp is pedestrian. Our d-line is meh.
We draft Anderson and even he gets ROY with 12 sacks, this defense is going to suck as it stands.
Trading down could get us a center, o-lineman, a rb, and two d-linemen. We are going to struggle this year even with Payton.
Accumulate more talent, groom them this season and build on top of that next year. This is totally opposite with the way Keim operated.
Yes, but that isn't the right logic to have.

We had a great player, but still had 13 losses. Does that mean we shouldn't get a great player?

In most drafts, there are 1-3 players rated a 10/10. It is rare that your team is bad enough to be in a position to draft one of those players. This draft, outside of QB, there are 2 of these players. Anderson and Carter. After those two, there are a bunch of players 8/10. Is it better to grab two 8s and maybe a 6 in a trade down scenario, or to have that 10/10 player? I'd rather the 10/10, but we do have a ton of holes so I can understand the trade down logic.

The analogy isn't great, (completely accurate) but I hope it illustrates my point.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree. This is why I wouldn't mind a trade down scenario. I know a lot of people are still burned by the Pace situation, but this is the year that if it is done right can really propel the franchse.

Hey... the thought they were doing right back then. And Pace had a good career after he left AZ.

If the Cards A-1 or A-2 choice is on board, I say take him or risk repeating your example.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

With a Dhop trade, we'd have 6 selections in the top 105 and quite possibly a stud with the first pick.

Plenty of ammunition if properly used.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With a Dhop trade, we'd have 6 selections in the top 105 and quite possibly a stud with the first pick.

Plenty of ammunition if properly used.

How about we trade Dhop to the Bears and whatever draft capital for #1 (except our 3) to swing Carter AND Anderson.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about we trade Dhop to the Bears and whatever draft capital for #1 (except our 3) to swing Carter AND Anderson.
We'd have to give up the rest of our draft this year to get both, likely a 1st 2nd next year, AND D-Hop. It wouldn't be worth it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
How funny would it be if we traded down because some think “quantity > quality” & the players we drafted ended up mediocre while Will Anderson became a perennial all-pro?
It's not like the Cardinals didn't do this years ago and miss out on Terrell Suggs to draft two ok players.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not like the Cardinals didn't do this years ago and miss out on Terrell Suggs to draft two ok players.
It's the players you draft, not the choice you make.

Plus, there is a HUGE difference trading down from 10 overall than number 3. Even the people that don't want a trade down will acknowledge that.

And this is coming from someone who wants us to draft Anderson or Carter. Perspective people.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you take into consideration the teams wanting to draft a QB, trading down is certainly a possibility. The Bears ain't taking one so they may trade down if an offer is right? The Texans are gonna take a QB so that leaves us depending on how far down we're willing to drop?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I know I post a bunch of theories. As I was looking at possible Cards’ targets throughout the draft, I continued to be astonished at how good this prospect pool is. Wow!!! This is one of the best pools I’ve ever seen. How did that come about? I have a couple of theories. I believe the most likely impact factor is the transfer portal. We’ve already seen more players break out, but this year the number is unreal. If you consider the pre-portal days, players were often trapped and sat behind other players or forced to switch from their preferred position. Sometimes 2 good players had split a position, so neither could excel. They could also be trapped when an HC, OC or DC who played that player’s preferred system left and forced them to play in a system in which they didn’t fit. As these players have been exposed, they blossomed. Now they are showcased and their full capabilities revealed.

I also think the more wide open offenses being employed favor the best players. Great athletes tend to excel more often in that environment. Their true athleticism is tested.

So yes I’m excited. If the Cards can assemble a staff the brings outstanding personnel knowledge, this draft is capable of changing a team’s fortune for years to come. Of course developing the acquired talent is crucial. Then all the other factors including elements like game plans, play design, game management and discipline come into play to mention just a few concerns. However, it all starts with people and this draft is filled with great people.
I don't know if this draft really is as loaded as it might appear because the quality of play has sunk under a sea mediocrity in the NFL, and it starts at the college level because this is where the NFL gets their players. I am seeing more and more great athletes who do not know the nuances of the sport fully because they are put in systems where they are not exposed fully as a pro and can just get by on athletic ability

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To me it seems like we are always reloading instead of just a full rebuild. I didn’t mind this cause we are horrible at drafting. With a new GM coming on board I have hope we may do decent in the draft and wouldn’t mind selling off our players for as much draft picks as possible and start from the ground up. I don’t mind playing rookies for a couple of years with cheap vets just to get experience. Trade down to acquire more picks.

We just need to hit on the draft like in 2004.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like, I just don’t get it man.

Unless Chicago doesn’t trade with Indy, we will have an elite player at the most important position in football outside of QB. It would be BPA & NEED. Like Bosa did SF, Anderson would UPLIFT our defense. Imagine how much higher the ceiling will go once we start adding competent players.

You take the one elite EDGE over maybe two decent players. Every. Single. Time. Quality >>>>>>>>>>>> Quantity.

Plus, like you said with Suggs, we already went though this once. Why attempt fate with it AGAIN?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes but this teams needs an infusion or maybe the better word is transfusion. Our o-line is ancient. Our running back Corp is pedestrian. Our d-line is meh.

Total: 6

Number of picks we have in the first 105 with the trade of Dhop: 6

You don't give up quality for quantity!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Total: 6

Number of picks we have in the first 105 with the trade of Dhop: 6

You don't give up quality for quantity!
I get that. But if you can fleece a Qb hungry team for two #1’s and a 3 you really have to think about. One player is not going to make this team “ good”. And if that one player bombs our gets injured, what have you got? If we had a ton of cap space and consider free agents that would be great.
we are worried about our own free agents who are perhaps solid but not all pros. The way this teams roster looks at the moment we need players. Accumulate as many “ good “ players this year.
It appears we will perhaps struggle this year. If that is the case we will be drafting early next year too. If we accumulate some talent and are better than we hoped, then we will have started a foundation to build on.

BTW, until Hopkins is traded I can’t count on that. If Payton comes here I’m betting Hopkins is on this team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose