someone explain 2 way rule please?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've been saying it for awhile but Anthony Lamb can only play in I think 17 more games after tonight and he hits 50 as a 2 way player. They have a roster spot so they CAN sign him. If say Iggy retired, do they now have 2 roster spots or does he count on the roster even if he retires because he has a guaranteed contract? Because it's obvious they're saving that roster spot maybe for a trade or something.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
If you’re on a two way contract you can only play in 50 games and are not eligible to play in the playoffs. The contract can be converted to a standard contract at any point as long as there is a roster spot available. Each team is allotted 2 two way players that don’t count as roster spots.

If a player retires (or if the team just doesn’t want him) he can be waived and it will open up a roster spot. Last year the Suns waived Frank Kaminsky so that they could convert Wainright’s contract so that he would be eligible for the playoffs.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the question is if Iggy would count towards the Warriors 15 man roster if he retired.

If the Warriors waived him, I don't think he would count.

JerkFace

Reaction score
I think the question is if Iggy would count towards the Warriors 15 man roster if he retired.

If he retires they can waive him and open a roster spot.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was both can they free up another spot if he retires, yes apparently, and with the current roster spot can they just sign Lamb, yes.

My guess is they're saving the roster spot for some sort of deal. A few years ago it was Bogut coming back from Australia, that's not happening now so I really wonder what their plan is

JerkFace

Reaction score
It was both can they free up another spot if he retires, yes apparently, and with the current roster spot can they just sign Lamb, yes.

My guess is they're saving the roster spot for some sort of deal. A few years ago it was Bogut coming back from Australia, that's not happening now so I really wonder what their plan is

There is no real reason to convert a two way until either the 50 games are up or the playoffs are about to start. So even if they 100% plan to convert Lamb’s contract, they will keep the flexibility and wait until the last moment.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So this is going to become an issue with Washington also.

Who would we cut to make room for him? Another good reason to trade Dario before the deadline I suppose.

JerkFace

Reaction score

Who would we cut to make room for him? Another good reason to trade Dario before the deadline I suppose.

I believe we currently have an open roster spot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Washington would likely take our last spot. The question would be about Ish.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no real reason to convert a two way until either the 50 games are up or the playoffs are about to start. So even if they 100% plan to convert Lamb’s contract, they will keep the flexibility and wait until the last moment.

THat makes sense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washington Jr. is a keeper. The Suns need to hang onto him, whether it's on the 15-man roster or a two-way roster spot.

There are other players I would rather part with if push came to shove.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I believe we currently have an open roster spot.
We are waiting to use it in a trade. JJ has repeatedly said this in interviews I've heard. He thinks we will take back more assets in a trade of players(s) than we deal out. So he's holding that spot open for the deadline.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washington Jr. is a keeper. The Suns need to hang onto him, whether it's on the 15-man roster or a two-way roster spot.

There are other players I would rather part with if push came to shove.

I'm happy for him I remember when UCLA was recruiting him after he moved to LA and was playing for Sierra Canyon. He picked TOSU so I sort of forgot about him until the NBA.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose