Cardinals at Falcons gameday thread 1-1-2023

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was sitting there going "if Kyler had this kind of time all season we'd be undefeated."

It was awful. So happy we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
It was a truly painful watch. I really don’t enjoy watching games I know it’s better for us to lose but it’s truly excruciating watching one of those, with this kind of team where the main guys on the field aren’t even gonna have major carry over AND the other team is atrocious AND it comes down to the wire.

Just a completely nothing gained type of game that they held us in suspense for for every damn second of the godforsaken clock.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It was a truly painful watch. I really don’t enjoy watching games I know it’s better for us to lose but it’s truly excruciating watching one of those, with this kind of team where the main guys on the field aren’t even gonna have major carry over AND the other team is atrocious AND it comes down to the wire.

Just a completely nothing gained type of game that they held us in suspense for for every damn second of the godforsaken clock.
Even better point. Besides Trey McBride, Hollywood, and like... Greg Dortch, I felt like there was barely anyone I expected to see next season.

I remember seeing Simmons angry on the sideline for a minute, and maybe Collins, but still.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I still want them to win .
One of the best games I ever went to was Joshy taking the Vikes out in 2004 . Was an Incredible atmosphere after the game. It cost us Eli but ended up with Fitz. I wouldn't trade those moments for 5 Eli Mannings. I was hoping to pull this one out for the youngsters on the team. Good game for what it was
Manning was drafted by the Chargers but didn't want to play there, he was traded to the Giants. No way he would have played for the Cards.

I liked Josh, he always played his heart out. Glad to see he had a long career.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Manning was drafted by the Chargers but didn't want to play there, he was traded to the Giants. No way he would have played for the Cards.

I liked Josh, he always played his heart out. Glad to see he had a long career.
Slight counter-point: the Cardinals already had the agreement to build the new stadium and generate new income. We had Boldin as an appealing WR option.

While the Chargers had Ladainan Tomlinson, their stadium was old, and Manning would have had to compete with Brees, which was complex. I don't want to be too much of a homer here, but at the same time, we could have been worse off than losing him and trading back to take either Fitz or Rivers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t cheer for a loss. Losing for draft picks creates a losing culture. Us moving up in next years draft by losing won’t do anything to help unless the guy making the pick makes the correct pick. There’s plenty of examples of players taken in the top 5 that don’t pan out, but players of the same position going on to be HOF’ers. Doesn’t matter where you take them. It matters who you take.
I’ve always marveled at the ignorance of this argument. Yes it matters who you take. It also matters that who you want to take is available. The earlier you pick the more players are available the greater your chance of being able to pick the best player if you’re capable of identifying him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Picking later is how we ended up with David Johnson instead of ameer Abdullah. In theory you’re absolutely right, but in actuality it doesn’t always work like that.
That’s dumb luck not skill. If you want to rely on dumb luck to build a winner, I don’t know what to say to you.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always marveled at the ignorance of this argument. Yes it matters who you take. It also matters that who you want to take is available. The earlier you pick the more players are available the greater your chance of being able to pick the best player if you’re capable of identifying him.
Golly, we should never win any games. Think of the powerhouse team we could build with all of those top picks. :rolleyes:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not only does tanking improves your chances at potentially getting a blue-chipper(or trading back to get more picks), it also improves the chances of Kliff & the entire coaching staff getting fired.

For the people that have vented their frustration about Kliff & the coaching staff, you guys want Kliff fired….right?

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve been a Cardinals fan for more than 60 years. There have been more downs than ups. And to be honest, I was afraid Kingsbury — who likely won’t be with the team next year — would win that game and screw the organization out of a top 3 pick. A win likely would have moved Cardinals to around 8th in draft order. We’ve been there. A lot. Of course, the GM still could screw up a Top 3 pick, so you never know with this organization. Football is a sport where you can go from bottom to top in a season or two, if you have the right foundation, good vision and excellent coaching. Not sure we’ll get those in my lifetime.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
mentally i knew the team had to lose ...... and yet on every defensive third down I found myself wanting a defensive stop

that said: once you are eliminated from the playoffs.... wins/losses are just window dressing

think of it this way: if the Cards had won 2 of these final five games, they would be looking at drafting at #9 right now.

the cost on draft day of moving from 9 to 4 is at least their 2nd rounder and probably more

are two meaningless wins worth the ~40th pick overall?

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’s dumb luck not skill. If you want to rely on dumb luck to build a winner, I don’t know what to say to you.
Dumb luck built a dynasty in New England. We’re not a top 3 pick away from being Super Bowl contenders. If we win a game or 2 when it’s meaningless we drop a whole 2-3 spots. We’re not talking about falling out of the top 10. This draft has 3 QBs taken in the top 10 picks. If we identify a guy we like, he’ll most likely be there at 3, 4, or 5.

How many titles have teams won by tanking? Some of the best players in the nfl today weren’t the first one taken off the board at their position.
QB- Mahomes
RB- Derrick Henry
WR- Justin Jefferson
TE- Travis Kelce
DT- Chris Jones
OLB- T.J. Watt
ILB- Fred Warner
S- Budda

Just to name a few.

Tanking creates a losing culture for the players that stay with the team and nets us a player that we probably could still get at 5.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I still want them to win .
One of the best games I ever went to was Joshy taking the Vikes out in 2004 . Was an Incredible atmosphere after the game. It cost us Eli but ended up with Fitz. I wouldn't trade those moments for 5 Eli Mannings. I was hoping to pull this one out for the youngsters on the team. Good game for what it was
Denny Green said he was taking Larry at #1 if we had lost, so I don’t think Manning or Rivers were going to be a Cardinal. @WisconsinCard and me were at the game and it’s a top 3 game for sure in my life.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No we just shouldn’t win meaningless games that destroy your ability to get better. Short term pain for long term gain. It’s not a tough concept Brian.
Just going to agree to disagree on this forever. As a fan, I will always root for my team to win EVERY game. Once the dust settles you see where you draft and move forward. Just not the type of person who roots for my team to lose regardless of a draft position benefit. It's not a tough concept, Joel. ;)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denny Green said he was taking Larry at #1 if we had lost, so I don’t think Manning or Rivers were going to be a Cardinal. @WisconsinCard and me were at the game and it’s a top 3 game for sure in my life.
So many people were whining about winning a meaningless game back then, too. It cost us nothing and we got to stick it to the Vikings. That was a great game with a large ASFN halftime gathering (the best and largest halftimes were at SDS). Such a great and memorable win.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tanking creates a losing culture for the players that stay with the team and nets us a player that we probably could still get at 5.
there is literally ZERO evidence to back this up. And the Cardinals consistently NOT tanking and almost always retaining a losing culture flies in the face of the strength of getting meaningless wins.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
there is literally ZERO evidence to back this up. And the Cardinals consistently NOT tanking and almost always retaining a losing culture flies in the face of the strength of getting meaningless wins.
Dolphins tanked for Tua...are now on 2nd HC and staff, since the pick...He could have been picked later (owner wanted him bad for some reason, over Herbert)...He can't stay on the field...They will probably now miss the playoffs again.

The Jets are seemingly always tanking for QB's and none have worked out. The latest may cost their newest coach his job, probably after next year.

Don't even get me started on teams like the Bears, who are in decades long QB futility...selecting top QBs in drafts who can't play, including Justin Fields (should be a running back).

Teams like the Colts (Manning and Luck) are outliers, IMO, where tanking works out.

There are just too many questions with FO and coaching staff for the Cardinals to even consider tanking and thinking it will work this year. My 2 cents...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose