Avatar: The Way of Water (aka Avatar 2)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet but I've seen multiple people online say that either high or on a hallucinogen would be the best way to watch it due to the visuals.

Overall I've been hearing mostly good things. Visuals and audio are always listed as great, usually gets too long by 45-60 min., and then the mixed results comes from opinions on the plot.
So, not a movie per se lol

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. What a steaming pile of trash. So disappointed but I was kind of expecting it. I found the first Avatar to have a pretty silly story at times but this one went way over the top.

Most disappointing about this sequel was the visuals for the most part felt very cartoonish. I remember watching the original in complete awe at how real all of the creatures looked. However with the sequel it wasn’t even close.

Did I just watch a 3.5 hour cartoon?

I rewatched the original this weekend and it was definitely still watchable. I don’t think I’ll watch this sequel again.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Wow. What a steaming pile of trash. So disappointed but I was kind of expecting it. I found the first Avatar to have a pretty silly story at times but this one went way over the top.

Most disappointing about this sequel was the visuals for the most part felt very cartoonish. I remember watching the original in complete awe at how real all of the creatures looked. However with the sequel it wasn’t even close.

I rewatched the original this weekend and it was definitely still watchable. I don’t think I’ll watch this sequel again.
I thought it was way better than the original - it feels long in the beginning but then I felt immersed in the world and enjoyed it quite a bit.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

This is surprising, considering Cameron delayed release several times because of massive upgrades in CGI that he wanted to integrate.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is surprising, considering Cameron delayed release several times because of massive upgrades in CGI that he wanted to integrate.
yeah there were scenes that were amazing like the last third of the movie which was quite action packed as well. You would have a hard time differentiating what is real and what is not in those scenes.

However for much of the first part of the movie it felt very cartoonish for me. Even the main characters looked more cartoonish to me than they did in the first movie. Maybe because it was like 95% CGI for most of the movie this time around.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was way better than the original - it feels long in the beginning but then I felt immersed in the world and enjoyed it quite a bit.
So I made sure to watch the original this weekend before going to see this one and feel the Original "Blows this one out of the water". Pun intended.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like you need to devote an entire day to seeing this with it being over 3 hours long.

The first 3rd of the movie was ridiculously long and should have been condensed to shorten the movie. This movie could have been easily shortened by like 30-45 minutes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The first 3rd of the movie was ridiculously long and should have been condensed to shorten the movie. This movie could have been easily shortened by like 30-45 minutes.
I'm just curious, what would you consider your favorite movie of all time? I only ask because your responses here are interesting - pretty much the exact opposite of everything I've read or heard from friends that have already seen it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, what would you consider your favorite movie of all time? I only ask because your responses here are interesting - pretty much the exact opposite of everything I've read or heard from friends that have already seen it.
My favorite movie is probably "Glory"

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just found the first hour of this movie very "Cringy" that brought back vibes of "The Phantom Menace". Again just my opinion and I'm not saying don't go see it.

My wife and I were not impressed but my 18 year old daughter really enjoyed it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just found the first hour of this movie very "Cringy" that brought back vibes of "The Phantom Menace". Again just my opinion and I'm not saying don't go see it.

My wife and I were not impressed but my 18 year old daughter really enjoyed it.
I'm seeing it tomorrow (I tend to see everything anyway). I liked the first one but didn't love it. I think a lot of Cameron's other stuff is better, but the technical acumen is absolutely breathtaking and better than anything else he's ever done.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This was definitely better than the first movie and it was hands down the best motion capture I've ever seen. The hair, water and eyes (usually the hardest thing to pull off organically) was just top notch.

I was supremely entertained and like all Cameron films, I felt immersed in the world. It wasn't a cartoon and you don't have to be freaking high to see it. That's just plain dumb.

If you need to get high to be entertained, then maybe you have other problems.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
This was definitely better than the first movie and it was hands down the best motion capture I've ever seen. The hair, water and eyes (usually the hardest thing to pull off organically) was just top notch.

I was supremely entertained and like all Cameron films, I felt immersed in the world. It wasn't a cartoon and you don't have to be freaking high to see it. That's just plain dumb.

If you need to get high to be entertained, then maybe you have other problems.

Pretty much a mirror of my opinion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Unbelievably, Cameron is probably staring at his 3rd movie landing in the worldwide top 10 grossing movies all-time. And 3rd straight no less!

But I doubt it cracks the top 3. My guess is it will tops out at 1.5 to 1.7 billion. Which will still be pretty ridiculous for a sequel 13 years after the original, which seemed to fade out of favor storywise within a year after it came out.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Unbelievably, Cameron is probably staring at his 3rd movie landing in the worldwide top 10 grossing movies all-time. And 3rd straight no less!

But I doubt it cracks the top 3. My guess is it will tops out at 1.5 to 1.7 billion. Which will still be pretty ridiculous for a sequel 13 years after the original, which seemed to fade out of favor storywise within a year after it came out.
I wonder what the long term legs will be like on this one too. It's a spectacle to see in the theaters, especially IMAX, so I wonder how that's going to translate to streaming and home video.

It's crazy though the number that's it's pulling in. I'm thinking you 1.5 to 1.7 might be a little low now and that it might end up right at about $2b. I'm saying that because of the in theater spectacle aspect of it and we're heading into "Frack you, it's January!" There's nothing coming out anytime soon. Kids are going to be seeing it multiple times in the theater to drive the number.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just wattched it and these are my thoughts.

On a scale of 1 to 10 the story is barely a 1. I don't know how you can make a movie that long have so many odd plot holes. I could do paragraphs on stuff that makes zero sense.

One a scaore of 1 to 10 the visuals are a 15. It's simply a gorgeous movie with the best motion capture I have ever seen.

Beyond that, 85% of the movie is about the kids and those kids are so annoying they make you appreciate your own kids.

I am happy to have paid for it in the theater. I have no idea if I will ever watch it again.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So I just wattched it and these are my thoughts.

On a scale of 1 to 10 the story is barely a 1. I don't know how you can make a movie that long have so many odd plot holes. I could do paragraphs on stuff that makes zero sense.

One a scaore of 1 to 10 the visuals are a 15. It's simply a gorgeous movie with the best motion capture I have ever seen.

Beyond that, 85% of the movie is about the kids and those kids are so annoying they make you appreciate your own kids.

I am happy to have paid for it in the theater. I have no idea if I will ever watch it again.

Bro, only a 1?

C'mon bro.