Grizzlies @ Suns Friday game thread 12-23-2022

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only question is can the Suns keep the deficit under 30 points.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A look at some final stats.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well dang at gf ton couldn't watch gm what Happened no energy or what?

Ughhh hope suns correct the issue

Book very much missed

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The crappy thing is that we have a couple of max players on the roster who did play tonight, and have been playing in these losses without booker. Let that settle in.

Then add to the fact that we are paying Crowder still.

Add to that we are paying for Bridges to be part of our big 4, and to crap the bed night in and night out.

Can’t really hate on the others as they’re simply role players and bench guys.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
A day or two before the game, Ja was quoted saying “there are no teams in the West that worry him.”
Well, his team dismantled one of the teams many thought he should be thinking about…

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn’t watch this but damn looks like it was over in the first 5 minutes.

Bridges has fallen off a cliff. 5 points on 2/7? He made 1 basket? 1!!!!

Just my observation Chris Paul has sucked the life out of this team. He just grinds it to a halt. Every once in awhile he can turn back the clock but for the most part he’s been bad and the numbers reflect it. This team has looked totally different since he came back

Paul has appeared in 6 “clutch” games and we are 1-5. Last year he shot 57% this year 33% in the clutch

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Chris Paul were still injured, and the "point guards" had to be Shamet and Duane Washington, the team wouldn't have played any worse. I have a suspicion (I mean, of course I can't know) that Paul doesn't care anymore.

No Payne, no gain.

I think the pace would pick up drastically. Payne needs to be the starter. It’s time for Paul to accept his Westbrook role

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've had the same sort of thought: if Payne were starting, then although the defense wouldn't be as good, the players could run.

Payne is much better defensively at this point than Paul

however our defense isn’t close to what it was last year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many heartless, pathetic blowout home losses to good team AND pathetic home losses to terrible teams.
I am sorry, say what you want about the McGee not exactly working for the Mavs or Crowder not being the same player. However, I went to a ton of games last year and something has to be said about heart and willing to do the dirty work on the court. I called this out and many people were not convinced. I see less heart on this team. I see less dirt work and toughness. Would the Suns still have struggles this season? Probably but I bet we have fewer losses against suspect teams.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry, say what you want about the McGee not exactly working for the Mavs or Crowder not being the same player. However, I went to a ton of games last year and something has to be said about heart and willing to do the dirty work on the court. I called this out and many people were not convinced. I see less heart on this team. I see less dirt work and toughness. Would the Suns still have struggles this season? Probably but I bet we have fewer losses against suspect teams.
We subtracted two attitude guys with Jae/McGee gone off the team. Now that’s not to say we should have necessarily brought McGee back at that contract, and who even knows what the real story with Jae is, but what we do know is we never replaced the attitude those guys brought to the team.

The only players that have it are Book, who’s in and out of the lineup and Paul who just isn’t good anymore. Neither Ayton/Bridges are consistent attitude guys. Neither is anyone else.

This is currently a team without enough superstars and now has no identity. That’s a bad combo.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t watch this but damn looks like it was over in the first 5 minutes.

Bridges has fallen off a cliff. 5 points on 2/7? He made 1 basket? 1!!!!

Just my observation Chris Paul has sucked the life out of this team. He just grinds it to a halt. Every once in awhile he can turn back the clock but for the most part he’s been bad and the numbers reflect it. This team has looked totally different since he came back

Paul has appeared in 6 “clutch” games and we are 1-5. Last year he shot 57% this year 33% in the clutch
I worry more about his defense, where did it go? There has to be something going on with him. And I don't believe it's lack of heart or lack of effort.

CP3 was finally showing some life in his game and then he went down with a shoulder injury again. I suspect he has no business playing right now but with so many others out, he's pushing through something he shouldn't be.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I worry more about his defense, where did it go? There has to be something going on with him. And I don't believe it's lack of heart or lack of effort.

CP3 was finally showing some life in his game and then he went down with a shoulder injury again. I suspect he has no business playing right now but with so many others out, he's pushing through something he shouldn't be.

Monty won’t tell Paul to sit or come off the bench. Paul has ran over him and the team knows it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then it's on coach for letting him play.

Sorry, whose defense were you referring to, Bridges or Paul? You honestly could have meant either.
Bridges. He was a top 2 or 3 defender last season, of late he's maybe average if that. CP3 himself hasn't been a stellar defender for a few years now. But he improves the defense because he slows the tempo, which brings scoring down. And he makes the right pass and almost never gives up a live ball turnover (which often lead to fast breaks the other way).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. That is why coach needs to go. I've no use for a pushover coach.
I'm not sure how I feel about Monty but I believe you're reading him wrong. The knock against him before coming here was that he was a very strong-minded coach and often failed to take feedback from his players. He's nowhere near being a pushover. The team trainers and medical staff decide if a player is cleared, after that it's common to let the player decide whether they can go or not.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I feel about Monty but I believe you're reading him wrong. The knock against him before coming here was that he was a very strong-minded coach and often failed to take feedback from his players. He's nowhere near being a pushover. The team trainers and medical staff decide if a player is cleared, after that it's common to let the player decide whether they can go or not.

You couldn’t be further off Monty is about as soft as it gets. He’s passive in pretty much everything.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Take a step back from the cliff, it's gonna be ok.
So we wont have the best record this year, we WILL be in the playoffs. To me its better to come from a lower position where people don't expect much from you.
This team has always been better when people doubt them. Fly in under the radar and disembowel them in the streets in front of their stupid Slovenian mothers.
We have the talent we just need it to all come into focus for the playoffs. Cam should be gtg by then. Our bench is getting valuable mins.

I'm not giving up yet, maybe the new owner will help somehow. He knows we are close and may know how to get us over the hump.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You couldn’t be further off Monty is about as soft as it gets. He’s passive in pretty much everything.
Go back and read up on him. His reputation is that of a player's coach but he's also been called stubborn, a "my way or the highway" kind of coach. He and CP clashed regularly in New Orleans although he did mellow a bit near the end of their NO relationship. He talks in platitudes and witty sayings but that isn't the sum of the man, why do you think he butts heads with so many players throughout his career?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Go back and read up on him. His reputation is that of a player's coach but he's also been called stubborn, a "my way or the highway" kind of coach. He and CP clashed regularly in New Orleans although he did mellow a bit near the end of their NO relationship. He talks in platitudes and witty sayings but that isn't the sum of the man, why do you think he butts heads with so many players throughout his career?

I don’t give a damn what he was I care about what he is now. He’s admitted he’s not the same coach. If you’re gonna sit here and tell me Monty is a hard ass we are watching two completely different coaches.

Suns get blown out my 50? Well..uh it doesn’t bother me

68-3 free throw advantage for the other team? Uh that’s just how it is some night.

Suns players pushed in the back? No we don’t retaliate we do things the right way.

Dude listen it’s blatantly obvious this team has tuned him out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose