2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pick ended up being Day'Ron Sharpe. Landry, even if he doesn't live up to our standards, is a WAY better player.

It would have been better to miss on the 29th pick than trade it for Landry Shamet not to mention including Jevon Carter who has turned into a very serviceable point guard.

It's the money the Suns invested in Shamet that makes it an especially bad decision.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give you Jalen smith over Haliburton being clearly horrible, but what happened in 2021 exactly?
he traded a first round pick for that stiff Shamet and then compounded the trade by dishing out a 3 year 30 million (or was it even worse 4 for 40) dollar extension for no reason whatsoever.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pick ended up being Day'Ron Sharpe. Landry, even if he doesn't live up to our standards, is a WAY better player.
his 10 million on the cap every year makes him worse than no one at all.

Shamet has been next to useless for probably 80% of the time he's played with us and his money should have been earmarked for someone like Cam Johnson down the line. Instead it's just more build up into the luxury tax.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
he traded a first round pick for that stiff Shamet and then compounded the trade by dishing out a 3 year 30 million (or was it even worse 4 for 40) dollar extension for no reason whatsoever.
Have you looked at his contract? The 2nd to last year is only partially guaranteed and the last year is a team option. I got this third-hand, so it may not be true, but if that is true, it's not as bad.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So looks like I was partially right. 2024-25 is non-guaranteed until the start of free agency. And 2025-26 is a Team Option.
Yeah, it's not that bad. It's like CP3's. We have options to move on.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curry popped his shoulder tonight in the Golden State loss.

YEah hopefully just popped out and not worse. Looked painful though he was having trouble walking because of the pain. Was on his way to 50. They played the last quarter without him having played the whole game without Klay and Wiggins.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Fair enough. What I will say is that it was a late first and that is worth taking a shot at a player that you think can be a good role player. The odds of getting a good player from that pick isn't high. The big miss here was the extension as it wasn't warranted and ties up a lot of money that we could be using elsewhere.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not that bad. It's like CP3's. We have options to move on.

I guess it's the way you look at it.

The Suns have to pay Shamet approximately $20 million guaranteed for the 2022-23 and 2023-24 seasons.

Chris Paul is guaranteed $15.8 million for next season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. What I will say is that it was a late first and that is worth taking a shot at a player that you think can be a good role player. The odds of getting a good player from that pick isn't high. The big miss here was the extension as it wasn't warranted and ties up a lot of money that we could be using elsewhere.

Yeah. It was giving Shamet the extension that really hurt. It would have been better to miss on the draft pick.

Bottom line, it was two wasted first round picks in a row.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stephen Curry will get an MRI tomorrow.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I always liked Carter. Dude worked his butt off, he was like the point guard version of PJ Tucker. Not surprised to see him round into a really solid bench guy.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I always liked Carter. Dude worked his butt off, he was like the point guard version of PJ Tucker. Not surprised to see him round into a really solid bench guy.

Agree, although we now have Okogie. He’s the new Carter, a better Carter.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
YEah hopefully just popped out and not worse. Looked painful though he was having trouble walking because of the pain. Was on his way to 50. They played the last quarter without him having played the whole game without Klay and Wiggins.

Shoulder issues are weird. Maybe all he did was strain it, but they're extremely prone to re injury.

I have a backround in orthopedics but am by no means an expert on shoulders, however, how quick he was to react to the pain makes me think there was probably something more than just a strain. But he clearly didn't dislocate it.

Worst case is a torn labrum... which... I don't really know how a basketball team would approach, but it wouldn't be devastating. Most likely it popped out and then back in. Nothing that requires surgery but would need strengthening to prevent re-injury.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That’s such an odd play. Why am I gonna give it to my physical PF 3’ behind the three point line and clear out for him.

Randle isn’t going to drive that’s not what he does.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm expecting some trades or rumors of trades today. It would be great to resolve the matter with Crowder.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoulder issues are weird. Maybe all he did was strain it, but they're extremely prone to re injury.

I have a backround in orthopedics but am by no means an expert on shoulders, however, how quick he was to react to the pain makes me think there was probably something more than just a strain. But he clearly didn't dislocate it.

Worst case is a torn labrum... which... I don't really know how a basketball team would approach, but it wouldn't be devastating. Most likely it popped out and then back in. Nothing that requires surgery but would need strengthening to prevent re-injury.

Yeah it was odd he reached in trying to get a steal and then as you said immediately reacted in pain.

I'm hoping for the best the season would be over if Steph has to miss significant time given the injury and age issues they already have. And Steph was having one of those "human torch" games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for something to happen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for something to happen.

Considering who some of the “key reserves” are I’m surprised with damion lees shooting this season that he’s not considered at that level.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose