Week 14 2022: Heroes and Goats

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's quarters coverage and there was no one running under him. He was the most responsible player on that route.

That's what the guy said on tape that Simmons reacts like he thinks Jones is throwing underneath but there is nobody underneath to throw to in the zone, he just guessed because he was looking in the backfield.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes -- but it sure seemed like Isiah should have gotten more depth on his drop

That's what the tape guy is saying because Simmons moved forward, it made the throw much easier. Jones doesn't have to drop it over Simmons he can throw it on a line so it's a much easier throw.

There actually IS an underneath guy but he's the RB #35 and Simmons is actually stepping up before the RB has even left the backfield and you can see Jones isn't even remotely looking at him let alone throwing to him. I had a hard time freezing the video but Henry is at the 35 yard line and Simmons is behind him and breaking forward(for whatever reason). When the ball is thrown, Simmons is at the 32 yard line and Henry is at the 25 so Jones has a direct line throw without having to loft it over Simmons.

You must be registered for see images attach

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pic shows what I am talking about. Simmons isn't supposed to be playing a deep zone there.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I'd like to see this next draft just focus on the trenches. Keim seems to love "sexy" picks too much. I'm liking what I see from Sanders and Thomas and both should be playing a bunch right now. Lock up Zach Allen. It's not all crap, there are some good players on the roster. Marco Wilson has developed into a solid corner...last I checked he's actually been better than Murphy, though Murphy has taken on more #1s.

Keim just isn't the guy to take on this mini-rebuild. If the Cardinals brought in the right GM, they could be a decent team next year.

Exactly. In fact I feel like there is quite a bit of pure talent on the roster, which is what makes this season so horribly disappointing.

The 2018 team never had a chance. This team has massively underachieved vs. it's talent level, and that's why I'm ready for GM and coaching changes.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pic shows what I am talking about. Simmons isn't supposed to be playing a deep zone there.

If I could expand it you will see as he comes up there's a MASSIVE gap behind him. He's not playing a deep zone no but he is responsible for the guy coming through his zone. there's nothing in front of him #35 the RB is NOT his responsibility there's a Cardinal player right next to 35 that actually can pick him up if need be. There's nothing behind him. He guessed he got caught looking in and for some reason thought the ball was coming out in front of him.

If he just stays where he is, instead of moving up 5 yards, it makes that a much harder throw.

Think of the play where Colt tries to laser one in to McBride and the LB tips it and McBride is unable to snag it. It's a very similar play and McBride is open but because the LB had more depth Colt was unable to just throw it there on a line. Simmons stepping up allowed Jones to throw it on a line and get it there.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I could expand it you will see as he comes up there's a MASSIVE gap behind him. He's not playing a deep zone no but he is responsible for the guy coming through his zone. there's nothing in front of him #35 the RB is NOT his responsibility there's a Cardinal player right next to 35 that actually can pick him up if need be. There's nothing behind him. He guessed he got caught looking in and for some reason thought the ball was coming out in front of him.

If he just stays where he is, instead of moving up 5 yards, it makes that a much harder throw.

Think of the play where Colt tries to laser one in to McBride and the LB tips it and McBride is unable to snag it. It's a very similar play and McBride is open but because the LB had more depth Colt was unable to just throw it there on a line. Simmons stepping up allowed Jones to throw it on a line and get it there.
Of course there is a massive gap behind him. That is why having Simmons playing a short zone instead of man to man is the problem.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course there is a massive gap behind him. That is why having Simmons playing a short zone instead of man to man is the problem.

But again he's NOT playing a short zone, he's playing a zone in the middle of the field but he steps FORWARD when the guy is running behind him. There's one eligible receiver in front of him the RB #35 and he's actually covered by someone who's standing right next to him at the point Simmons breaks up.

We are obviously not going to agree but I've watched it over and over, he guessed and got it wrong, he was looking at the QB and reading his eyes and got fooled by Jones giving Mac an easy straight line throw to the TE. At the point that picture is taken he's almost 20 yards away from where Jones is throwing the ball he just guessed wrong.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But again he's NOT playing a short zone, he's playing a zone in the middle of the field but he steps FORWARD when the guy is running behind him. There's one eligible receiver in front of him the RB #35 and he's actually covered by someone who's standing right next to him at the point Simmons breaks up.

We are obviously not going to agree but I've watched it over and over, he guessed and got it wrong, he was looking at the QB and reading his eyes and got fooled by Jones giving Mac an easy straight line throw to the TE. At the point that picture is taken he's almost 20 yards away from where Jones is throwing the ball he just guessed wrong.
Yeah, I don't think we will agree. If he thought he had over the top coverage, his job IS to play underneath.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree on all accounts, though I like Brown more than you do.

It's just such a crap show. That's why you're seeing me less and less on the Cardinals forum because I don't enjoy talking about failures and defeats that I can't fix myself.

Things have to change. Hopefully seeing Michael Bidwill without Keim is a harbinger of what's coming. Keim has had more than enough time to show that he can't build a consistent winner. Can Adrian Wilson build one? Can Quentin Harris build one? Unfortunately, I think if Keim is fired, we see one of those two get elevated to the top spot. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that AW was the one who made those comments to Jordan Schulz. Imagine how you would feel, working for your beloved team and seeing an incompetent buffoon running the show.

Keim just doesn't really have an organizational philosophy. When you look at the Pittsburgh Steelers, there is a clear organizational philosophy. Same with the Ravens. Same with the Niners. You can literally watch a college prospect and say, "That's a Pittsburgh Steelers kind of player." Can you say the same thing about the Cardinals?
Sure. Old and injury history and drafted to play a new position. Or, during the keim era: another ILB.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Hero- McBride... after dropping a pass the week before gets absolutely drilled and holds onto the ball, is seen dazed walking off the field but made sure not to drop the pass and have to say that was the best moment of the game for me seeing a young man grow and show his metal

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would add a few more goats in honor of our season hitting rock bottom:

Gardeck/Golden - I had to check the box score to make sure Gardeck played. He did. I bet you didn't notice, either. Golden made a "business decision" on that 3 yard TD run. Pretty disappointing for a guy who needs to give 100% effort to be effective. The 2 of these guys have combined for 2.5 sacks this season.

Vance Joseph- This defense is last in the league in points allowed. There are huge holes in the roster, but there is talent there, and the guys on the field seem to still have huge amounts of trouble even lining up correctly. At some point, you have to make your scheme fit your personnel, and it looks like VJ has taken a Whisenhuntian stance on keeping it complicated. That isn't going to work.

Cody Ford - I expect nothing from Cody Ford, so maybe it's unfair to include him, but I fully expect someone to lift him off his feet and carry him to the QB before the end of the year. What film was Keim watching of this guy to trade a 5th round pick for him? Keim has really lost his MOJO with trades lately, which means he essentially does nothing well anymore.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Gardeck/Golden - I had to check the box score to make sure Gardeck played. He did. I bet you didn't notice, either. Golden made a "business decision" on that 3 yard TD run. Pretty disappointing for a guy who needs to give 100% effort to be effective. The 2 of these guys have combined for 2.5 sacks this season.

Vance Joseph- This defense has allowed at least 25 points in 7 straight games and are last in the league in points allowed. There are huge holes in the roster, but there is talent there, and the guys on the field seem to still have huge amounts of trouble even lining up correctly. At some point, you have to make your scheme fit your personnel, and it looks like VJ has taken a Whisenhuntian stance on keeping it complicated. That isn't going to work.

Cody Ford - I expect nothing from Cody Ford, so maybe it's unfair to include him, but I fully expect someone to lift him off his feet and carry him to the QB before the end of the year. What film was Keim watching of this guy to trade a 5th round pick for him? Keim has really lost his MOJO with trades lately, which means he essentially does nothing well anymore.
Psst - the defense only allowed 20 points on MNF. There was a defensive TD scored against us.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Psst - the defense only allowed 20 points on MNF. There was a defensive TD scored against us.
Yeah, I missed that Rams game where they only scored 17 pts, too, so I totally messed up that stat. But the defense is still averaging 28.7 PA over the last 7 games, so my thesis of the defense sucking remains true.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Our bar is so low.
If our players would consistently show that dedication and fortitude exhibited in that one play, we could raise that bar exponentially. That one play summed up what this franchise needs to start doing in a nutshell and that is why it resonated with me so much

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm a sad fan these days...... The ownership/GM/Coaching poo-poo-platter has me so irate every week.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Gardeck
Gardeck is one of the best...3 years, 12 mil for someone who is a decent special teams player, but complete garbage on D.

Keim time!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If our players would consistently show that dedication and fortitude exhibited in that one play, we could raise that bar exponentially. That one play summed up what this franchise needs to start doing in a nutshell and that is why it resonated with me so much
When he consistently shows that level of dedication and fortitude I’ll give him kudos.

Catching 1 pass while getting a solid hit? Like I said… pathetically low bar we have.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
A bit disingenuous. Sanders/Thomas in the 3rd round was the plan for replacing Jones long term.
He said this season. Instead of trying to replace our former pro bowler, we had the corpse of Kennard and Gardeck as our solution. Not a serious team.