The Official US Soccer thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The last odds I saw was even money for US to advance out of the group. Things probably aren't as gloomy and doomy as us fans think...
Yeah I think they can get out of the group, but there are no games where they are clear favorites either. It's weird that they arguably have their best talent in history yet they still may struggle due to some difficult matchups. this whole WC is just weird, maybe the timing and the lack of travel can work into their advantage in keeping their top players fit. every WC there's always some unexpected results so hopefully that favors our team.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Pretty clear it is Turner between the sticks, which is smart. Steffen has been absolutely garbage, so while it's harsh he doesn't even make the roster, I'm glad there won't be a temptation to start him. Why TF is Morris even on this roster? I guarantee Berhalter thinks his experience is gold, but what use is experience when you stink and have stunk for a long time? Agreed with all about the defense. As a Newcastle fan, I've seen the difference between defenders that can (or are allowed to) distribute properly from the back and defenders that are better at just hoofing it down the field. You really, really need defenders that can pass, and do we have them? Meh.

We'll see. I don't have confidence we'll advance from the group stages, but I am getting excited. I took Black Friday off, and luckily have the prior Monday off, so I'll get to see at least two of the games live.
I agree, I defended Steffen for a while thinking that he would recover from his struggles by changing scenery, but I've heard he struggled at Middlesborough as well.

I agree about the defense, it seems like their top 2 center backs and their 2 full backs will be ok playing out of the back, but I'm not sure about the other players. I don't know much about them other than Yedlin who I'm sure will split time with Dest. My favorite of the top 4 defensive players that they have is Robinson. I also like the Ream decision because he has earned it with his play at Fulham and he will have natural chemistry with Robinson. Robinson works really hard, he gets forward, and he actually defends well unlike Dest who seems to be attack minded only. But Dest clearly can be on the front foot and even score goals if needed. the USA really missed Robinson in the last USA camp, I don't know that they have a player who has a higher work rate than he does.

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Would be hilarious if they (Halaand and City) said “screw it, we’re in!” Never hurts to ask.

Attachments

• D82E0FE7-6F34-4C0A-BC3F-DA1735A25420.jpeg
    D82E0FE7-6F34-4C0A-BC3F-DA1735A25420.jpeg
    658.2 KB · Views: 4

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Genuinely can't fathom the idea that Aaronson may not start.
You could easily make an argument that Reyna and Pulisic would and should start over Aaronson. There is even an argument for Weah.

...and I REALLY like Aaronson.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think weah, aaronson, and Reyna all deserve to start and surely 1-2 of them will start. now that 5 subs are allowed they can also sub in and out earlier and hopefully keep one another fit. Aaronson will be able to play at a high work rate, he is a pest, but has all of the talent to go with it. I'm excited to see all of these players together again. it's been a long time since they've had their full squad together. Hopefully they are fully fit.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think weah, aaronson, and Reyna all deserve to start and surely 1-2 of them will start. now that 5 subs are allowed they can also sub in and out earlier and hopefully keep one another fit. Aaronson will be able to play at a high work rate, he is a pest, but has all of the talent to go with it. I'm excited to see all of these players together again. it's been a long time since they've had their full squad together. Hopefully they are fully fit.
We have some quality attacking players, but Pulisic isn't in form, and we still don't have a good established striker. That's going to make things difficult. That said, if England are stupid enough to start Maguire, which they probably are, we have a solid chance up front. Iran and Wales aren't stonewalling everyone either. We shall see.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We have some quality attacking players, but Pulisic isn't in form, and we still don't have a good established striker. That's going to make things difficult. That said, if England are stupid enough to start Maguire, which they probably are, we have a solid chance up front. Iran and Wales aren't stonewalling everyone either. We shall see.

The lack of an in form striker is concerning for sure. Our goals will likely come out of the midfield and on set pieces with Zimmerman, Robinson and McKennie as obvious targets in the air. We should get 6 points from Wales and Iran which will get us through no matter what happens with the England match. If they start slow and disappoint in the first match then they probably are toast.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Good point about pulisic. I guess the good thing for him is that the USMNT is not Chelsea.

I actually think he’s the one that will have to fill that striker void for the USA until someone else does. He is lacking confidence at Chelsea for obvious reasons. He had a chance in his last game that he squandered and it actually looked like he stopped competing when he got pushed off the ball which is frustrating. But my hope is that his struggles at Chelsea motivate him to do well for our country. I would remind people that have gone full negative on pulisic, he’s already had incredible success for two titans in Europe and has lifted two trophies. Let’s not beat the guy down too hard.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The lack of an in form striker is concerning for sure. Our goals will likely come out of the midfield and on set pieces with Zimmerman, Robinson and McKennie as obvious targets in the air. We should get 6 points from Wales and Iran which will get us through no matter what happens with the England match. If they start slow and disappoint in the first match then they probably are toast.
Yeah it feels like weah, Aaronson, and pulisic are all kind of playing similar positions. Sargent has been scoring more than any American player of late in England at Norwich. I think he if anyone should have a go as a 9. Interestingly I watched an Aaronson interview today and he said he sees himself as an 8 that plays in midfield. I think he has sort of played that role some at Leeds behind rodrigo, but not 100 percent sure because I haven’t watched many Leeds games. Aaronson had a hell of an assist last week against Tottenham.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it feels like weah, Aaronson, weah, and pulisic are all kind of playing the same positions. Sargent has been scoring more than any American player of late in England at Norwich. I think he if anyone should have a go as a 9. Interestingly I watched an Aaronson interview today and he said he sees himself as an 8 that plays in midfield. I think he has sort of player that role some at Leeds behind rodrigo, but not 100 percent sure because I haven’t watched many Leeds games. Aaronson had a hell of an assist last week against Tottenham.
Haji Wright has 9 goals in 12 matches. That is an incredible return.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Haji Wright has 9 goals in 12 matches. That is an incredible return.
Wow I didn’t know that. Sargent struggled last year with norwich in the premier league. But he has found a groove with Norwich in the championship, so I guess we have to wait and see if his success is due the level of competition vs. him just getting more comfortable at his club.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think Jesus Ferreira starts at striker over both Wright and Sargent and I really don't think its unwarranted. He had 18 goals and 6 assists this year for Dallas, he's just 21 yrs old too. The problem is he is small, under 5' 9", so he isn't a true target forward.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Jesus Ferreira starts at striker over both Wright and Sargent and I really don't think its unwarranted.
Unfortunately I think you are right. I still would rather Pulisic play a false 9 and have a front 3 of Reyna, Pulisic, Aaronson/Weah, but whatever.

He had 18 goals and 6 assists this year for Dallas, he's just 21 yrs old too. The problem is he is small, under 5' 9", so he isn't a true target forward.

MLS is probably the 7th or 8th greatest league the world. Sadly, we have seen what world beaters in MLS can do. (Wondolowski)

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think you are right. I still would rather Pulisic play a false 9 and have a front 3 of Reyna, Pulisic, Aaronson/Weah, but whatever.

MLS is probably the 7th or 8th greatest league the world. Sadly, we have seen what world beaters in MLS can do. (Wondolowski)

He is 21 yrs old, he isn't Wondolowski who we tried to make an international in his late 20's. You can't just dismiss production, especially for a youngster who also has played well for the USMNT just because he plays in MLS. MLS produces players who have international success for the US--Dempsey, Howard, Bocanegra, Beasley all began their pro careers in MLS. Of our current team McKennie, Adams, Turner, Aaronson all began with MLS.

I am less thrilled about Morris due to his age and recent injury history but of the other MLSers I think Zimmerman is a solid starter and I wish Miles Robinson wasn't hurt as he'd probably solidify our centerback pairing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is 21 yrs old, he isn't Wondolowski who we tried to make an international in his late 20's. You can't just dismiss production, especially for a youngster who also has played well for the USMNT just because he plays in MLS. MLS produces players who have international success for the US--Dempsey, Howard, Bocanegra, Beasley all began their pro careers in MLS. Of our current team McKennie, Adams, Turner, Aaronson all began with MLS.
I don't fully dismiss it. I don't find it all that impressive. It is a sad state of affairs right now for USMNT and this is supposed to be a golden generation.

I don't mind them starting in the MLS. It is a lower league and should be used as a stepping stone to Europe like a lot of the players you listed. Berhalter has always needed to grab a majority of their talent from the MLS, and that is an underlying issue.
I am less thrilled about Morris due to his age and recent injury history but of the other MLSers I think Zimmerman is a solid starter and I wish Miles Robinson wasn't hurt as he'd probably solidify our centerback pairing.
You definitely aren't wrong here. First time in a couple generations that you can't say, 'well, at least have USMNT has a solid GK and defense.'

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't fully dismiss it. I don't find it all that impressive. It is a sad state of affairs right now for USMNT and this is supposed to be a golden generation.

I don't mind them starting in the MLS. It is a lower league and should be used as a stepping stone to Europe like a lot of the players you listed. Berhalter has always needed to grab a majority of their talent from the MLS, and that is an underlying issue.

You definitely aren't wrong here. First time in a couple generations that you can't say, 'well, at least have USMNT has a solid GK and defense.'

I think other than the Gold Cup and friendlies our rosters are always European based player heavy. What are there like 6 players out of 26 from MLS on this roster? I just counted--7, that is far from a majority.

Considering our player pool about the only swap would be Pefok or Pepi for Morris and maybe Busio for Roldan. Remember when we made the mistake of taking Green over Donovan or the talk of capping Zelalem right away (he is in MLS now)? That was just based on where they were playing and nothing more.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think other than the Gold Cup and friendlies our rosters are always European based player heavy. What are there like 6 players out of 26 from MLS on this roster? I just counted--7, that is far from a majority.

Considering our player pool about the only swap would be Pefok or Pepi for Morris and maybe Busio for Roldan. Remember when we made the mistake of taking Green over Donovan or the talk of capping Zelalem right away (he is in MLS now)? That was just based on where they were playing and nothing more.
We are definitely further along now than we were the last WC in a lot of ways. GK, striker and CB pairing, (arguably the 3 most important we are worse off.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We are definitely further along now than we were the last WC in a lot of ways. GK, striker and CB pairing, (arguably the 3 most important we are worse off.

This is a young group though, of the projected starters the only ones who will be over 30 in the next WC would be Zimmerman, Turner, Ream and Yedlin (I honestly don't think Yedlin will start). Who knows maybe Berhalter will surprise us and Cameron Cater-Vickers will start next to Zimmerman instead of Ream? Either way this is a young team that is still talented enough to make it out of the group.

If Chris Richards and Miles Robinson were healthy I'd feel a lot better about our back line...you could probably pencil both of them in over Zimmerman and Ream for the 2026 roster, but I also would have said John Brooks was a lock at the start of qualifying for this roster, guess a lot can happen.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a young group though, of the projected starters the only ones who will be over 30 in the next WC would be Zimmerman, Turner, Ream and Yedlin (I honestly don't think Yedlin will start). Who knows maybe Berhalter will surprise us and Cameron Cater-Vickers will start next to Zimmerman instead of Ream? Either way this is a young team that is still talented enough to make it out of the group.

If Chris Richards and Miles Robinson were healthy I'd feel a lot better about our back line...you could probably pencil both of them in over Zimmerman and Ream for the 2026 roster, but I also would have said John Brooks was a lock at the start of qualifying for this roster, guess a lot can happen.
That would be an absolute shock. I expect Ream to start. He can actually pass the ball out of the back too which is something this team will need.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That would be an absolute shock. I expect Ream to start. He can actually pass the ball out of the back too which is something this team will need.

Ream is smart and a good passer and has some leadership about him (or he wouldn't be captain in Fulham) plus he has chemistry with Robinson, I fully expect him to start against England but I could see Berhalter resting him against Wales so he is 100% for England. I could be completely off base but that is a move that wouldn't shock me. Just like I could see Yedlin start one of the 3 matches too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ream is smart and a good passer and has some leadership about him (or he wouldn't be captain in Fulham) plus he has chemistry with Robinson, I fully expect him to start against England but I could see Berhalter resting him against Wales so he is 100% for England. I could be completely off base but that is a move that wouldn't shock me. Just like I could see Yedlin start one of the 3 matches too.
I would be. Berhalter does like to overthink things sometimes though. Hmm

Stout

Reaction score
Good point about pulisic. I guess the good thing for him is that the USMNT is not Chelsea.

I actually think he’s the one that will have to fill that striker void for the USA until someone else does. He is lacking confidence at Chelsea for obvious reasons. He had a chance in his last game that he squandered and it actually looked like he stopped competing when he got pushed off the ball which is frustrating. But my hope is that his struggles at Chelsea motivate him to do well for our country. I would remind people that have gone full negative on pulisic, he’s already had incredible success for two titans in Europe and has lifted two trophies. Let’s not beat the guy down too hard.
I was quite glad he wasted his last game at Chelsea :D

Stout

Reaction score

You should be banned for uttering that obscenity on this board lol

Seriously, I've still never forgiven him for missing that sitter against Belgium. We completely wasted Timmy Howard's record-breaking effort, and it's a crime he didn't get the golden gloves that WC.

Stout

Reaction score
A Ream/Zimmerman partnership would really, really not inspire me with confidence, though. Watching the Newcastle transition, it's night and day between a defense that just turtles then has to hoof it up the field, and defenders that can actually pass out of the back. That pairing would be more of the hoofing variety.