Inside Bruce Arians’ post-coaching life

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were a couple of interesting Cards-related tidbits in this article in the Athletic:

Arians is a rarity in that he never fired or demoted an assistant. For two years early in his career, he worked as a running backs coach for Bear Bryant at Alabama. In 38 years as a head coach, Bryant never fired an assistant, Arians says.

Arians: “That’s everything I don’t believe in. As long as your conduct is good and you work your a– off, my job is to make sure you get better. If you’re going to fire someone, fire me.”
This at first seems to be an admirable attitude, yet it precluded Arians from recognizing that, regardless of who's fault it is, his Special Teams Coordinator wasn't getting it done and needed to be replaced. If a player isn't getting the job done, you coach him up as much as you can, but if it's still not working, you've gotta replace him... why should it be different with an assistant coach? Ultimately, it's just arrogant to refuse to admit that a guy isn't good at his job and your efforts to make sure he gets better aren't working... that you chose the wrong guy for the job and now you need to find someone better.

One Super Bowl his team didn’t play in still bothers him. Arians coached the Cardinals to a 13-3 record in 2015, but in the NFC Championship Game at Carolina, they had seven turnovers and allowed Cam Newton to throw two touchdown passes and rush for two in a 49-15 loss.

Arians: “I was shocked how we played. I thought we were so ready to beat Carolina and we laid an egg. I’m still shocked. We had such a great week of prep. But I have no regrets about it.”

The year he thought he did his best coaching probably isn’t one anyone would guess. In 2017, his last year with the Cardinals, the team lost many to injury, including Palmer, running back David Johnson, Markus Golden, their leading sacker from the year before, and most of their offensive line. They still won four of their last six (including victories over 7-3 Jacksonville, 8-4 Tennessee and 9-6 Seattle) to finish 8-8.
...dave

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lets be real here Big Bad Bruce turned Carson Turnover Machine Palmer into a MVP candidate
Agree, but Carson couldn’t deliver when it really counted. Mostly because he was out injured, but he was average against the Packers in the 2015 playoff game, and then God awful against Panthers. As someone who’s been around a long, long time, the only Cardinal QB that played well when it really counted in the playoffs was HOF’er Warner. And I’ve been watching and waiting since 1964.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What frustrated me the most late in his tenure was Palmer throwing 40 yard passes into triple coverage in the middle of the field on 4th & 1, and hearing BA say no risk it, no biscuit in the post game presser. After 1 game of Wilks, I would have cut all three legs off to have BA back.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What frustrated me the most late in his tenure was Palmer throwing 40 yard passes into triple coverage in the middle of the field on 4th & 1, and hearing BA say no risk it, no biscuit in the post game presser. After 1 game of Wilks, I would have cut all three legs off to have BA back.
Like momma always said "be careful what you wish for" lol?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, but Carson couldn’t deliver when it really counted. Mostly because he was out injured, but he was average against the Packers in the 2015 playoff game, and then God awful against Panthers. As someone who’s been around a long, long time, the only Cardinal QB that played well when it really counted in the playoffs was HOF’er Warner. And I’ve been watching and waiting since 1964.
Didn't he have 5 INT's in the Panthers game if I remember correctly?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Loved BA - hated the stubbornness.

Amos needing to go was obvious but learned above that he wanted to be like Bear Bryant. Just not realistic unless you are winning like Bear Bryant.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Didn't he have 5 INT's in the Panthers game if I remember correctly?
Yes. He also threw at least 2 against the Packers in the Divisional game. That’s the only reason the Packers were still in that game. If Murray had back to back games like that, certain haters on this board would have their heads explode.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not ever. Pretty sure he had his knee blown out on the first play of the game in his first playoff game as a Bengal against the hated Steelers.
Yup. Right as he threw a 75 yard bomb for a TD. Guy hit low on the play and that was that for his ACL.

Also, he was really bad in that GB game. He threw 2 TDs, but the first was a pass deflected by the defense at the goal line that boinked perfectly into Floyd’s arms eight yards deep in the end zone.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Right as he threw a 75 yard bomb for a TD. Guy hit low on the play and that was that for his ACL.

Also, he was really bad in that GB game. He threw 2 TDs, but the first was a pass deflected by the defense at the goal line that boinked perfectly into Floyd’s arms eight yards deep in the end zone.

Hehe you said boinked

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

And what sucked, the Bengals were the better team & it was a home game. After Palmer got hurt, the Steelers eventually dominated & won the game. Damn, I hate the Steelers.