I'm sorry!!!!

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's easy to say, but pretty hard to do.

Knowing his natural talent level you either had to give him his deal and keep him happy or get rid of him. Going into this season the obvious assumption was he would continue to progress.

Like it or not the Cards didn't really have much choice.
This has already been discussed on multiple threads. Cardinals had plenty of choices. They held his rights for at least 3 more years. Same situation Lamar Jackson is going thru. I was against rushing to give Kyler a contract this year after how bad he finished the last two years. Now we are seeing why

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Colt had a great game. We see it all the time when a backup comes in and smokes us. The problem is they usually fall off quickly as defenses get film and take away what they're doing. Colt had a couple of nice games last year but also a really awful game against the Panthers. If he can play like this every week, then keep playing him. I just don't think it lasts.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I trust Colt McCoy more than I do Kyler Murray. Yes I'm fresh off of my 4th cocktail of the evening, but I am going to give our backup qb his flowers while I can. This is by no means a call for him to be the starter, but it's a pretty damning indictment of our head coach's "tailor made" offense when a qb with nowhere near the physical ability of our franchise qb is more trustworthy, more calm, and more in command of this team when he's under center. I love K1, I back the guy. He's the man to lead this franchise for years to come, but it was a pleasure today to watch Colt operate, and I am thankful he's on this team. Even going back to last year, the Carolina game being his only crap out, he gave us stellar backup play, and operated as someone who has been in this league 10 + years. A flat-out toast to 12 tonight dammit!
Well said… even with 4 cocktails!

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's a pretty damning indictment of our head coach's "tailor made" offense when a qb with nowhere near the physical ability of our franchise qb is more trustworthy, more calm, and more in command of this team when he's under center.
I'm not sure you wrote what you meant. Or if you did, it makes no sense to me.

It's a pretty strong ENDORSEMENT of the head coach's offense when the backup QB can run it efficiently and win going away. It's a pretty damning INDICTMENT of the starting QB when he can't run the offense without constantly missing wide open WRs, going "off schedule", panicking in the pocket, never seems to have enough time to throw even when the starting OL was healthy, and all his standard and advanced stats BLOW. Sad to say.

...dave

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Knowing his natural talent level you either had to give him his deal and keep him happy or get rid of him. Going into this season the obvious assumption was he would continue to progress.

Wrong. The Cardinals had Kyler under control for TWO more years. They did not have to extend him this year, and the shouldn’t of have.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wrong. The Cardinals had Kyler under control for TWO more years. They did not have to extend him this year, and the shouldn’t of have.
Having him under contract is not the same thing as keeping him happy. Kyler made it clear he was not going to be happy without the new contract. He's not a natural born leader to begin with, having him pissed off would only exacerbate the problem.

Now I can understand you do not think it was important if he was happy, but you don't have to work with him every day, and your employment does not depend on good QB play - but Keim's and Kingsbury's does.

I think everyone would agree the contract was not a good idea now, but that is hindsight and I dare say almost nobody thought his performance would be this poor this season when the negotiations were occurring.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having him under contract is not the same thing as keeping him happy. Kyler made it clear he was not going to be happy without the new contract.

Now I can understand you do not think it was important if he was happy, but you don't have to work with him every day, and your employment does not depend on good QB play - but Keim's and Kingsbury's does.

I think everyone would agree the contract was not a good idea now, but that is hindsight and I dare say almost nobody thought his performance would be this poor this season when the negotiations were occurring.

For quite a few of us it wasn’t hindsight… Many of us said that he should have this year to prove himself. Especially after his epic meltdown last year. The team still had control if he decided to sit out so be it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having him under contract is not the same thing as keeping him happy. Kyler made it clear he was not going to be happy without the new contract. He's not a natural born leader to begin with, having him pissed off would only exacerbate the problem.

Sorry. Totally disagree. Kyler was already a millionaire. He signed a contract and in no way , no how did earn a $240m contract. Awhhhh, Kyler isn’t happy. Well he’s happy now a playing like dog dirt.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There were PLENTY of people who said the contract wasn’t a good idea when he signed it because of his consecutive 2nd half of the season meltdowns. I wasn’t even one of them, but I can admit those that said it at the time weren’t looking back in hindsight. That’s called FORESIGHT.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For quite a few of us it wasn’t hindsight… Many of us said that he should have this year to prove himself. Especially after his epic meltdown last year. The team still had control if he decided to sit out so be it.
This

There was no rush to get him a new contract until we saw if last seasons collapse was a fluke or his game was declining

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Bunk. If you said his natural athleticism, sure. He's athletic, but he is not a "natural" or "generational" or "a talent" or anything else at this point. This is like the poster version of Kyler's ability to just "see the field." He's not a natural talent and doesn't want to put the work in to hone his natural athleticism into real talent. He doesn't have the attitude or work ethic.

And, no, this wasn't a simple, binary choice. People can keep pushing that narrative to defend a bad decision by this FO, but it's not at all true.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

If this is happy, I’d hate to see sad.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all relative. He may not have even reported without an extension.
If true, then he’s never going to be worth the contract he signed. Dak reported without a contract extension. Lamar reported with a contract extension. Both guys who have actually won division titles and gotten to the playoffs multiple times and one them even won an MVP.

If he didn’t have the intestinal fortitude to prove himself worthy of a contract he didn’t get, then he ain’t the guy… for any team who hopes to win a title.

OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure you wrote what you meant. Or if you did, it makes no sense to me.

It's a pretty strong ENDORSEMENT of the head coach's offense when the backup QB can run it efficiently and win going away. It's a pretty damning INDICTMENT of the starting QB when he can't run the offense without constantly missing wide open WRs, going "off schedule", panicking in the pocket, never seems to have enough time to throw even when the starting OL was healthy, and all his standard and advanced stats BLOW. Sad to say.

...dave
I'm not mad at that Daves, although I stand by what I said. To give KK credit would be contrary to what I believe is his inability to recognize that by continuing to trot that offense out there week after week and expect us to have success at this point is an epic fail. The fact that Colt, because of his limitations could not run the same offense that we've been running, yet experienced "instant" success is where my issue lies. No one can convince me otherwise that what we saw was the exact same play tree that Kyler has at his disposal. I'll give our coach some credit yesterday, but I'm not ready to point the finger at K1's deficiencies in light of this win. Oh, and make no mistake I AM angry with Kyler, but again this post was more about heaping praise on Colt than anything else.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose