What would have happened?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Its funny how if the kid makes the FG we aren't putting as much emphasis on this. Yes, sorry he didn't make the 1st down and give us a shot of winning, but we still go into OT and feel we got the chance we were hoping for.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry… I can only assume you don’t watch other competent teams because good teams/QB don’t clock it with 40 SECONDS LEFT when you have the defense on skates going backwards.

This happens ALL the time. Especially with 40 seconds left on the clock.
It does. I do.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It would have been ok if Murray had run out of bounds, which he could have done.

Correct, but I would not want to rely on a quarterback being able to make it out of bounds.

After the completion to Hollywood for a 1st down, we had the ball 1st and 10 on the 36 yard line with 36 seconds left. They spiked the ball. There should have been a 2nd play call already lined up. That's mistake 1 in my book, but not overly egregious. After that, you have 2 or 3 attempts to pass down the field to make it an easier field goal. Running the ball would just not be a part of my equation at all with 36 seconds left. It would be sideline throws that are either incomplete or out of bounds to stop the clock. Hell, you could even use one of those downs to heave one into the end zone for Hollywood on the sideline.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes… THAT IS THE PROBLEM. It’s not a tough take if you are a legit NFL Coach and legit Superstar QB who can make that next play like clockwork. The fact that we STILL can’t run an effective hurry up offense is pathetic.
Thought the hurry up offense was great. With no timeouts, and less than two minutes to play, we moved right down the field, into easy FG territory.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Correct, but I would not want to rely on a quarterback being able to make it out of bounds.

After the completion to Hollywood for a 1st down, we had the ball 1st and 10 on the 36 yard line with 36 seconds left. They spiked the ball. There should have been a 2nd play call already lined up. That's mistake 1 in my book, but not overly egregious. After that, you have 2 or 3 attempts to pass down the field to make it an easier field goal. Running the ball would just not be a part of my equation at all with 36 seconds left. It would be sideline throws that are either incomplete or out of bounds to stop the clock. Hell, you could even use one of those downs to heave one into the end zone for Hollywood on the sideline.
36 seconds is a ton of time for an NFL offense to get a QB run play off and then clock the ball.

Dallas ran that dumb draw against San Francisco in the Wild Card game with just 24 seconds on the clock.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re damn right I am. HAVE A PLAY ready to go. It’s called a HURRY UP OFFENSE. GOOD teams are able to quickly call a play and get another one off there. Especially with 40 seconds left.

Note… that’s not on Kyler. That’s Kliff not prepared to run the most efficient hurry up possible.
Maybe he needs a two-minute offense script for moments like that? ;)

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
36 seconds is a ton of time for an NFL offense to get a QB run play off and then clock the ball.

Dallas ran that dumb draw against San Francisco in the Wild Card game with just 24 seconds on the clock.

Yes, it can be done, and done successfully. We got 9 yards in 14 seconds yesterday. That's pretty OK. There is just too much room for error on those plays for my liking. If I were a coach I wouldn't do it. Do you think the hectic nature of the situation factored in to Kyler sliding early? I do. If you're going down in bounds you want to go down on your terms, cleanly, where you can get up quick and get the ball to the referee without 3 defenders laying on you for 5 seconds pretending to be tangled up. It's just not a situation I want to be in. To each their own.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
No argument here. The end of game clock management has been awful since he came into the league.

There’s just no signs he’s getting better as a coach. And NFL defenses have figured out his offense.

He’s not a terrible coach. He’s not a good coach. He’s completely mediocre. And so is his team. Consistently over the course of a season.

That’s a terrible place to be in any league. It’s purgatory.
I think KK has plateaued and will not improve from here. It is the Peter Principle where someone reaches the level of their competency and cannot go higher.

Year 4 and he's making Nathaniel Hackett rookie mistakes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought the hurry up offense was great. With no timeouts, and less than two minutes to play, we moved right down the field, into easy FG territory.
Yeah. Worked out great with a terrible kicker where we settled for a FG at a distance he almost never makes.

Worked like a charm!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re damn right I am. HAVE A PLAY ready to go. It’s called a HURRY UP OFFENSE. GOOD teams are able to quickly call a play and get another one off there. Especially with 40 seconds left.

Note… that’s not on Kyler. That’s Kliff not prepared to run the most efficient hurry up possible.
When he has been running hurry up style much of the game anyways.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Yes… THAT IS THE PROBLEM. It’s not a tough take if you are a legit NFL Coach and legit Superstar QB who can make that next play like clockwork. The fact that we STILL can’t run an effective hurry up offense is pathetic.
I agree with you K1 should be calling his own plays in the 2 minute offense. He should not be waiting for snail KK to call a play, late substitute, and other BS.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you K1 should be calling his own plays in the 2 minute offense. He should not be waiting for snail KK to call a play, late substitute, and other BS.
Right? The best QBs in the game take that responsibility on and like it or not, Kyler talks like he’s one of the best in the game and more importantly is PAID like he’s one of the best in the game.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
After having more time to hear and read what all happened on and after the slide, I think you gotta put this one on KK. He was in Kyler's ear telling him to spike it rather than finding out for sure that he had the 1st down. Once again it is a mis-assumption from an inexperienced coach who constantly is making decisions without all the facts or with mis-information. IF this is exactly the way it went down, then I have had enough with him. He is just too inexperienced to be our coach any longer. I have had patience with him, but it is obvious he is over his head and fails to show that he is making progress in any timely manner. Personally, I would let him go right now to see how the team reacts to someone else at the helm, even if it is a temporary coach. Who knows, we might see a team come out in the first quarter ready to execute their planned and practiced opening plays and schemes.

The only question I have now is do we have anyone on staff to take over for the rest of the season?

By the way, who knows if the whole team, especially Kyler, wouldn't find a huge relief if KK is out of here. You might see them pick up their game a lot. I am sure none of the players can say it, but they might feel KK is a huge stone on their back right now holding them back from succeeding.
Sad that our HC has to baby sit our veteran, franchise QB while almost every other one runs it on their own.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler should know what play he wants to run and call it at the line.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Right? The best QBs in the game take that responsibility on and like it or not, Kyler talks like he’s one of the best in the game and more importantly is PAID like he’s one of the best in the game.
This 1000%.

There is not enough time for much communication in the two minute drill. Kyler should be taking over and not depending on his HC to save him.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You probably have an opportunity to try to get a couple shots into the end zone, at least. Clocking it for 4th down there made zero sense. Just being rattled in an end-game situation again is embarrassing.

Four more years!

Third and one with 22 seconds left and rolling, no timeouts, and thinking they could have lined up for a few shots in the end zone is a fantasy of embarrassing proportions. IMO.

First and ten, the clock stopped, then maybe.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
After having more time to hear and read what all happened on and after the slide, I think you gotta put this one on KK. He was in Kyler's ear telling him to spike it rather than finding out for sure that he had the 1st down. Once again it is a mis-assumption from an inexperienced coach who constantly is making decisions without all the facts or with mis-information. IF this is exactly the way it went down, then I have had enough with him. He is just too inexperienced to be our coach any longer. I have had patience with him, but it is obvious he is over his head and fails to show that he is making progress in any timely manner. Personally, I would let him go right now to see how the team reacts to someone else at the helm, even if it is a temporary coach. Who knows, we might see a team come out in the first quarter ready to execute their planned and practiced opening plays and schemes.

The only question I have now is do we have anyone on staff to take over for the rest of the season?

By the way, who knows if the whole team, especially Kyler, wouldn't find a huge relief if KK is out of here. You might see them pick up their game a lot. I am sure none of the players can say it, but they might feel KK is a huge stone on their back right now holding them back from succeeding.
Can’t call kliff “inexperienced.” This is his fourth year as a pro head coach and NINTH season as a head coach, period.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You probably have an opportunity to try to get a couple shots into the end zone, at least. Clocking it for 4th down there made zero sense. Just being rattled in an end-game situation again is embarrassing.

Four more years!
(It’s five more years)

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KK just isn’t that bright. Honestly he seems like a good guy but is kind of a mess. Overmatched at this level.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
OK, you get the first down and clock it with 22 seconds to play, no timeouts left, at the 25 yd line. Now it’s 2nd down.
What’s the play call? You know you have a scrub kicker that you don’t completely trust so, YES, you should try to get closer! You see other professional teams execute this all the time. A draw play is even possible since there’s time to clock it again after the play. The D is going to play conservative because they don’t want a TD pass, so a quick sideline pass for 5 yds is the safest but Take no sack! You can even take a shot into the end zone but this is the riskiest move, because Kyler has a tendency of flushing out of the pocket to see the field and the end zone will be crowded. Kyler can even drop back to pass and run it again if there’s an opening.
Bottom line it’s all risky if not executed well.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score

Four more years!
I disagree…”clocking it for 4th down” was the right move. The clock was running! If there was no play called then you have to audible, it’s a rushed play! There’s a lot can go wrong here! Anything in bounds and the kicker has to run out with less than 15 seconds to hurry a kick! A sack! An INT!
IMO…There’s more blame to Kyler Murray for sliding too early than blaming KK for clocking it on 3rd down with a running 22 second clock.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose