Who Here Is Happy We Extended Kyler?

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Gee, I really wish we had years of team control left over KM so we didn't have to pay him before we knew if he'd actually earn that big-money deal. What's that, you say? The Cards did have years of team control over KM? SMFH What a dumpster fire.
I knew this was going to happen, he is such a gimmick. He wont be on a NFL roster in 3 years and this will go down as one one of the worst contracts ever

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah but generally the good QB's get extended before their 5th year, or even 4th year.

Either way, the cap is going way up soon and it will only get more expensive. In 2 years when his extension kicks in, it's not gunna look that bad.
Not if this is the best he is. If he never gets better, it's still going to hamstring the franchise for years.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Hard to imagine KM trying to gut out a game on a gimpy ankle TBH.

Why are people bringing up Josh Rosen? That’s really not the alternative. If Tua turns out to be the real deal Kyler could be sitting on the outside of the Top 10 QBs.

The alternative is being on the Trubisky/Brissett/Darnold merry-go-round for a few years.
Realistically, the alternative is to still have KM under team control on his rookie deal.

Reactions: PJ1
OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yes - people acting like we actually had a choice.
There it is, one of the "we didn't have a choice" posters. So, what, those years of team control magically didn't exist? Or the only choice was the choice you wanted us to make? Either way, we clearly had a choice and, IMO, we made the wrong one.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Kyler's future looks very bleak if he is coached by KK for the next 5 years. Kyler is limited as a NFL QB due to his height and lack of mental understanding of the game. He is a very athletic guy with a good arm that really needs to be coached into being a good NFL QB. He also needs to be put into a offense that plays to his strengths and helps him develop and build confidence.

I would say no to the extension of Kyler simply because of who the team has decided to coach him. I'm afraid even if they change the coach in a couple years Kyler will be damaged goods by then.
Whole post is good, but this in particular is an excellent take.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m happy. We played the super bowl
Champs Close. We are missing key players and DHop
Makes a major difference. He is good for atleast 3-4 more first downs on 3rd down. Plus he is a redZone monster. We score today 2 TDs instead of fgs and that game is tied. Damn we were 10-1 last year lol until Injuries hit. Let’s see how the season plays out. 2 undefeated teams in the nfl. Chargers just lost 38-10. Colts who looked awful just beat the Chiefs. We win next week and we are 2-2 and so is everyone else. Go 3-3 before DHop
Comes back and we will Be fine. We have played 2 of our toughest teams already. Chiefs and Rams. Our defense looks better and the offense will start moving. We out gained the Rams. Kyler had 314 yards
These are logical ways of explaining your hope, for sure. But what in Gods name have you seen on the field thus far that leads you to believe that the above is likely to happen?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he still is the same player that’s coaching period! Everyone gets better if they are being taught correctly!

That’s bull players reach a plateau all the time. Even with good coaching. Sure you can learn new wrinkles about offense and defense. Doesn’t mean your play on the field will improve.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can't find the thread which compared Hollywood to Bateman, and how Bateman (after two games) was having a better year. I just want to update it. And, in order to answer the title of THIS thread, I think I'll wait until I can see Kyler play with D Hop and Hollywood. My point being that it is not a good idea to make decisions too early. Although, someone did say that Bateman was good in college.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am not super stoked about how he has played for most of this year, but I am still happy he got an extension. This team's problems run way deeper than Kyler. People in this thread are referencing an UDFA 5'7" receiver who is on his fifth team in three years as one of Kyler's legitimate "weapons." I like Dortch and all, but come on.

Kyler undoubtedly needs to be consistently better to live up to his contract though. As do a lot of people in this organization.
You're not wrong.

Some of Kliff and Kyler's limitations is that we pretty much have catch and fall down guys. Even the play Brit complained about to AJ Green (Just the 2nd passing play of the game). A #2 WR should be capable of winning that back shoulder play with how meh Ramsey played it. Limited catch radius guys, limited YAC guys, and love Ertz but limited leaping guys.

Imo Im more disappointed that Kyler hasnt taken games over with his legs to make up for the limitations outside.

His mobility should be making up for the limitations of the targets. When you get the big contract you gotta put the team on your back more.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can't find the thread which compared Hollywood to Bateman, and how Bateman (after two games) was having a better year. I just want to update it. And, in order to answer the title of THIS thread, I think I'll wait until I can see Kyler play with D Hop and Hollywood. My point being that it is not a good idea to make decisions too early. Although, someone did say that Bateman was good in college.
I will say Bateman's range has been impactful and surprisingly he's been shiftier than Hollywood so far this year.

I'd rather than Bateman than Zaven Collins, lol.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would you rather have Bateman OR Hollywood?
Tough to say as we run different schemes. I mean if Dortch is truly legit and Rondale Moore is truly a player then yea I might take Bateman. Since Im not sure of Dortch or Moore we need Hollywood's raw speed.

I will say last year Cris Carter said on TV that Rashod Bateman had more true #1 potential than Hollywood.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
These are logical ways of explaining your hope, for sure. But what in Gods name have you seen on the field thus far that leads you to believe that the above is likely to happen?
Well other than KC we haven’t played awful. I mean a few plays here and there and we could have beaten the Rams. We have played arguably 2 of the top 5 teams Our schedule gets a little easier. San Fran looks average. Seattle looks avg We need to beat the ones we can for aure

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I said it two years ago and got crapped on and I'll say it again....Murray has a low ceiling. I think Murray's head is just about bumping his ceiling and what we are seeing is about the best it's ever going to get. I became re convinced of this after watching what was almost an instant reply of the playoff throw that resulted in the pick six near the goal line. Once again Murray tossed up a floater for grabs with Donald bearing down on him which this time fell harmlessly to the ground.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sooner Lou, you are someone I often agree with. But to say that it's a tough call between Hollywood and Bateman, then I guess I'm in an argument I can't win. While, I can't predict the future, all I can do is ask you to compare Bateman's and Hollywood's career stats. I don't know what they are, but, I do feel that Hollywood has had a better career.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sooner Lou, you are someone I often agree with. But to say that it's a tough call between Hollywood and Bateman, then I guess I'm in an argument I can't win. While, I can't predict the future, all I can do is ask you to compare Bateman's and Hollywood's career stats. I don't know what they are, but, I do feel that Hollywood has had a better career.
Thanks to a PM I just received, I went into the ESPN site and came away with the following:
Hollywood-219 (receptions); 2612 (yards); 22 (TD's)
Bateman-54/741/3

Although, someone did post that Bateman killed it in college.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler is only as good as his line allows him to be. His line sucked balls yesterday with zero protection. its not all on Kyler.

Several of the great QBs are fantastic under pressure the stats bear that out. It’s been pointed out many times how guys like Mahomes and Rodgers and Brady and Josh Allen perform under pressure. If you want to be great you kinda need to learn to handle it???? He had quite a few clean pockets yesterday it was not complete and constant pressure.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler is only as good as his line allows him to be. His line sucked balls yesterday with zero protection. its not all on Kyler.
We started 7-0 and finished 11-6 last season with essentially the same line. They played well enough for us to win yesterday. Weak sauce to try and blame the line.