What do you need to see from Coach KK this season

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m growing tired of the throwing 30 yard passes on 3rd & 2. Saw too much of that crap with BA (no risk it, no biscuit), and then KK was doing the same thing late last year. That needs to stop. With OL the size of Hernandez & Ford, we need to pound the damn rock with our bigger backs. We now have Conners, Williams & Ingram To make those tough yards. IMO, Ingram is a beast in those situations, even better than Conners on moving the pile.
Yeah...I don't know why Kliff doesn't throw the ball to the underneath routes he has within the play call...(#thisissarcasm)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You can most certainly blame the HC for not moving his WRs around. I don’t buy that being a QB reason at all.
I agree with this and would like to see it as well. A real question I have regarding this is our lack of outside WRs. Can you put Moore/Kirk/Brown outside to be able to move Hopkins into the slot? That doesn't stop him from flipping Green and Hopkins sides but I wonder if that is part of it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Competence down the stretch and (hopefully) into the postseason would be a really nice change from his norm.
But again, I don't know how much of that is the HC. He doesn't control Kyler playing like crap. Some of it is on him as the HC, but as many HCs have said over the years "It's not the X's and the O's but the Jimmys and the Joes."

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m growing tired of the throwing 30 yard passes on 3rd & 2. Saw too much of that crap with BA (no risk it, no biscuit), and then KK was doing the same thing late last year. That needs to stop. With OL the size of Hernandez & Ford, we need to pound the damn rock with our bigger backs. We now have Conners, Williams & Ingram To make those tough yards. IMO, Ingram is a beast in those situations, even better than Conners on moving the pile.

That’s squarely on your mancrush… consistently throughout the season they would show WRs running free for an easy first and your boy takes the long deep pass to a covered WR instead. Sure we could run it too. But much of those first downs were there for the taking.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’s squarely on your mancrush… consistently throughout the season they would show WRs running free for an easy first and your boy takes the long deep pass to a covered WR instead. Sure we could run it too. But much of those first downs were there for the taking.
Not sure what WR’s you saw running free late in the season, but once Hop went down, very few of our WR’s created enough separation to be running free. And it didn’t help that teams defended us significantly different once Hop went down & yet our coaching staff couldn’t adjust. As far as Murray is concerned, not many QB’s showed as much progression on intermediate routes as Murray has from year to year. Can he continue to improve? Of course he can. But in that respect, so can Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, etc, etc.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what WR’s you saw running free late in the season, but once Hop went down, very few of our WR’s created enough separation to be running free. And it didn’t help that teams defended us significantly different once Hop went down & yet our coaching staff couldn’t adjust. As far as Murray is concerned, not many QB’s showed as much progression on intermediate routes as Murray has from year to year. Can he continue to improve? Of course he can. But in that respect, so can Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, etc, etc.
Happened literally all year long. Commentators would constantly comment on it during games. Selective memory.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Happened literally all year long. Commentators would constantly comment on it during games. Selective memory.
Not true. Most of those commentators are morons. I’ve watched film of EVERY game multiple times. Our WR’s couldn’t create separation down the stretch & our IOL was a sieve. Teams knew our weaknesses & took advantage.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not true. Most of those commentators are morons. I’ve watched film of EVERY game multiple times. Our WR’s couldn’t create separation down the stretch & our IOL was a sieve. Teams knew our weaknesses & took advantage.
Regardless, the QB chooses who to deliver the ball to even if the player is not getting optimal separation. Of course, WRs not getting separation isn't on the HC either. Larger point, with how Kyler called the offense in the preseason, you can tell he loves to go deep. You can tell by how Kliff called the offense with Colt, there are plenty of easy underneath routes in most every play call. Kyler makes the choice who to get the ball to on 3rd and 2, not Kliff.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with this and would like to see it as well. A real question I have regarding this is our lack of outside WRs. Can you put Moore/Kirk/Brown outside to be able to move Hopkins into the slot? That doesn't stop him from flipping Green and Hopkins sides but I wonder if that is part of it.

Apparently guys have been moving around much more in camp

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Apparently guys have been moving around much more in camp
I am curious if that has to do with Brown's (potential) ability to play outside. Same goes with Moore. Easier to move guys around if you have several with the ability to play multiple spots. Was my critique of Kirk, drafting Isabella and why I struggle with how Moore has been used so far.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WRs not getting separation isn't on the HC either.
You make their job easier to do that by calling motion & having bit of a running head start. You just don’t sit our limited WRs in one spot & just say “beat this guy straight up” when outside of 6 game suspended Hopkins, we don’t have another WR with the ability to do that.

Hey, I’m with you when some problems belong on Kyler that people like to dish on Kliff, but I feel like you’ve been letting Kliff off the hook a little bit too much.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I'll second the WR screens, especially when teams are squatting on them. Just stop when you see that!
Especially on first and second downs, I pretty much just consider those glorified run plays vs plays to expect someone to break it off and take it to the house.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Less screen passes, better clock and timeout management, and overall just more self confidence and giving off an aura of leadership.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
To run a NFL style offense. Not Kyler’s offense he ran in high school.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You make their job easier to do that by calling motion & having bit of a running head start. You just don’t sit our limited WRs in one spot & just say “beat this guy straight up” when outside of 6 game suspended Hopkins, we don’t have another WR with the ability to do that.

Hey, I’m with you when some problems belong on Kyler that people like to dish on Kliff, but I feel like you’ve been letting Kliff off the hook a little bit too much.
That is a fair critique.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Record-wise, if he can beat 9-8, I’d say he did well with what he has. Technique wise, some creative play design, more realistic 3rd down calls, greatly improved red zone play selection, better play from Murray, efficient 2 minute drives and holding players accountable. See Marmol’s post game comments with the STL Cards.