If this is the roster where do we stand?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns roster is not a finished product.

Right now I feel they are in a holding pattern, which is not a bad thing because they still have the nucleus of last season's roster.

If the Suns don't get Durant, I think the Suns will get involved in a spinoff trade with a team like the Jazz. I've already mentioned a couple of players I like on that team. There are trade options with other teams as well that could help.

Also, they have the MLE available to make an improvement.

We may not see a finished version of the Suns until after the trade deadline and buyouts.

And this is not even taking into account internal improvement on the team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the West is going to be tougher this year.

Minnesota, Nuggets, Pelicans, and Clippers all should be much better.

I can't say I am real optimistic just running it back.

However a couple moves like getting a Clarkson and Toppin would make me way more optimistic. I really find it hard to believe the Suns really think this roster is good enough to pay this much luxury tax on, because odds of it winning a championship as is are slim in my opinion.

It's time to use our picks and maximize the roster in CP3's likely last productive year.
I'm optimistic about running it back but I'm not optimistic about winning it all. I think it's our best chance of winning it all but even if all goes right I wouldn't make us the favorites. So yes, I'd be interested in using our picks to upgrade but I'd pass on Clarkson. He's not great for team chemistry and will cost you more than he helps you.

Toppin would be a decent upgrade if the price is right but even that move probably wouldn't put us in the driver's seat. If our playoffs were a fluke caused by illness and injury, and if CP3 can play all season and postseason the way he did for much of last year, I could easily see us winning it all with just a little growth from Ayton, Bridges and CamJ.

But if last postseason was the result of our weaknesses being exposed and exploited, there are no minor moves that will change our fortune. And I don't think we can afford to lose the pieces that might land us a difference maker. We have a small window, it's dirty and cracked but it's the best we have.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Against the Mavericks I think the Suns had a huge case of what to defend.

They couldn't figure out whether they wanted to defend the cuts to the basket or the three point shot.

When the Suns big men were pulled away from the basket, the Mavericks cut behind them. Can't defend everything. Sometimes a team has to pick their poison.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is correct. Paul is a year older; Book can't get much better, but wasn't good enough to carry the team in the playoffs. McGhee was sporadic but still when not fouling a defensive threat. I don't see Ayton or Cam Johnson as getting to another level.
Ayton can still get better at creating his own shot but most of his improvements have been incremental. Book is not yet in his prime. I think Cam J and even Bridges could get better. Again, those are only going to be incremental improvements.

The biggest issue really is how much better the West is getting overall. IMO, some teams have made high impact changes to their teams while the Suns have lost McGee and Frank. We get Dario back and signed some guys to round out the roster. However, none of that counters IMO some of the moves made in the West.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not sure the Suns first round picks are worth anything. If the Suns can hit the open three they kill everybody.............

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure the Suns first round picks are worth anything. If the Suns can hit the open three they kill everybody.............
The problem with this is they just don’t really have a lot of knockdown 3 point shooters. Cam J is their only true blue bullseye long distance shooter. Bridges is a good shooter (who has confidence issues), last year was Book’s first season where he was a legit good 3 point shooter and the rest of the team are average at best.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with this is they just don’t really have a lot of knockdown 3 point shooters. Cam J is their only true blue bullseye long distance shooter. Bridges is a good shooter (who has confidence issues), last year was Book’s first season where he was a legit good 3 point shooter and the rest of the team are average at best.

Adding Durant would solve so many problems. He would help in regard to shooting, rebounding and assists.

If the Suns aren't so fortunate, adding a guard that can shoot and distribute might be the second best option.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns roster is not a finished product.

Right now I feel they are in a holding pattern, which is not a bad thing because they still have the nucleus of last season's roster.

If the Suns don't get Durant, I think the Suns will get involved in a spinoff trade with a team like the Jazz. I've already mentioned a couple of players I like on that team. There are trade options with other teams as well that could help.

Also, they have the MLE available to make an improvement.

We may not see a finished version of the Suns until after the trade deadline and buyouts.

And this is not even taking into account internal improvement on the team.

Barring a Durant deal, I think this will be the roster on opening night.

If the team comes out of the gate and the funk from the playoffs is still there I think they will get very active, but until then I think they will wait and see where the leaks form.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barring a Durant deal, I think this will be the roster on opening night.

If the team comes out of the gate and the funk from the playoffs is still there I think they will get very active, but until then I think they will wait and see where the leaks form.

I agree, the Suns will probably wait unless they get a trade to their liking. A spinoff trade could offer some intriguing options.

If they start well, Phoenix may keep the 15th roster spot open until the trade deadline or buyouts.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, the Suns will probably wait unless they get a trade to their liking. A spinoff trade could offer some intriguing options.

If they start well, Phoenix may keep the 15th roster spot open until the trade deadline or buyouts.
I don't think there is anyway Crowder is on the team at the start of the season.

That is at least one trade that will happen before the season begins.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose