Dogs and gardening

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have dogs and gardens? Curious to see your setup to keep the dog from jumping into the garden and eating or having a nap right on top of your freshly planted jalapeno bush.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have dogs and gardens? Curious to see your setup to keep the dog from jumping into the garden and eating or having a nap right on top of your freshly planted jalapeno bush.
We started our first garden this year in Colorado. We only have a really small dog though that won't bother it , so I'm not much help there.

How big/obnoxious are your dogs? Most of the people here use wire mesh enclosure to keep out unwanted critters like rabbits/squrrels etc. but I guess it would be the same for dogs.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We started our first garden this year in Colorado. We only have a really small dog though that won't bother it , so I'm not much help there.

How big/obnoxious are your dogs? Most of the people here use wire mesh enclosure to keep out unwanted critters like rabbits/squrrels etc. but I guess it would be the same for dogs.
Two are young, one likes to eat things and the other likes to dig. I have some ideas for it, but just looking for inspiration probably. If I just fence the planters in, it becomes hard to get to the plant but I need the fence high enough to keep a coonhound from hopping over it to dig.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two are young, one likes to eat things and the other likes to dig. I have some ideas for it, but just looking for inspiration probably. If I just fence the planters in, it becomes hard to get to the plant but I need the fence high enough to keep a coonhound from hopping over it to dig.

Most of the solutions I've seen usually end up with chain link and a gate. That soft dirt is just too appealing to resist!

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the solutions I've seen usually end up with chain link and a gate. That soft dirt is just too appealing to resist!
I'm using raised planters for most of it so I might use 1x2's, chicken wire and cut my own gate.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Depends on how you what you are thinking of growing.

Food - I'd start by considering above ground planters, the higher off of the ground the better. You could use cinder blocks instead of just dirt to keep costs and work down. Depending on the size, you have to be really careful at the weight of the dirt. We bought an above ground one that wasn't very sturdy and planted edamame in it. The entire thing came crashing down.

Chain link and a gate also is a pretty good idea, since you will want easy access in and out.

We have more squash and zucchini, than we know what to do with. We will likely be donating lots of it to charity. If you plan on growing these, you only need one plant of each. They will keep growing and growing.

Attachments

• 0A419C9D-8049-4BCC-93DA-F37D09FC3AF6.jpeg
    0A419C9D-8049-4BCC-93DA-F37D09FC3AF6.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are my raised planters. The problem is, they jump onto them to patrol the yard, so I'll be building an additional layer on the inside of the planter wall that need to be tall enough they wont try to leap over it to bark at birds and whatnot

You must be registered for see images attach

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are my raised planters. The problem is, they jump onto them to patrol the yard, so I'll be building an additional layer on the inside of the planter wall that need to be tall enough they wont try to leap over it to bark at birds and whatnot

You must be registered for see images attach
Along the back wall I assume...

What about using more of those spiked fencing that you have on the side of the yard, on gate type hinges?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the fence would be along the front wall of the planter, so, like, the pool fence and the dog fence would surround the food.

That spiked fencing is quite fancy lol...I'll probably do something much cheaper

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the fence would be along the front wall of the planter, so, like, the pool fence and the dog fence would surround the food.

That spiked fencing is quite fancy lol...I'll probably do something much cheaper
Indeed, definitely a more expensive option. Chicken wire is very flimsy. Are you trying to build a chicken wire roof as well that attaches to the brick wall?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed, definitely a more expensive option. Chicken wire is very flimsy. Are you trying to build a chicken wire roof as well that attaches to the brick wall?
I mostly just want to keep dogs out, so, no roof. Plus, I'm 6'5 so a ceiling would make things interesting when it comes to pruning, harvesting, etc.

I'm thinking maybe chicken wire stapled to 1x2s wouldnt be flimsy at all.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mostly just want to keep dogs out, so, no roof. Plus, I'm 6'5 so a ceiling would make things interesting when it comes to pruning, harvesting, etc.

I'm thinking maybe chicken wire stapled to 1x2s wouldnt be flimsy at all.
The bottom won't be flimsy. The top will sway and buckle if it isn't stabilized... unless you already had a plan for it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not yet :) that's where I was hoping someone had something similar
I'd consider 1x1 or 1x2s across the top as well, bracing it every 8-10ft using a vertical piece of wood as well. Have you considered what type of mechanism you will use to get access to the garden? You could use something like eyehooks and connect the chicken wire that way and roll it back when you want to get in there.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd consider 1x1 or 1x2s across the top as well, bracing it every 8-10ft using a vertical piece of wood as well. Have you considered what type of mechanism you will use to get access to the garden? You could use something like eyehooks and connect the chicken wire that way and roll it back when you want to get in there.
I was thinking a boxed design of wood, maybe 4 feet tall and a veritcle 1x2 maybe every 18 inches with horizontal 1x2 along the top and the bottom but no room. Then I was thinking maybe making every other section a "gate" vs just fence so I can get up in there. The thing I did not consider is going from the fence to the wall or etc and that will probably be neccessary just for stability unless the dirt itself will hold it in place. The gate should be at least 1 ft underground if I try to use the dirt to secure it. The only problem there is I am not sure if 3 ft height would 100% deter a dog from jumping it.

It would be real nice if I didnt have to make a damn fence lol

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking a boxed design of wood, maybe 4 feet tall and a veritcle 1x2 maybe every 18 inches with horizontal 1x2 along the top and the bottom but no room. Then I was thinking maybe making every other section a "gate" vs just fence so I can get up in there. The thing I did not consider is going from the fence to the wall or etc and that will probably be neccessary just for stability unless the dirt itself will hold it in place. The gate should be at least 1 ft underground if I try to use the dirt to secure it. The only problem there is I am not sure if 3 ft height would 100% deter a dog from jumping it.

It would be real nice if I didnt have to make a damn fence lol
3-4 feet I would think would be plenty, since it already seems about 2ft off of the ground already.

For stability, you could just put in a 1x2 section that goes along the top, to the back brick wall every 8-10 feet. It will still be plenty stable, unless someone is trying to stand on the top or whatever.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3-4 feet I would think would be plenty, since it already seems about 2ft off of the ground already.

For stability, you could just put in a 1x2 section that goes along the top, to the back brick wall every 8-10 feet. It will still be plenty stable, unless someone is trying to stand on the top or whatever.
The problem with off the ground is they jump up onto those bricks already, so, unless the fence was on the bricks themselves, they can jump onto the bricks and then jump again.

the problem has become far less. When I first moved in, I had to repair the drip lines a few times from getting ripped out of the ground by playing pups.

I think that 1x2 solution to the wall/blue pool fence can be a solution though and maybe the wire fence works. It's not ideal but its not the most amount of work, seems fairly easy and inexpensive vs buying prefabbed fencing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you build the chicken wire enclosure at the very front of the bricks towards the grass, they won't be able to jump on the bricks at all, because the wire will be in the way.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you build the chicken wire enclosure at the very front of the bricks towards the grass, they won't be able to jump on the bricks at all, because the wire will be in the way.
yeah I have thought about it being against the ground, instead of in the planter. That is even uglier, but, if it does not impeded a sprinkler, it may be what I need to do. It would also allow me easier access to the plants instead of another 3ft level on top of the 3-4ft planters

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I have thought about it being against the ground, instead of in the planter. That is even uglier, but, if it does not impeded a sprinkler, it may be what I need to do. It would also allow me easier access to the plants instead of another 3ft level on top of the 3-4ft planters
yeah, don't do it against the ground. Just run a horizontal 2x2 across the entire front of the planter brick, and secure it to the brick with liquid nails or even archor bolts.

Then staple the chicken wire to the side of the 2x2 going vertically up.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, don't do it against the ground. Just run a horizontal 2x2 across the entire front of the planter brick, and secure it to the brick with liquid nails or even archor bolts.

Then staple the chicken wire to the side of the 2x2 going vertically up.
That is an ugly, but, interesting thought that I might use.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is an ugly, but, interesting thought that I might use.
It is hard to tell from your picture, but it looks like the brick steps where the dogs jump onto might have a lip on it.

If it does, you can attach the wood underneath and then attach the chicken wire to that. Won't look nearly as tacky.