The Ayton Plan

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Athletic had an interesting article about Houston getting in on the Durant trade as a landing place for Ayton. They own Brooklyn's picks also because of the Harden trade, which would allow Brooklyn to properly tank rather than depend on someone else's 1st rounders.

Houston did move Wood and has an opening at Center. They also are poised to have $70+ million in cap space next year. Adding Ayton eats into that but he's likely better than anyone they'd add next summer plus they'd still have max space to offer someone else next summer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the relationship with Monty and ownership has him ready to move on and anything less than max is only going to increase his desire to leave.

It's hard to say what he will get on open market, one of the reasons teams may not want to offer him max is because it would do PHX a favor in locking him into 4 year deal which they would match rather than lose him for nothing. If Ayton was an UFA right now, I don't think he would still be available.

BRK not wanting him may be posturing to get more out of a potential Durant deal, plus who really knows what BRK wants?
Of course he wouldn't be available if he was unrestricted. That doesn't mean he would get a max deal though. Not sure what is going on behind the scenes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If we could somehow flip Ayton for Turner and 2 firsts… I’d be good with sending Bridges and 5 million firsts for KD.

CP3
Booker
Cam J
Durant
Turner

Cam Payne
Dario
Shamet
Biz
Whoever the hell else they could sign

That’s a team with a shot at the title. It’s also very long and athletic up front.

That’s also a team that would take a little while to figure itself out which would prob have the entire board in a tizzy for the first twenty games.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we could somehow flip Ayton for Turner and 2 firsts… I’d be good with sending Bridges and 5 million firsts for KD.

CP3
Booker
Cam J
Durant
Turner

Cam Payne
Dario
Shamet
Biz
Whoever the hell else they could sign

That’s a team with a shot at the title. It’s also very long and athletic up front.

That’s also a team that would take a little while to figure itself out which would prob have the entire board in a tizzy for the first twenty games.

An offer sheet means the Pacers call the Suns bluff and no sign and trade. If we match that puts us on equal footing as Miami in that we could not trade our center (Ayton/Bam) in a package for Durant. We'd still have more pick inventory.

I can't stand to think of Indy with a front line of Ayton and Stix and of course Haliburton at the point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An offer sheet means the Pacers call the Suns bluff and no sign and trade. If we match that puts us on equal footing as Miami in that we could not trade our center (Ayton/Bam) in a package for Durant. We'd still have more pick inventory.

I can't stand to think of Indy with a front line of Ayton and Stix and of course Haliburton at the point.
I’m aware but Gambo might have meant that the Suns and Pacers were talking deal.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Of course he wouldn't be available if he was unrestricted. That doesn't mean he would get a max deal though. Not sure what is going on behind the scenes.
My point is he will not get an offer or even a max offer because PHX will match it. If he was an UFA he may not get max but he would definitely get more than Bagley and probably around what JJJ got.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It would make no sense for Indiana to sign Ayton to an offer sheet. Suns will literally match it and trade him later.
Additionally, Indiana is notorious for being cheap. I am 99% certain they only maxed out Paul George in the past 15-20 years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree. If Ayton signs an offer sheet, I believe a sign-and-trade is off the table.

The Suns would have to match if they are to keep him and trade him later.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Pacers sign Ayton to an offer sheet and the Suns didn't match, this would be one of the quickest rebuilds I've seen with a huge thank you to Phoenix.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am moving this discussion to this thread where it belongs

Ayton's value is clearly depressed and I believe this article is why

"Why Phoenix Suns star Deandre Ayton can't live without video games" https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33898958/deandre-ayton-phoenix-suns-video-games?platform=amp

Two hours of sleep frequently even on game days. Says he can't live without video games. Plays after breakfast. Plays after practice. Plays after games. The Sun's even built him a gigantic video game room in the stadium. Is the only active NBA player to reach Legend status because of the amount of hours you have to play. Playoff game tomorrow? Don't care need to game

I am convinced this article cost Ayton money and really impacted his value in a trade. He should be worth more than Gobert but that isn't happening

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes two to tango. The Pacers can make an offer sheet but Ayton has to sign it for it to be effective.

Let's hope Ayton and the Suns are on the same page and either work a deal or do a sign-and-trade to a franchise that will give the Suns value in return.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am moving this discussion to this thread where it belongs

Ayton's value is clearly depressed and I believe this article is why

"Why Phoenix Suns star Deandre Ayton can't live without video games" https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33898958/deandre-ayton-phoenix-suns-video-games?platform=amp

Two hours of sleep frequently even on game days. Says he can't live without video games. Plays after breakfast. Plays after practice. Plays after games. The Sun's even built him a gigantic video game room in the stadium. Is the only active NBA player to reach Legend status because of the amount of hours you have to play. Playoff game tomorrow? Don't care need to game

I am convinced this article cost Ayton money and really impacted his value in a trade. He should be worth more than Gobert but that isn't happening
His baby mama must be understanding… I pretty much had to give up video games once the kiddo came

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we end up with Turner, that would be a disaster. We better get Smith back in deal as well.

Jalen Smith already signed a 3 year contract with the Pacers. There may be a waiting period before he can be traded.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think he meant Murray was on steroids, just that the concerns are similar but even bigger with DA.

My concern is bigger with Murray.

The problem with DA is he’s very good not great when he has the talent to be great

Murray has just completely fallen off like I’ve never seen the last two years. It’s just so odd to me. It’s one thing to play bad or have a bad game but it’s like at the 10 game mark he’s just done.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s December I could be wrong

It could be. I haven't checked it out. Smith's signing is big news for the Pacers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose