Would you pay Kyler 45 mil if this is (basically) his peak?

Are you paying Kyler Murray 45 mil for the production listed below?

• Total voters

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exact same thing was said about Stafford until he won the SB this year. 13 years in.

Kyler doesn't get the same level of support, because he is small... or he is introverted... or because he is black, something.
He's kind of like the Tiger Woods of football. He sees his heritage as multicultural and not simply black. Even wrote papers about it in high school - enough to be mentioned by reporters in articles about him back in the day:

Kyler Murray dishes about his dodgeball, The Streak, and being a road warrior

You must be registered for see images attach

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's kind of like the Tiger Woods of football. He sees his heritage as multicultural and not simply black. Even wrote papers about it in high school - enough to be mentioned by reporters in articles about him back in the day:

Kyler Murray dishes about his dodgeball, The Streak, and being a road warrior

You must be registered for see images attach
Of course he is. That is not how the media (and I'd argue most fans) sees him though. Did they see Colin Kaepernick as mixed race?

btw, this is coming from someone who is mixed race himself.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course he is. That is not how the media (and I'd argue most fans) sees him though. Did they see Colin Kaepernick as mixed race?

btw, this is coming from someone who is mixed race himself.
Maybe not nationally but it's been discussed enough when Kyler was in Texas (high school and college) and here locally when he was drafted, etc. I am sure wherever these players go it comes up when people look into their past, upbringing, etc. Some players make it a big deal and others don't care. It was a big deal to Tiger because calling him black completely excluded his mother (and the rest of his father's heritage).

I remember Colin talking about tracing his roots before because of his biological father's connections to Ghana, but his biological mother's heritage is Bohemian Czech and Irish. And, of course, the media was all over the fact that he was raised by "white parents" that adopted him.

Much smaller scale, but I am exactly 4 quarters myself - German, Norwegian, Scottish, and Irish from my four sets of grandparents, but most hear my last name and say "You must be German?" Not a big deal, but growing up I always felt like that was excluding 3/4 of what makes me who I am. Probably why I focus on a person's heritage more than most that look at someone and just say they are white, black, Asian, etc.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm not talking about his first 3 seasons, I'm talking about his first 12.

It's really going to be a hard sell for people to say "Just hang in there for the next decade and maybe once we trade him Kyler will win a Super Bowl." Stafford didn't win a Super Bowl because he suddenly made a leap as a professional quarterback; he made the leap because his situation fundamentally changed. Kyler's situation is not going to fundamentally change for at least the next 3-5 years.

Of course not.

However, I'd wager that most of the people that feel the way you do now, felt this way from pretty much the beginning. Kyler has gotten the shortest leash of any QB in recent memory.

LOL Josh Rosen much?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bottom line is, the team will extend him this offseason, and I think it's a mistake because it's a year too early for him and we have him under team control. Some on this board agree, many don't, and it doesn't much matter because this regime will get him signed.
We extended coach and GM, they are tied to Kyler.

Kyler is getting resigned.

Question is do you want to pay him a lot now or a lot more later?

They aren't waiting to see "one more year." Three years is plenty to make a decision whether you agree or not. Extending him now is one of the few things Keim could get right.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really going to be a hard sell for people to say "Just hang in there for the next decade and maybe once we trade him Kyler will win a Super Bowl." Stafford didn't win a Super Bowl because he suddenly made a leap as a professional quarterback; he made the leap because his situation fundamentally changed. Kyler's situation is not going to fundamentally change for at least the next 3-5 years.

LOL Josh Rosen much?
If that's what you got from my post, there isn't much more to say.

... and I meant by the fans in regards to the QB. Moving on from Rosen was a change in leadership, not fan support.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Of course not.

However, I'd wager that most of the people that feel the way you do now, felt this way from pretty much the beginning. Kyler has gotten the shortest leash of any QB in recent memory.
I can't speak for others. I went from supporting the Rosen one and thinking it ridiculous to draft a QB, to doubting KM as the #1 overall, to supporting him as our QB, to riding the ups and downs with him. The ups are huge, but the downs are equally as big. If he can eliminate, or even substantially reduce, the downs, he'll be a top QB. Whether or not he wins the big one, he'll definitely be worth it, because that would at least give us a shot. If he can't at least minimize the downs, he's not going to be worth a damn thing.

I like his explosiveness, now I need consistency. I like his playmaking, now I need injury avoidance. Yes, he'll get his deal. Then we'll see if his attitude and approach improves. Then we'll see if he can win anything at all of significance.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking 45 is going to be avg QB pay soon, so unless it's a fresh rookie deal QB, we'll be paying +/- that soon enough for someone else.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I voted to pay him. He still have to play out the next two years, so an extension is in line in my opinion

Correct me if wrong, but aren't we substituting the year 5 option ($29m+) for year one of the new deal, say $45m?

That's the read I get from the Allen contract structure with Buffalo.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What was the last NFL franchise that was ruined by an albatross contract? Goff was traded. Wentz has been traded twice. Even Brock Osweiller was offloaded for a second round pick. I can think of plenty of incidents with albatross contracts severely hurting franchises in other sports, but not in the modern day NFL.

I personally think Kyler will earn his contract, but if he doesn't, the worst case scenario seems to be getting way overblown.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Imo they should have looked closely at mahomes contract.

I would have stretched kyler out for 10 years...at around 46 per...
But have 35m per year as a roster bonus due on the first day of the league year. Counts as guaranteed money....but allows the team to cut bait if it just aint working out.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Correct me if wrong, but aren't we substituting the year 5 option ($29m+) for year one of the new deal, say $45m?

That's the read I get from the Allen contract structure with Buffalo.
Not sure I know Allen signed a 6 year extension and he said he had 8 more years with the bills so I took that to mean he has to play out his 5th year option. I mean they could put part of his signing bonus on top of that to help cap relief in later years. So I could be wrong but that's the way I took it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Only posting this because it’s Kyler related
I usually expect the athlete to be in the wrong in these things but I think she’s out to lunch. She seems to seek beef. Wants to be mad. And she called him petite and wants to say he disrespected her? Cmon now.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I usually expect the athlete to be in the wrong in these things but I think she’s out to lunch. She seems to seek beef. Wants to be mad. And she called him petite and wants to say he disrespected her? Cmon now.
Agreed, she came out of the gate angry with a chip on her shoulder and I didn't hear anything Kyler did that was out of line, trying to get her 15 min I suppose

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This shouldn't even be a conversation. You have to pay him at this point. If you weren't going to pay him, he should have already been traded.

I wish the Suns had figured this out last summer with Deandre Ayton. Pay the man.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
No it doesn't. Kyler not improving is still a top 10 QB. In no shape or form is that the Titanic. I know you expect a lot from Kyler.

This just feels like maybe your emotions are clouding your judgment.

Kyler was nowhere close to being a top 10 QB during the second half of season after he returned from injury. That stretch included embarrassing losses(Detroit) and one of the worst playoff performances in history. The only impressive game he played during that time was against Dallas.

I still don't understand how we went from winning 2 out of 3 with Colt McCoy to being one of the worst teams in the league when our star QB returned.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I had a very specific dream last night.

Kyler accepted a deal with this structure.
8 years
320mm (40mm aav) with escalators up to 350mm (43.75). Puts him in the Stafford, Carr, Prescott area for aav.
235mm guaranteed. Basically the 1st 6 years of the deal.

We got a workable yearly number. He got the largest guarantee in NFL history.

I'm hopeful.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

8 years
320mm (40mm aav) with escalators up to 350mm (43.75). Puts him in the Stafford, Carr, Prescott area for aav.

I'm hopeful.
On the surface that looks fine but what if Kyler wants generational money whereas his relations can buy a small island, like say Puerto Rico... you need to be more realistic Indy :sarcasm:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

8 years

I'm hopeful.
Kyler is not going to last 8 years, or 7 or 6 etc...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean… deep down, we all know what’s gonna happen here.

Kyler will sign this huge money deal with a boatload of guaranteed money… and then Rosenbach his knee in the second practice of pre-season, forever destroying his career.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose