The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Zion getting this type of extension is what irritates the Ayton camp. Zion has only played 85 games in three seasons.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
But he's AGGRESSIVE. He actually does DOMINATE. (In the little time he's actually on the court.)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Zion getting this type of extension is what irritates the Ayton camp. Zion has only played 85 games in three seasons.

I get it but to be fair Zion was/is projected to be a generational player. Ayton isn’t. So, I put some of that on Ayton’s camp.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he though? After 3 years you’d think he should at least earn that label.
I am not claiming there is any validity to it but it’s clear expectations were way apart for each player.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Is he though? After 3 years you’d think he should at least earn that label.
When he plays, he does. But as we discussed, that's his big issue. Can he keep his weight and health under control? He hasn't shown it so far.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it but to be fair Zion was/is projected to be a generational player. Ayton isn’t. So, I put some of that on Ayton’s camp.

That's the point. Zion is being paid on projection. Why wasn't a then 22 year old Ayton?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

The Pelicans are risking a lot of money but it’s an easier risk to when that player has MVP upside. Ayton is a high end role and isn’t single handedly putting butts in the seats.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah he is. Best finisher in the paint ever.

They would be talking about him being the best player in the league by now if he had been healthy his whole career.
Oh my god. According to what evidence? He hasn’t played enough to earn any label, let alone “Best finisher in the paint ever.”

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the point. Zion is being paid on projection. Why wasn't a then 22 year old Ayton?
I don’t recall anybody claiming that Ayton would ever be a generational player. Not even when he was drafted. There was some comparisons to other bigs but that’s it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pelicans are risking a lot of money but it’s an easier risk to when that player has MVP upside. Ayton is a high end role and isn’t single handedly putting butts in the seats.

So which player would you want today without money being a consideration? I'd still choose Ayton.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So which player would you want today without money being a consideration? I'd still choose Ayton.
Are you taking the entire NBA regardless of current contract status? I could easily make a list.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t recall anybody claiming that Ayton would ever be a generational player. Not even when he was drafted. There was some comparisons to other bigs but that’s it.

Doncic wasn't projected a general player either, at least considering where he was drafted.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doncic wasn't projected a general player either, at least considering where he was drafted.
Many had him over Ayton in their draft boards. However, I wasn’t talking about Doncic. I am saying I don’t recall anybody saying Ayton was going to a generational player which is why there was debate on who should be drafted first.