Suns had a COVID Outbreak in the Playoffs

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They purposely changed the policy because they did not want to risk the competitiveness of the product due to what amounts to cold symptoms for players and coaches who are all vaxxed and at very little risk.
And screw anyone else they come in contact with, right?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
excellent, Cheese. you and Finito are learning. there are things we can observe and take from the games that are more important than the game itself. and character is more important than winning or losing. for players and fans.

please do find and support a team that is more ethical. and let me know because i should to. But it can't be the Pelicans, because the Suns may have gotten covid from their lax protocol. And not the Mavs, because Doncic could have passed it to the Warriors. hey, maybe we should root for the Warriors? Curry and Steve Kerr are very socially conscience? so is Lebron. Lakers?

now, that having been said -- "worst than choking" in NOT choking, is it? the Suns have been achievers, not "chokers" the last 2 seasons!
They also started getting their asses WHIPPED before Game 7. Or did you sleep thru Game 3, 4 and 6?

And now instead of chokers, they’re just pieces of crap who decided putting others lives at risk because of a game.

If you think for a second this gets me to think better of the Suns for some reason, you’re wrong. This makes me feel worse.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
And now instead of chokers, they’re just pieces of crap who decided putting others lives at risk because of a game.

If you think for a second this gets me to think better of the Suns for some reason, you’re wrong. This makes me feel worse.
Don’t take this wrong, but if you thought that teams and players were being 100% upfront when it came to how bad they had to feel before getting tested before this article came out, then you were just fooling yourself.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm really just not buying Covid is the reason they sucked in the last 2 games - at least it was not the only reason.

It was obvious from CP3's attitude and the Ayton Monty stuff there was more internal bickering going on that we have been told.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, the Suns did not put out this story.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t take this wrong, but if you thought that teams and players were being 100% upfront when it came to how bad they had to feel before getting tested before this article came out, then you were just fooling yourself.
I didn’t but apparently it wasn’t much of a secret as the reporting was the team knew there was a franchise wide outbreak and apparently, they still did nothing. And that’s crap.

JerkFace

Reaction score
I didn’t but apparently it wasn’t much of a secret as the reporting was the team knew there was a franchise wide outbreak and apparently, they still did nothing. And that’s crap.
I hear ya, but keep in mind, the team (I assume we are talking about the franchise heads) can make the coaches and asst coaches get tested, but they can’t require the players to get tested.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And screw anyone else they come in contact with, right?

It's the reality of the endemic status of the virus whether you want to accept it or not. With the transmission rate of Omicron, it's likely teams would not have had enough players to dress for some games had the NBA stuck with the previous rules despite the vast majority of player and personnel being vaccinated. As the NBA approached the playoffs, they weighed the risks and benefits and opted for the current policy that allowed for the possibility of players to play while infected. People understand the risk and act accordingly.

That's the last that I will say on the topic in this forum.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They also started getting their asses WHIPPED before Game 7. Or did you sleep thru Game 3, 4 and 6?

i don't want you to "think better of the Suns"
i just wish you'd think better, period

for example, you keep trying to make Paul look like a quitter by mentioning his depressing interview before game 7, when it should have been obvious that it was just the opposite. he cared so much and worked so hard but at that time knew something we didn't. that the team was in trouble and his dream was in jeopardy again.

and what did he say when it did end? not, it's time to quit. it's "time to get back to work for next season"

regarding covid protocol. i hope they investigate and punish the Suns and any other team that didn't follow the letter AND spirit of the rules

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But why? Why did it tear apart chemistry?

Hmm...

CP3 and Monty had some sort of disagreement after Game 6.

Monty and Ayton had a dustup in Game 7 where Monty accused him of quitting.

Hypothetical:

A key player (confirmed) and probably more is feeling poor and the Suns feel it is COVID, especially after Game 5. The player is Ayton.

Monty says we should test, isolate and play our best. We can't risk further exposure. We can play our two centers and go with it.

CP3 disagrees and says we need to suck it up and play for a championship. He is hurt with a hip and he is playing so if you aren't feeling well you get through it.

Ultimately CP3 wins this argument and guys play rather than test. The mood is grim though. The coach didn't stand up to CP3 and now staff members are sick. Coworkers and friends are getting ill.

Game starts and Monty sees guys that haven't been feeling well aren't performing like they should. Ayton, in particular, is showing little effort. Ayton feels like he can't give 100% so he doesn't. Monty says he quit.

Rather than own how we ended up here, Monty says "It's Internal" and they all go media dark.

And that is how a locker room is tore apart.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't want you to "think better of the Suns"
i just wish you'd think better, period

for example, you keep trying to make Paul look like a quitter by mentioning his depressing interview before game 7, when it should have been obvious that it was just the opposite. he cared so much and worked so hard but at that time knew something we didn't. that the team was in trouble and his dream was in jeopardy again.

and what did he say when it did end? not, it's time to quit. it's "time to get back to work for next season"

regarding covid protocol. i hope they investigate and punish the Suns and any other team that didn't follow the letter AND spirit of the rules
I actually haven’t said A WORD about Paul’s interview. But keep lobbing the insults and throwing BS lies out there about what I’ve said because you want to pick a fight for some reason.

I ain’t playing.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

no, i did not "sleep through the game 3, 4, and 6 losses"
or through the game 1,2, and 5 wins
or the 4 wins the prior series with Booker out most of them

nor did i nap during all those clutch wins during their record breaking 64 win season?

our hearts are all broken
the difference is that some deal with it by attacking the source of the pain
while others can still embrace the pleasure of the journey

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either you haven’t had a mild case of Covid or don’t know anyone that did. This thing has degrees. It ran the full spectrum in our house. Youngest had no symptoms, older child had a few, I had minor ones that differed from my boy, and my girl was dog sick. Pretty sure I could’ve played basketball when I had it. Kids definitely could have.
Youngest felt fine. Wife had really bad sour throat and fever for days. My oldest felt like major crap for two days. I felt like crap for about a week and still have not shaken the Covid cough (5 days short of a month later). I know myself, the wife and my son definitely could not have...at least with any effectiveness. If definitely has degrees. It sucks.

Having said that, it might explain Game 7 but not the utter inconsistency prior to it.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hmm...

Hypothetical:

A key player (confirmed) and probably more is feeling poor and the Suns feel it is COVID, especially after Game 5. The player is Ayton.

Monty says we should test, isolate and play our best. We can't risk further exposure. We can play our two centers and go with it.

CP3 disagrees and says we need to suck it up and play for a championship. He is hurt with a hip and he is playing so if you aren't feeling well you get through it.

Ultimately CP3 wins this argument and guys play rather than test. The mood is grim though. The coach didn't stand up to CP3 and now staff members are sick. Coworkers and friends are getting ill.

Game starts and Monty sees guys that haven't been feeling well aren't performing like they should. Ayton, in particular, is showing little effort. Ayton feels like he can't give 100% so he doesn't. Monty says he quit.

Rather than own how we ended up here, Monty says "It's Internal" and they all go media dark.

With up to the point where monty knows Ayton is sick and yells him he quit. That’s not Monty.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With up to the point where monty knows Ayton is sick and yells him he quit. That’s not Monty.

Alternate story is CP3 is the sick person and insists on playing through. Monty wants him to sit. Monty loses the argument. Ayton's pissed he is risking his family playing with sick CP3 and gives less effort. Monty says he quit. Everything internal

There are several ways it can play out and get the same results. Based on the 5 main things we know you see a locker room fracture quickly and the only known denominator right now is a bunch of sick people

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
excellent, Cheese. you and Finito are learning. there are things we can observe and take from the games that are more important than the game itself. and character is more important than winning or losing. for players and fans.

please do find and support a team that is more ethical. and let me know because i should to. But it can't be the Pelicans, because the Suns may have gotten covid from their lax protocol. And not the Mavs, because Doncic could have passed it to the Warriors. hey, maybe we should root for the Warriors? Curry and Steve Kerr are very socially conscience? so is Lebron. Lakers?

now, that having been said -- "worst than choking" is NOT choking, is it? the Suns have been achievers, not "chokers" the last 2 seasons!

Don’t put me into this.

I’m over it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm...

Hypothetical:

Bickley was saying Paul and Monty weren’t getting along going back towards the end of the season.

This didn’t happen over night. In my opinion

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alternate story is CP3 is the sick person and insists on playing through. Monty wants him to sit. Monty loses the argument. Ayton's pissed he is risking his family playing with sick CP3 and gives less effort. Monty says he quit. Everything internal

There are several ways it can play out and get the same results. Based on the 5 main things we know you see a locker room fracture quickly and the only known denominator right now is a bunch of sick people
This I kinda buy more than Ayton is sick. If Monty is bashing a Covid sick Ayton for “quitting” on the team and they knew he was playing thru Covid, Monty is just a grade A *******. That doesn’t seem to wash.

JerkFace

Reaction score
This I kinda buy more than Ayton is sick. If Monty is bashing a Covid sick Ayton for “quitting” on the team and they knew he was playing thru Covid, Monty is just a grade A *******. That doesn’t seem to wash.
Bickley is saying that he heard that Paul is the player that tested positive for Covid the day after game 7. But of course, that doesn’t mean that other players weren’t sick and just never “officially” tested.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bickley is saying that he heard that Paul is the player that tested positive for Covid the day after game 7. But of course, that doesn’t mean that other players weren’t sick and just never “officially” tested.

Oh yeah, the day after Game 7. I don't buy that at all.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I’ve seen the nicest guys, guys you would never think blow up in pressure situations.

Usually you talk after and just be like my bad. I’d be shocked if Monty hasn’t talked with everyone on the team because he was far from perfect in the playoffs to.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why not? If he thought he had it, he'd avoid getting tested, because a positive result would jeopardize his ability to play. Once his season was over, he had nothing to lose in getting tested.

I don't buy that he didn't know he had it. I imagine he unofficially tested.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Gambo was saying he talked to multiple teams. Evidently, the League went completely soft on Covid testing. It basically became a 100% honor system. So, if a player wasn't feeling well (he had flu like systems). If a player wasn't feeling well...he simply didn't tell the trainer. In essence, the League put the playoffs first. The Suns were evidently not the only team throughout the playoffs to take advantage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose