Kyler Needs to Be a More Efficient Runner in 2022

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
People are looking everywhere for how Kyler needs to become a better passer to take the next step forward. Me, too. But if you look at the data, it's really hard to say there is a lot of margin for improvement.

Where there is a ton of margin for improvement for Kyler in 2022 is as a runner. He was 42nd in rushing DYAR among QBs — 20 spots below Colt McCoy. Only 28.4% of Kyler's rushes resulted in a first down or touchdown last year. In 2020 he converted on 39.8% of his rushing attempts.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
People are looking everywhere for how Kyler needs to become a better passer to take the next step forward. Me, too. But if you look at the data, it's really hard to say there is a lot of margin for improvement.

Where there is a ton of margin for improvement for Kyler in 2022 is as a runner. He was 42nd in rushing DYAR among QBs — 20 spots below Colt McCoy. Only 28.4% of Kyler's rushes resulted in a first down or touchdown last year. In 2020 he converted on 39.8% of his rushing attempts.
If you look at the games, it's really easy to see. And, actually, looking at the data too. How many sack yards did he yield, for instance? And how many of them were 100 percent on him? There were significant amounts. That's just one example.

I agree completely with your second point.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you look at the games, it's really easy to see. And, actually, looking at the data too. How many sack yards did he yield, for instance? And how many of them were 100 percent on him? There were significant amounts. That's just one example.

I agree completely with your second point.
That's fair. He was 4th in sack yardage (286) despite missing three games. (Aside: Zach Wilson was 2nd in sack yardage (370!) and missed four games. LOLJETS). Hopefully he's working on rhythm passing and getting the ball out quick or throwing it away. He can play more like mid-career Aaron Rodgers.

To an extent, though, I don't think that Kyler is a rhythm passer, and Kliff's isn't really a rhythm offense.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He needs more patience and some small avoidance moves to keep him in the pocket longer.