THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, it's nice to be the one TO relegate a team on the last day, rather than the one to BE relegated :) Would've both had a top 10 finish AND had Man U finish 7th if Brighton would've done us a favor and lost to West Ham.

On that note, congrats @gmabel830 on a top-10 finish!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Newcastle definitely have a great vibe going. best I've seen since I've started following the league. I'll go to my grave saying my favorite game I've ever experience was Newcastle at Norwich a few years ago, and that was a championship league game. Although I did not enjoy being relegated to drinking carling. the new Tottenham stadium have the best beer selection.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Newcastle definitely have a great vibe going. best I've seen since I've started following the league. I'll go to my grave saying my favorite game I've ever experience was Newcastle at Norwich a few years ago, and that was a championship league game. Although I did not enjoy being relegated to drinking carling. the new Tottenham stadium have the best beer selection.

Are they selling throughout the game?

I know when I went to matches in '99 they would sell at halftime, but nothing during play

Remember at Stamford Bridge fans banging on the metal roll down at the stand chanting "beer! beer!" Waiting for sales to start up

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Are they selling throughout the game?

I know when I went to matches in '99 they would sell at halftime, but nothing during play

Remember at Stamford Bridge fans banging on the metal roll down at the stand chanting "beer! beer!" Waiting for sales to start up
they were selling, you just could not bring beer into the stands. you have to drink in the concourse. I've heard in Germany you can drink beer in the stands so I'm looking forward to go to some games there.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
they were selling, you just could not bring beer into the stands. you have to drink in the concourse. I've heard in Germany you can drink beer in the stands so I'm looking forward to go to some games there.

Right on.

Loved the pubs before and after the matches.

Haven't been to Germany, but watching on TV you can definitely see a lot of cups

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Very strange that you can't drink in the stands.
Yeah it is an England thing, not being able to bring beer into the stands. That is why English supporters really go full ****** when they travel to other countries like Germany, because they are allowed to drink in the stands.

Actually in 2018 UCL didn't even allow any alcohol sales, but in 2019 they were selling craft beer (brewed by Robert Plant's son) and premium wine in the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is an England thing, not being able to bring beer into the stands. That is why English supporters really go full ****** when they travel to other countries like Germany, because they are allowed to drink in the stands.

Actually in 2018 UCL didn't even allow any alcohol sales, but in 2019 they were selling craft beer (brewed by Robert Plant's son) and premium wine in the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium.
Yep, they didn't when I went to Anfield in 2017. Not that I would have drank anyway... The causeways are jammed during halftime while everyone pounds a beer or two.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is now official: Newcastle have held off AC Milan and Sven Botman is now a Magpie. This is a huge, HUGE get! Howe-way the lads!
I saw that last night. First real signing that Newcastle has made that I like.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I saw that last night. First real signing that Newcastle has made that I like.
Some signings have been brilliant, like Guimaresh (sp?), Trippier (won us 2 games when in real danger), and Botman. Some have been solid, like Targett, Burn, and Pope. Although Wood hasn't scored much, we would have been relegated without his presence.

What I really like is that the management team in place is dealing shrewdly and confidently, and not letting other teams add a Newcastle tax.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Well, I placed the dumb bet a few weeks ago: The Mags to win the league at +6000 :) Even just finishing top 4 wouldn't have made me much cheddar, so why not shoot for the moon?

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Ugh, this Maddison saga better end positively for the Mags. Window was strong for a while, with the defense solidified, but the Mags are in danger of becoming a joke as their impotence in the chase for ANY attacking reinforcements continues.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Ugh, this Maddison saga better end positively for the Mags. Window was strong for a while, with the defense solidified, but the Mags are in danger of becoming a joke as their impotence in the chase for ANY attacking reinforcements continues.
Meanwhile, Chelsea has joined Man City in the fight for Cucerella from Brighton -- after we already lost Bissouma to Spurs.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leicester's Maddison? I haven't been keeping up with transfer news this offseason as much as I normally do. I think he would be a pretty good get for Newcastle and make their chance to fight for Europe even more legit.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Leicester's Maddison? I haven't been keeping up with transfer news this offseason as much as I normally do. I think he would be a pretty good get for Newcastle and make their chance to fight for Europe even more legit.
He would be a good get, but we're either going to come up short--again for this summer--or drag this out until we get 5 or 10 less games out of him than we should. Early in the window, I was glad the new management was being pragmatic and not overpaying. Now I'm wondering if they're becoming cheapskates, pissing themselves at the mere mention of FFP, or both. There's still time to turn this window around, but the clock is ticking.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Naming Botman on the bench? He's our big-money, marquee signing, and he's been an animal in pre-season. You got this one wrong, Howe,, right out of the gate. Put this alongside the lack of any attacking--or even midfield--reinforcements, and man, you're kind of stomping on expectations.

The Mags have to put NF to the sword. Have to. I hope this selection gaffe doesn't open up the defense and give them a chance. And with Colback starting for NF, the Mags had better dominate possession.

All right, enough winging. Let's go win game one. Howe-way the lads!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Brighton deserved a goal, but both of these teams look to be pretty good this year.
You lot definitely deserved the points. Terrible coaching setup by Howe, conceding the midfield and trying to play long. Nick Pope should be starting for England; he was a monster today.

I think you guys will be good this year. Won't get into Europe because of the lack of finishing, but otherwise solid. And, unless Newcastle go get the damned offensive help we need, we'll be in the same boat :)

Heck, it was nice to just not lose at the Amex lol

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
It feels weird to say I'm disappointed only getting a point off Man City, but, man, the Mags were up 2 goals in the 2nd half! What a match! The ref was straight up wearing a powder-blue shirt, but thankfully VAR kept correcting his favoritism.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
It feels weird to say I'm disappointed only getting a point off Man City, but, man, the Mags were up 2 goals in the 2nd half! What a match! The ref was straight up wearing a powder-blue shirt, but thankfully VAR kept correcting his favoritism.
I was glad to see them overturn that decision. I thought Newcastle played very well. City are difficult to defend, a two goal deficit is nothing to them. I thought Newcastle did well to hold them to 3 once city got their legs under them. What a start to this PL season.