ASU 2022 Football - preview

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it looks likes it's up to ASU alums since the athletic department is not interested in NIL.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU gets another transfer, OL Joey Ramos.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU gets another transfer, OL Joey Ramos.

Wow, great get

The 6-foot-5, 305-pounder played in all 13 games for the Cyclones last year, primarily on special teams.

But in 2020 he played in eight games, starting five of those. That season the Iowa State group was named one of 11 semifinalists for the Joe Moore Award which is presented annually to the nation's top offensive lines. That year the team set a school record for rushing touchdowns (31) and posted the second-best scoring offense (32.9) in school history.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This portal stuff is crazy. https://247sports.com/college/arizo...Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24088

I mean, Gentry had a bright future, hate seeing him go, but our D is pretty deep and the new corners transferring in are a huge help. I loved Pearsall, he will be missed, but lots of good players in the WR room that will hopefully be ready to step up. Wouldn't be surprised if we add someone else through the portal. Silvera, Valladay, Swinson should be bigtime contributors next year.

5 more days left before the portal closes, I'll bet we will see more players coming on board and some moving on, should be fun to watch. :grabs:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This portal stuff is crazy. https://247sports.com/college/arizo...Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24088

I mean, Gentry had a bright future, hate seeing him go, but our D is pretty deep and the new corners transferring in are a huge help. I loved Pearsall, he will be missed, but lots of good players in the WR room that will hopefully be ready to step up. Wouldn't be surprised if we add someone else through the portal. Silvera, Valladay, Swinson should be bigtime contributors next year.

5 more days left before the portal closes, I'll bet we will see more players coming on board and some moving on, should be fun to watch. :grabs:

I haven't seen anything more about the quarterback from Florida. I wonder if this means he is not coming.

A starting quarterback and running back depth seems to be a problem.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything more about the quarterback from Florida. I wonder if this means he is not coming.

A starting quarterback and running back depth seems to be a problem.

Valliday is the transfer RB, he should be pretty tough teaming up with Ngata, but you are right we seem pretty thin there.

QB is a big unknown, but the fact that they were looking to add someone could be based on no one standing out in the pack. There is some good talent there, but if no one is distinguishing themselves yet as the standout candidate that may be a concern. Hopefully, one of them will come on strong in the Fall.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valliday is the transfer RB, he should be pretty tough teaming up with Ngata, but you are right we seem pretty thin there.

QB is a big unknown, but the fact that they were looking to add someone could be based on no one standing out in the pack. There is some good talent there, but if no one is distinguishing themselves yet as the standout candidate that may be a concern. Hopefully, one of them will come on strong in the Fall.

It seems like Daylin McLemore presently has the inside path to being the starting quarterback according to one analysis but Ricky Pearsall transferring doesn't give me a lot of optimism. Then it seemed like a Florida QB transfer was coming in, but then nothing further as yet.

Depth is my primary concern at running back.

In regard to the future of all ASU sports, I'm concerned there does not seem to be a lot of support in regard to having a strong NIL presence within the athletic department.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new possibility for ASU at quarterback.

We will have to see what happens as Baylor QB Gerry Bohanon enters the transfer portal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devils can't fill the holes quick enough as players leave through the transfer portal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And more hemorrhaging.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The world is full of good intentions. Why are other schools ahead of ASU in regard to NIL?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You're losing another key player today or tomorrow, but I'm surprised more havent defected.

ASU's baggage and reluctance to embrace the NIL circuit will be its detriment. Weird because Herm embraced the professional model when he began.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The world is full of good intentions. Why are other schools ahead of ASU in regard to NIL?

They’ve never really committed to being anything other than a second rate program. Rise up every few seasons and then back to meh. Just enough to not lose all support, never enough to sustain anything. Talking modern era not kush/cooper years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're losing another key player today or tomorrow, but I'm surprised more havent defected.

ASU's baggage and reluctance to embrace the NIL circuit will be its detriment. Weird because Herm embraced the professional model when he began.
They’ve never really committed to being anything other than a second rate program. Rise up every few seasons and then back to meh. Just enough to not lose all support, never enough to sustain anything. Talking modern era not kush/cooper years.

IMO, the problem starts higher up. Just where I'm not certain but the ASU athletic department hasn't embraced NIL the way it should.

See link below.

Until this is fixed the ASU sports programs are at a distinct disadvantage from those schools who have embraced NIL.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully a light at the end of the tunnel regarding NIL thanks to boosters.

By Chris Karpman, Sun Devil Source:

A group of affluent Arizona State boosters is set to launch a name, image and likeness (NIL) collective with an expected seven-figure bankroll to help the athletic department's marquee sports remain competitive in the rapidly-changing world of college athletics.

The new entity, which will have at least six founding members and allow for up to 15 board seats, is anticipated to apply to the IRS for non-profit 501(3)(c) status in May. The board’s current composition includes expertise in marketing, sports law, financial and tax advisory and non-profit operations. It has already received commitments totaling several hundred thousand dollars, with a goal of at least a million dollars pledged by launch and multiple millions of dollars derived from benefactors on an annual basis, two people working on the endeavor told Sun Devil Source.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*title changed to Preview from Schedule*

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping ASU can keep DT Jermayne Lole as he plans to enter the transfer portal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More ASU players entering the transfer portal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The state of ASU football looks even more bleak than originally anticipated if that is possible.

Linked in the tweet below is a podcast which includes an interview with Chris Karpman.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some pleasant news. Norman-Lott will be staying with ASU after entering the transfer portal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU gets their quarterback in Emory Jones a transfer from Florida.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate NIL.

And the transfer portal as currently constructed.

And I am not saying that just because ASU has been decimated via the portal.

Some college football players are reportedly getting paid millions of dollars. It's becoming professional sports.

The NCAA needs to implement something like a salary cap and supervision over payments to athletes.

It almost makes the violations ASU is accused of look frivolous.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some college football players are reportedly getting paid millions of dollars. It's becoming professional sports.

The NCAA needs to implement something like a salary cap and supervision over payments to athletes.

It almost makes the violations ASU is accused of look frivolous.
SCOTUS says the schools can't.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose