"Like tomorrow has already happened and there is nothing you can do about it", Draft Day

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
As Cardinal fans we can already see it happening, Keim is going to draft the wrong guy when it's so obvious to us the perennial Pro Bowler which is still on the board along with 'his guy'. As Buford says in the movie "Gettysburg", "tomorrow has already happened and there is nothing you can do about it". Adrian Peterson, DJ Metcalf, take your pick on the missed opportunities. I say it's going to be Zion Johnson this year. Don't ask me who we will take instead because how do you expect me to predict something which defies logic. So, who is your guy, that obvious pick on a silver platter which Keim will ignore when we are on the clock... the round does not matter, just name who we might not capitalize on while the getting's good
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything points to Johnson or Karlaftis in round one. I’ll be okay with either but I wouldn’t be shocked if Keim once again turns into what he believes is the amartest guy in the room.
We need a bigger wide receiver threat. I love Burks but 23 may be too high and he’ll be gone by round two. Maybe Tolbert in the second. We don’t need another small Wr, but we all know Keim.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I don’t know a lot of the guys people suggest all of the time but “if” someone is available and “if” we feel he is going to be that guy, why would you not take him even if he is 10-15 picks too soon? If Burks is the guy, take him. I’m tired of watching Keim play roulette and river boat gambler. Just pick the dude. It’s not like Keim or any GM is 100% right anyway.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I don’t know a lot of the guys people suggest all of the time but “if” someone is available and “if” we feel he is going to be that guy, why would you not take him even if he is 10-15 picks too soon? If Burks is the guy, take him. I’m tired of watching Keim play roulette and river boat gambler. Just pick the dude. It’s not like Keim or any GM is 100% right anyway.
That's kinda my feelings too.

Guy gets a 2nd round grade but you love the guy.... why miss out on him?
If he hits, five years from now nobody is going to be complaining he was over drafted.

Enter, Alec Peirce at #23

6'4"
4.4 forty...

#1 wr on the top offense in cfb.

Big, fast, great hands, good body control,
Everything we need across from Hop.....

With a few exceptions Peirce would be my pick at 23 because there is chatter he will be gone before 55.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's kinda my feelings too.

Guy gets a 2nd round grade but you love the guy.... why miss out on him?
If he hits, five years from now nobody is going to be complaining he was over drafted.

Enter, Alec Peirce at #23

6'4"
4.4 forty...

#1 wr on the top offense in cfb.

Big, fast, great hands, good body control,
Everything we need across from Hop.....

With a few exceptions Peirce would be my pick at 23 because there is chatter he will be gone before 55.
No way do you draft Pierce at 23. You trade down, to the beginning of the 2nd round if that is the player you covet. You can get a 3rd and a 5th probably for doing so as well.
...and I really like Pierce.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No way do you draft Pierce at 23. You trade down, to the beginning of the 2nd round if that is the player you covet. You can get a 3rd and a 5th probably for doing so as well.
But you don't get the fifth year option if you trade back to the 2nd round.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This. Just because you really like someone doesn't mean you draft them a round early. You either trade back in round 1 or you trade up in round 2.
Just like Byron Murphy. Supposedly Keim had a top 5 grade on him. If we had a top 5 pick, do you really think Murphy was worthy of that? No. He was a 2nd rounder for a reason.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This. Just because you really like someone doesn't mean you draft them a round early. You either trade back in round 1 or you trade up in round 2.
Just like Byron Murphy. Supposedly Keim had a top 5 grade on him. If we had a top 5 pick, do you really think Murphy was worthy of that? No. He was a 2nd rounder for a reason.
If we picked Pierce at 23.... lots of folks would condemn the choice.
If Pierce then comes out and posts 75 catches for 1200 yds and 10 TD's his rookie season..... suddenly nobody cares what his draft grade was.
The entire purpose of the draft is to get good players for your team. Not to pick the guys ESPN and pff say are the best.
Of course, we could trade back. Because nobody is going to leapfrog us and take our guy if we do.
That never happens

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
If Pierce then comes out and posts 75 catches for 1200 yds and 10 TD's his rookie season..... suddenly nobody cares what his draft grade was.
The entire purpose of the draft is to get good players for your team. Not to pick the guys ESPN and pff say are the best.
Of course, we could trade back. Because nobody is going to leapfrog us and take our guy if we do.
That never happens
Exactly… my point was why wait. Keim and team try to get cute and pick up more capital (of which Keim strikes out on anyway) why risk it? Take the dude at 23. We’ve already shown we move back and somebody ahead of us trades to another needy team and picks him before our lower pick. Besides, the evaluation process is not 100%. My favorite sure fire/can’t miss is not your favorite sure fire/can’t miss guy.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think its between Johnson and McDuffie at #23 or either Stingley Jr or Drake London in a trade up. Keim mentioned possibly moving up 5 picks or so and that could be in those two range.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That never happens
The last first round pick to have a good/great rookie season was what, Larry Fitzgerald?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its between Johnson and McDuffie at #23 or either Stingley Jr or Drake London in a trade up. Keim mentioned possibly moving up 5 picks or so and that could be in those two range.
Stingley is going top 5. No chance we trade up that high.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not with this GM!
Folks love to hate on keim. Okay.
But we spent all the BA years hearing, " Cardinals decisions " and it was made abundantly clear the GM, Owner,and coach all have say in who is drafted.
Then a short look at history shows that what separates an average GM from a great GM is maybe two draft classes.
Remember we had that 2 year stretch where we drafted Q, Larry, Dansby, and D90.... a stretch like that would sit keim firmly in the " very good GM" category...

Then you have to consider what you would replace him with. Another in house promotion?
If not, who has experience and is available?
Mike Mayock?

I don't see many "Good" nfl GM's sitting around waiting for a job offer.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks love to hate on keim. Okay.
But we spent all the BA years hearing, " Cardinals decisions " and it was made abundantly clear the GM, Owner,and coach all have say in who is drafted.
Then a short look at history shows that what separates an average GM from a great GM is maybe two draft classes.
Remember we had that 2 year stretch where we drafted Q, Larry, Dansby, and D90.... a stretch like that would sit keim firmly in the " very good GM" category...

Then you have to consider what you would replace him with. Another in house promotion?
If not, who has experience and is available?
Mike Mayock?

I don't see many "Good" nfl GM's sitting around waiting for a job offer.
He has given us A LOT to hate on.

That two year stretch wasn't Keim. If he had that kind of a run, we wouldn't be so bad. Most of the time, he can't land A SINGLE PICK in the entire draft.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
For the most part in theory yes, but you are forgetting one important thing, you have not seen the Cards big board or any other team. I would wager there are some huge differences on how teams view players and what we are left to judge by because you have 32 teams which the best qualified people are looking (and they do not like to share their board with the others, hint if you really like a guy you just might want to take him) while the rest are the ones which did not make the cut for a reason making a top list of who's who which we are privy to view. The only thing we have to go off of is our own opinion, friends and the media... and before anyone says the media is loaded with professionals to give a great consensus, ask Mike Mayock how his GM stint went

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He has given us A LOT to hate on.

That two year stretch wasn't Keim. If he had that kind of a run, we wouldn't be so bad. Most of the time, he can't land A SINGLE PICK in the entire draft.
Yeah...that stretch was Graves and green.
But that's my point...a great draft or two good ones changes the narrative.
Or does it?
You say he never hits a single pick....
Yet he drafted nearly our entire defense, and some of those guys are pretty good.
Kyler, Hump, Edmonds, David Johnson....

He has only really failed to pick truly dominant players....those future HoF type guys, 6 time all pro kinda guys.

I think much of the hate for the guy is due to the head scratchers..... like picking AI when DK Metcalf was on the board.
But honestly for most cards fans it doesn't matter what he does. They gonna hate on the dude anyway.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or does it?
Yet he drafted nearly our entire defense, and some of those guys are pretty good.

He has only really failed to pick truly dominant players....those future HoF type guys, 6 time all pro kinda guys.

I think much of the hate for the guy is due to the head scratchers..... like picking AI when DK Metcalf was on the board.
But honestly for most cards fans it doesn't matter what he does. They gonna hate on the dude anyway.
It doesn't. One great draft for Keim would be an anomaly. If he has more than one, then we can talk.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ISTR a lot of people ragging on Larry his rookie year. He didn’t really blow up till year 2.
That makes me feel even worse, lol.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
As Cardinal fans we can already see it happening, Keim is going to draft the wrong guy when it's so obvious to us the perennial Pro Bowler which is still on the board along with 'his guy'. As Buford says in the movie "Gettysburg", "tomorrow has already happened and there is nothing you can do about it". Adrian Peterson, DJ Metcalf, take your pick on the missed opportunities. I say it's going to be Zion Johnson this year. Don't ask me who we will take instead because how do you expect me to predict something which defies logic. So, who is your guy, that obvious pick on a silver platter which Keim will ignore when we are on the clock... the round does not matter, just name who we might not capitalize on while the getting's good
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That is the best scene, save for the "fix bayonets" scene, in the whole damn movie. Then again, there's the "general, I HAVE no division" scene. Damn, what a movie.

Reaction score
Or does it?

DK wasn't on a lot of people's boards because he was considered a workout warrior, all Tarzan type, that wasn't good at routes, or didn't have great hands if I remember correctly. More like David Boston with all muscle. I'm probably wrong & misremembering & will get flamed for it because everybody knew he was going to be all pro except for Keim etc. lol.