Pelicans @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 4-19-2022 - Game 2

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to expect the worst (7-10 days), hope for the best, but still feel confident we win the series. It’s just going to take 6 or 7… which in a war of attrition in the playoffs ain’t preferred.
This kind of injury just sucks because no matter how long it takes hamstrings have a bad habit of reinjury. Man....Shamet is about to prove if his acquisition was worth it or not unless Monty plans on playing the two-guard lineup with Paul/Payne which didn't look good at all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game 1 almost felt like a loss as well with the Pelicans total domination on the boards.

It's hard to see the Suns fixing this with their lack of size at forward. I believe other teams could do it though. Suns may have to rethink their defensive strategy.

Can Monty adapt?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game 1 almost felt like a loss as well with the Pelicans total domination on the boards.

It's hard to see the Suns fixing this with their lack of size at forward. I believe other teams could do it though. Suns may have to rethink their defensive strategy.

Can Monty adapt?

One adjustment that should help is starting Cam J in place of Booker. That would help even out the size discrepancy and cover for some of the scoring we'll miss while Booker is out. I think it'll be a little easier to attack the glass or box out with 3 forwards out there with Ayton and Paul.

I'd say we should run more to wear Jonas down but this isn't really a running team, at least with Paul at the helm. Running could also hurt us on the boards.

I think we'll be fine but knew this series wasn't going to be as easy as some predicted. The Pelicans are much better than their record indicates and Willie Green has a deep understanding of our team and players. It's going to be a fight. Round 2 will be easier than this. We matchup with Dallas and Utah much better than the Pelicans.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Can Monty adapt?
I trust Monty's ability to adapt and diagnose what needs to be done... I have less trust that we have the bodies. And worse, that the bodies we do have can rise up, handle the adjustments and execute ALL 4 QUARTERS.
Cam Payne is a problem... which sucks as I want to really like him. But he's become more of a problem than a positive. Same for Crowder...love his defense and "want to," but he can't rebound and can't score. And I'll toss Cam Johnson into this as well, though to a lesser extent.
Can CP3 be counted on to carry this team, to play flawlessly literally every second he's on the court? Because the margin for error has now shrunk to fractional...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One adjustment that should help is starting Cam J in place of Booker. That would help even out the size discrepancy and cover for some of the scoring we'll miss while Booker is out. I think it'll be a little easier to attack the glass or box out with 3 forwards out there with Ayton and Paul.

I'd say we should run more to wear Jonas down but this isn't really a running team, at least with Paul at the helm. Running could also hurt us on the boards.

I think we'll be fine but knew this series wasn't going to be as easy as some predicted. The Pelicans are much better than their record indicates and Willie Green has a deep understanding of our team and players. It's going to be a fight. Round 2 will be easier than this. We matchup with Dallas and Utah much better than the Pelicans.

I wasn't thinking this would be an easy series. Actually the opposite.

The Pelicans improved dramatically when they added CJ McCollum plus they have all this length.

Starting Cam Johnson at SG may help but it takes away from the Suns bench when the Pelicans bring in Larry Nance Jr.

Jae Crowder and Torrey Crowder have to get their game together and the Suns may need to use Biyombo some at FC.

The Suns bench has been a huge letdown. Part of that is Monty needs to expand the rotation when players have off games.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually I think I like that idea. My natural assumption was start Shamet. However, with the disparity on the boards and giving up second chance points that might not be a bad idea. However, they still MUST get production out of the PF spot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I trust Monty's ability to adapt and diagnose what needs to be done... I have less trust that we have the bodies. And worse, that the bodies we do have can rise up, handle the adjustments and execute ALL 4 QUARTERS.
Cam Payne is a problem... which sucks as I want to really like him. But he's become more of a problem than a positive. Same for Crowder...love his defense and "want to," but he can't rebound and can't score. And I'll toss Cam Johnson into this as well, though to a lesser extent.
Can CP3 be counted on to carry this team, to play flawlessly literally every second he's on the court? Because the margin for error has now shrunk to fractional...

Having the right players is a problem because the Suns have trouble matching up with the Pelicans size.

The Suns bench, aside from Cam Johnson and JaVale McGee, has been woefully bad. Time to give Holiday and Shamet more minutes and dust off Biyombo.

I think Chris Paul will perform well when he gets over the Scott Foster effect.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Pelicans improved dramatically when they added CJ McCollum plus they have all this length.

Starting Cam Johnson at SG may help but it takes away from the Suns bench when the Pelicans bring in Larry Nance Jr.

Jae Crowder and Torrey Crowder have to get their game together and the Suns may need to use Biyombo some at FC.

The Suns bench has been a huge letdown. Part of that is Monty needs to expand the rotation when players have off games.

This is why i mention either starting Craig over Crowder, or bring CJ in the game much earlier, like with 6-8 min left in the first. To keep guys fresh on defense, hustling and rebounds. I see those 2 players interchangeable, Craig and Crowder.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team without Booker this season never lost 4 out of 7 games. Think about that.
Yeah, but were they playing all playoff caliber teams in those stretches - I don't think so.

Can we beat the Pelicans without Booker, yes I believe so, but it is going to require better play than they showed last night, particuallarly from CP3.

I'm not going to lie, I am very worried.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, but were they playing all playoff caliber teams in those stretches - I don't think so.

Can we beat the Pelicans without Booker, yes I believe so, but it is going to require better play than they showed last night, particuallarly from CP3.

I'm not that worried yet. This team has always bounced back when face with adversity. To give up on them is way premature. (Not saying YOU are giving up on them, but that is the prevailing mood on the board today)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why i mention either starting Craig over Crowder, or bring CJ in the game much earlier, like with 6-8 min left in the first. To keep guys fresh on defense, hustling and rebounds. I see those 2 players interchangeable, Craig and Crowder.

Craig has been scoreless the last two games and only has 1 rebound. It has not been an inspiring effort.

However, I am more than willing to change it up. Being demoted to the bench might motivate Crowder and inspire Craig.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I’m going to expect the worst (7-10 days), hope for the best, but still feel confident we win the series. It’s just going to take 6 or 7… which in a war of attrition in the playoffs ain’t preferred.
For context, Book missed 18 days in December for his last hamstring flareup (7 games). Now, they were likely being extra cautious with it given that it was the start of the season but it's possible/probable he misses the rest of the series.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know you were one of the people who didn't discount New Orleans. They're a bad matchup for us.

I'm not worried about when Nance Jr comes in. I think our starters will need to play a little more, primarily Cam J, and that will keep Nance Jr from having any real matchup advantage. Rotate in Craig for Crowder and Cam J and Shamet for Bridges, with Payne for CP3. Stick with McGee for Ayton also.

I'd actually try and get Payne and Shamet in together whenever CP3 sits. Let them split PG duties and run when they're in.

I don't think it'll be that hard to overcome the Pelicans in New Orleans, we're the best road team in the league and CP3 seems to shine in New Orleans also. As long as we win game 3, I'm happy. That should give Book about 5-6 days of rest because winning game 3 should let him sit out game 4. If we come back 2-2 then so be it. I don't see us dropping 2 of the final 3 and can't see them losing this series.

The Pelicans are good but lack experience and I think they'll be overconfident in game 3.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

Here was the schedule during Booker's absence in December:
Thu, Dec 2vs
You must be registered for see images attach
Detroit
W114-103
Fri, Dec 3@
Golden State
L118-96
Mon, Dec 6vs
San Antonio
W108-104
Fri, Dec 10vs
Boston
W111-90
Mon, Dec 13@
LA
L111-95
Tue, Dec 14@
Portland
W111-107 OT
Thu, Dec 16vs
Washington
W118-98

They lost to 2 of the 4 Playoff caliber teams (and I'm being super generous with considering SA a playoff caliber team)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know you were one of the people who didn't discount New Orleans. They're a bad matchup for us.

I'm not worried about when Nance Jr comes in. I think our starters will need to play a little more, primarily Cam J, and that will keep Nance Jr from having any real matchup advantage. Rotate in Craig for Crowder and Cam J and Shamet for Bridges, with Payne for CP3. Stick with McGee for Ayton also.

I'd actually try and get Payne and Shamet in together whenever CP3 sits. Let them split PG duties and run when they're in.

I don't think it'll be that hard to overcome the Pelicans in New Orleans, we're the best road team in the league and CP3 seems to shine in New Orleans also. As long as we win game 3, I'm happy. That should give Book about 5-6 days of rest because winning game 3 should let him sit out game 4. If we come back 2-2 then so be it. I don't see us dropping 2 of the final 3 and can't see them losing this series.

The Pelicans are good but lack experience and I think they'll be overconfident in game 3.
I'm not happy with Payne playing the 2 or at least a shooting guard hybrid, because all he's doing is chucking up terrible 3 point shots.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here was the schedule during Booker's absence in December:
Thu, Dec 2vs
Detroit
W114-103
Fri, Dec 3@
Golden State
L118-96
Mon, Dec 6vs
San Antonio
W108-104
Fri, Dec 10vs
Boston
W111-90
Mon, Dec 13@
LA
L111-95
Tue, Dec 14@
Portland
W111-107 OT
Thu, Dec 16vs
Washington
W118-98

They lost to 2 of the 4 Playoff caliber teams (and I'm being super generous with considering SA a playoff caliber team)

Worth noting they didn't have Ayton for that Clippers game. He also missed the Boston game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Worth noting they didn't have Ayton for that Clippers game. He also missed the Boston game.
Wasn't his hamstring issue more severe when he was out those games? Right now, it's listed as "tightness", which to me is much better than a strain or a pulled hammy. Almost on par with a longer-lasting charlie horse.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't his hamstring issue more severe when he was out those games? Right now, it's listed as "tightness", which to me is much better than a strain or a pulled hammy. Almost on par with a longer-lasting charlie horse.

I believe he took a hit to the hammy earlier in the year. This seems more like a strain, almost like he didn't warm up properly or just landed awkwardly.

I believe you're right though, it was more serious.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I believe he took a hit to the hammy earlier in the year. This seems more like a strain, almost like he didn't warm up properly or just landed awkwardly.

I believe you're right though, it was more serious.
I could just be trying to make sure this news doesn't completely send us down into a never-ending spiral of melancholy and despair.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For context, Book missed 18 days in December for his last hamstring flareup (7 games). Now, they were likely being extra cautious with it given that it was the start of the season but it's possible/probable he misses the rest of the series.
yeah... I wouldn't be surprised if he's out the rest of the series.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton was a full on beast in that Portland game. He's going to have to beast out at least once it the next two games if we're going to steal back HCA.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TL:DW - Seems a bit more positive than we are because it wasn't the same leg as the previous injury, and he wasn't limping directly after.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

TL:DW - Seems a bit more positive than we are because it wasn't the same leg as the previous injury, and he wasn't limping directly after.
Fascinating and cautiously optimistic.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This the same guy that was wrong on cp3 last year in the lakers series.

It looks like Book has a hitch when he walking in that clip there, meaning he’s trying to hide the severity.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA