The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am content with this group. Let's get Scotland in!
Same. Unlike the group of death from 2014. US should be favored to get out of his group.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I honestly don't think there is a Group of Death this year. Competitive, yes, but maybe Group H and Group E would qualify, especially if Costa Rica beats New Zealand.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I honestly don't think there is a Group of Death this year. Competitive, yes, but maybe Group H and Group E would qualify, especially if Costa Rica beats New Zealand.

Agree.. some have a strong 1-2 punch, but none where you look and go “dang, can’t believe one of those teams won’t make it through!”

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That was a disappointment, how many different ways could these people ask the same or similar questions. You could even tell by Pulisic's answers that he was wondering good God it's the same question in a different form.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Nations League stuff is pretty blah, hard to get excited playing El Salvador and Grenada.

I just wish we could do away with this crap and have an "Americas Tournament"--South-Central-North that actually counted for something.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think they need to be playing two friendlies a month up to the WC. They really need to get their cohesiveness down better.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They normally do a farewell series prior to the WC, I am sure we will see some of the "just missed qualifying" teams on one of those. Hopefully we see Italy, that would be a good challenge...maybe add what teams don't qualify from the Ukraine-Wales-Scotland eliminators.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
They normally do a farewell series prior to the WC, I am sure we will see some of the "just missed qualifying" teams on one of those. Hopefully we see Italy, that would be a good challenge...maybe add what teams don't qualify from the Ukraine-Wales-Scotland eliminators.
I think between now and November they need to play at least 3-4 friendlies against WC qualifiers each different in how they play so they can get a taste of what they may face down the road. I wouldn't want any cupcakes between now and then.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
It's not an impossible group for the US to get out of. You never know what England team will show up in tournaments--they were stacked when we played them in South Africa and we still managed a draw and the US should be favored in the other 2 matches (regardless of who wins the Euro playoff). The U S has the talent, the only thing holding them back is the manager.
England have so much pressure on them heading into this World Cup and the draw won't do them any favors regarding the amount of expectation that will be on them to win every match in the group stage. England vs Scotland (or Wales) would be epic. I think this is a tricky draw for both England and the USA..I doubt England would want to face Scotland or Wales. From what a lot of people are saying about Iran...they are pretty good as well. I think it will be tough to get out of this group, but feasible for this team if they can get healthy, hate to see Reyna injured again.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
England have so much pressure on them heading into this World Cup and the draw won't do them any favors regarding the amount of expectation that will be on them to win every match in the group stage. England vs Scotland (or Wales) would be epic. I think this is a tricky draw for both England and the USA..I doubt England would want to face Scotland or Wales. From what a lot of people are saying about Iran...they are pretty good as well. I think it will be tough to get out of this group, but feasible for this team if they can get healthy, hate to see Reyna injured again.
I don't see Iran as a pushover by any means. As for Reyna.

https://sports.yahoo.com/usmnt-dortmund-star-gio-reyna-191706430.html

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Dear lord, Steffan's antics in the FA cup are inexcusable. His lazy, lackadaisical approach is not for me. Never want to see him between the sticks for the U.S. ever again.
Not only should he be released immediately from the team and banished forthwith but the goalie coach should also be fired. If Berhalter brings him back Berhalter should be fired.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This is the danger of sending one of our GK's to a team in Europe to ride the bench. Much rather have a guy getting regular playing time in MLS than riding the bench in Europe for "practice reps".

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I don't see Iran as a pushover by any means. As for Reyna.

https://sports.yahoo.com/usmnt-dortmund-star-gio-reyna-191706430.html
I agree about Iran. I would probably rather face Scotland as opposed to Wales or Ukraine, but IDK. that really stinks about Reyna, obviously he wasn't fully fit in this last window, or he was and Berhalter was being conservative, but he looked really good when he was on the ball. Obviously hoping that he makes a full recovery in time for the World Cup, I guess we really lucked out that it is in the winter this time. certainly will be difficult for him to make it back.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson