Pelicans @ Suns Sunday Playoff game thread 4-17-2022 - Game 1

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh so all we have to do is look back concerned after we break a players jaw?
Ayton took a hit, but because he's a man and not a flopping ***** there was no call.
Mason Ginsburg? "Who da hell is dat guy"?

Shoulders and elbows are legal for the Pelicans while Ayton gets a foul for contact with a leg.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Paul is not only the smartest player to wear a Suns jersey,
I believe he has the highest bb-IQ i've seen in over 50 years.
--higher than Nash and Magic.
he plays the basketball court like it's a chess board.

he can't beat you with physical ability anymore
but he can still score 19 in the 4th of a playoff game with his will and smarts.
if he can't break free of the defense,
he'll make the right pass.
if the offense gets past him,
he'll poke the ball out from behind
most importantly, he'll maximize the team's balance when he's on the floor

but ultimately, there's no getting around the physical realities of NBA ball
and what Paul can sustain over a long playoff run.
we got the the #1 seed with team balance and physical intensity.
it's our ticket back to the finals
and it's what i'll be looking for on Tuesday

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paul is not only the smartest player to wear a Suns jersey,
I believe he has the highest bb-IQ i've seen in over 50 years.
--higher than Nash and Magic.
he plays the basketball court like it's a chess board.

he can't beat you with physical ability anymore
but he can still score 19 in the 4th of a playoff game with his will and smarts.
if he can't break free of the defense,
he'll make the right pass.
if the offense gets past him,
he'll poke the ball out from behind
most importantly, he'll maximize the team's balance when he's on the floor

but ultimately, there's no getting around the physical realities of NBA ball
and what Paul can sustain over a long playoff run.
we got the the #1 seed with team balance and physical intensity.
it's our ticket back to the finals
and it's what i'll be looking for on Tuesday

He had a mid court steal in transition tonight, jumping off his man, just knowing exactly where the pass was going to go. As much accolades as he gets as an passer and shooter, the guy is STILL one of the best defensive guards in the NBA. To be a phenomenal defender at his age is unheard of.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had a mid court steal in transition tonight, jumping off his man, just knowing exactly where the pass was going to go. As much accolades as he gets as an passer and shooter, the guy is STILL one of the best defensive guards in the NBA. To be a phenomenal defender at his age is unheard of.

I saw a decent amount of talk for him making the All Defense 2nd team this year. Won't be surprised if that happens.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad Monty has loosened the reins on the rotation a little more than last year. He played 9 guys, all the bench guys saw at least 11 minutes. He also didn't go small ball with Craig at Center like last year, using McGee to cover each of Ayton's minutes on the bench.

I'd like to see Shamet worked in when he's healthy so Booker doesn't need to exceed 40 minutes again but I imagine he'll work him slowly and Booker probably complains about the limited minutes he sits as is it.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chris Paul is going to have to take over games and be dominant in playoffs if he wants a title. He may not need to average 30 a game but definitely in the 20s. Bridges is going to have to focus on defense to lock down the opponents best player so he might not give you the offensive production needed to keep offense flowing. Chis definitely can't be held to single digit scoring games this season unless there is someone else other than Booker and Ayton taking the scoring load off him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May have to hire Jamal Crawford as a coach. He told Chris Paul to shoot the ball at halftime.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

On the postgame he said you could hear the Pels calling out their coverages to "go under" on the screens. he said just because I don't shoot often doesn't mean I can't shoot, take what they gave me.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That’s scary good defense by Bridges and Ayton

Our rebounding is going to be a huge problem. Outside of Ayton nobody on our team is even an average rebounder. We need to gang rebound and attack the boards.

I see people talking about how Ayton only got 8 boards but it’s the defense we play. We switch everything and take Ayton out of the paint. Hard to get a rebound when your guarding Ingram at the 3 point line.

That’s why rebounding needs to be a team effort with us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the postgame he said you could hear the Pels calling out their coverages to "go under" on the screens. he said just because I don't shoot often doesn't mean I can't shoot, take what they gave me.

I heard that later on as well. Chris Paul will shoot if he has the open look or feels disrespected. I'm glad he did last night.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More about Chris Paul becoming the oldest player to have 30 points and 10 assists in a playoff game.

By Brian Windhorst ESPN Senior Writer:

Paul, who will turn 37 in three weeks, became the oldest player to record 30 points and 10 assists in a playoff game, as he put up exactly those numbers in leading the top-seeded Phoenix Suns to a 110-99 victory in Game 1 of their first-round series on Sunday.

He passed Steve Nash, who did the same as a member of the Suns at age 36 in 2010. Paul is now one of just five players in history to have 10 playoff games with 30 points and 10 assists. LeBron James has the most with 22 such performances, followed by Michael Jordan with 15.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was holding my breath everytime Chris Paul took a tumble...
yes, that's why i say Paul having to repeat what he did Sunday is not our formula for success in the long run. But i would like him asserting himself every game to a degree that makes the opposition never forget that he's an offensive threat on the floor.

we're most effective when the defense has to focus on Paul, Booker, and Ayton at the same time, then hope that someone like Bridges, Cam J, or Crowder doesn't burn them.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Valanciunas has 19 rebounds, DA has 7…..over the course of the series, we can still win but DA has to be better.
Ayton's rebounding was fine.
Jonas with 25 rebounds… 13 offensive boards… that’s domination. Wow…
How many of those 13 were tips on his own missed shots? If he had shot a normal percentage the rebounding numbers would've been a lot closer.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why is everyone complaining about the rebounds? The Pelicans had 20 more offensive rebounds than the Suns. They also missed 23 more shots than the Suns. Lots of opportunities for offensive rebounds when you miss 2/3 of your shots.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why is everyone complaining about the rebounds? The Pelicans had 20 more offensive rebounds than the Suns. They also missed 23 more shots than the Suns. Lots of opportunities for offensive rebounds when you miss 2/3 of your shots.
Well, isn't the goal to make the Pels miss shots? It would be great for us if ANY team misses 78% of their shots. But that will create offensive rebound opportunities that we need to deny them.

If the goal is to get the other team to miss 2/3 of their shots (which it should be), then you have to make sure you can defensive rebound. We couldn't do that last night.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose