Any fear of a 2021 1st round repeat?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
His testing was mediocre. He ran OK and his broad was ok. That's it.

His VJ was 6th worst at the combine. His arm length, wingspan, and weight are all low percentile.
Arm length and wingspan aren't measureables that really matter for a receiver.
I just don't see small wingspan WR who can't jump and has the worst YAC of all the top receivers as a success waiting to happen but I guess we will see.
Game tape. If you drafted based on measureables, you'd draft a losing football team.

Olave has 1st round tape. His measureables are fine.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Game tape. If you drafted based on measureables, you'd draft a losing football team.

Oh I've watched him too. I'm not saying he's a bum, he's obviously talented, I just don't see top 20. I would not be surprised if he's on the board at 23.

For me the measurables match what I see. I think he's going to struggle in the NFL but that just my opinion. I'm not trying to fight anyone. I guess we will see.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oh I've watched him too. I'm not saying he's a bum, he's obviously talented, I just don't see top 20. I would not be surprised if he's on the board at 23.

For me the measurables match what I see. I think he's going to struggle in the NFL but that just my opinion. I'm not trying to fight anyone. I guess we will see.
It's good to agree to disagree.

I legit don't think Olave is a #1. Some people would be shocked that I would want to draft him in round 1 with the view that he isn't a #1.

I see Olave as a Robert Woods type, and when you invest in a QB so high, I think it's not a crazy investment to use a late first round pick on a #2 receiver. Another thing I look for in the draft is players that I think are guaranteed or near guaranteed contributors. I'd take a guy that I know will be good over a guy who is iffy but has a chance to be great.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's good to agree to disagree.

I legit don't think Olave is a #1. Some people would be shocked that I would want to draft him in round 1 with the view that he isn't a #1.

I see Olave as a Robert Woods type, and when you invest in a QB so high, I think it's not a crazy investment to use a late first round pick on a #2 receiver. Another thing I look for in the draft is players that I think are guaranteed or near guaranteed contributors. I'd take a guy that I know will be good over a guy who is iffy but has a chance to be great.
Absolutely NOTHING wrong with taking a WR2 with the 23rd pick. I don’t think Olave will be there at 23, but if he is, I have no problem taking him. Would rather have Burks or Dotson, but Olave will do! Also, you make a GREAT point that when you invest in a QB so high, then you had better invest in WR weapons. I’m not sold that Olave will be great, but I do believe he’s NFL ready & it would benefit us to have him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Absolutely NOTHING wrong with taking a WR2 with the 23rd pick. I don’t think Olave will be there at 23, but if he is, I have no problem taking him. Would rather have Burks or Dotson, but Olave will do! Also, you make a GREAT point that when you invest in a QB so high, then you had better invest in WR weapons. I’m not sold that Olave will be great, but I do believe he’s NFL ready & it would benefit us to have him.
Burks is a bit harder to project.

Dotson might also be a high end #3 as well.

But the Cardinals desperately need another target for Murray, and I don't see clear evidence a 2nd round guy is a smarter bet.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Burks is a bit harder to project.

Dotson might also be a high end #3 as well.

But the Cardinals desperately need another target for Murray, and I don't see clear evidence a 2nd round guy is a smarter bet.
I agree 100% that I prefer that the Cardinals take a WR in the 1st round as opposed to the 2nd.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Jahan Dotson highlights from 2021-22. Kid has hands like Fitz, if he can reach it he catches it. Only two drops last season on a 138 targets and 91 receptions. Not afraid to go over the middle. Gets good separation and can throw the ball. Here's an interesting stat Dotson has never dropped a pass of 20-plus yards (54 targets). As good as I thought Chris Godwin was coming out of PSU, I think Dotson is better and I thought Godwin was going to be a top notch WR in the NFL.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Correct... don't go Al Davis stupid on measureables when how they actually play football is what counts, tape is still the truth :raccoon:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Jahan Dotson highlights from 2021-22. Kid has hands like Fitz, if he can reach it he catches it. Only two drops last season on a 138 targets and 91 receptions. Not afraid to go over the middle. Gets good separation and can throw the ball. Here's an interesting stat Dotson has never dropped a pass of 20-plus yards (54 targets). As good as I thought Chris Godwin was coming out of PSU, I think Dotson is better and I thought Godwin was going to be a top notch WR in the NFL.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Nice video, looks like he has good hands, is tough (he took some shots over the middle) and has a little wiggle to him. I am not sure if he fits the exact need for the Cardinals however, looks like another slot guy.

His measurables are pretty comparable to Christian Kirk, with the exception that Kirk had about 20 lbs on him as a rookie.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Football Outsiders' latest three-round mock:

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Football Outsiders' latest three-round mock:

You must be registered for see images attach
Zion is okay, but then...blah. Well, maybe me with my broken down, post-broken leg, 10.01 40 time carcass can try out for the WR position. I'd probably make the bottom of the depth chart right now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The draft is consistently one of my favorite things in sports. First year I can remember where the Cardinals ineptitude has impacted my excitement over it.

Dotson does nothing for me. Terrible breakout score and average measurables for a first round player. Small and not dynamic as a WR just isn't for me in the first round.

Stout

Reaction score
The draft is consistently one of my favorite things in sports. First year I can remember where the Cardinals ineptitude has impacted my excitement over it.

Dotson does nothing for me. Terrible breakout score and average measurables for a first round player. Small and not dynamic as a WR just isn't for me in the first round.
lol Small and not dynamic. I'll say no thanks to whatever stats you have behind "breakout score" and say he's pretty damn explosive. Might not be the type of WR we need, but I'd take him over Rondale Moore 10 times out of 10.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If we went WR, who would your preference be amongst the ones that could possibly drop to 23? I like Burks, but don't believe he'll be around. I watch PSU football every weekend, so I've seen a lot of Dotson. PSU has had below average QB play the past few years, so I'd be curious to see how he does with a real QB throwing him the ball. I don't like his small frame, but the kid has great hands, and very good ball skills. Overall, he's an upgrade over Kirk, but I just can't get past the small body. He was better than Godwin was at PSU. He has tremendous acceleration & wiggle too.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
lol Small and not dynamic. I'll say no thanks to whatever stats you have behind "breakout score" and say he's pretty damn explosive. Might not be the type of WR we need, but I'd take him over Rondale Moore 10 times out of 10.
Agree 100%. He's much better than people are giving him credit for. If we went WR, my preference would be to go bigger, but I wouldn't be upset at all with Dotson.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we went WR, who would your preference be amongst the ones that could possibly drop to 23? I like Burks, but don't believe he'll be around. I watch PSU football every weekend, so I've seen a lot of Dotson. PSU has had below average QB play the past few years, so I'd be curious to see how he does with a real QB throwing him the ball. I don't like his small frame, but the kid has great hands, and very good ball skills. Overall, he's an upgrade over Kirk, but I just can't get past the small body. He was better than Godwin was at PSU. He has tremendous acceleration & wiggle too.

My only concern with Dotson is can he play outside in the NFL. He moved all over in college, including playing a bunch outside, I'm just not sure if he has the physical skill set to do it in the NFL.

I'm guessing a lot of teams see him as a slot.

Personally I get a little annoyed that every WR that's sub 6'1" and 200lb gets labelled as a slot automatically. There are plenty of guys under both that have been great outside, but that seems to be the trend now.

Stout

Reaction score
My only concern with Dotson is can he play outside in the NFL. He moved all over in college, including playing a bunch outside, I'm just not sure if he has the physical skill set to do it in the NFL.

Personally I get a little annoyed that every WR that's sub 6'1" and 200lb gets labelled as a slot automatically. There are plenty of guys under both that have been great outside, but that seems to be the trend now.
Those are valid concerns.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

He is listed as the fourth best prospect on NFL.com and the sixth best on ESPN and SI.

Dotson recorded 91 receptions for 1,182 yards and 12 touchdowns. He was excellent, producing a lot of big plays for Penn State. Dotson should of had an even bigger season, but quarterback Sean Clifford routinely missed him wide open downfield with inaccurate passes. In the Wisconsin game alone, Dotson should have had touchdowns of over 80 yards, 70 yards and 60 yards, but terrible passes by Clifford blew those opportunities. That happened in other games as well.

Clifford is at best average and missed multiple games last season. His backups were below average to downright horrible. For Dotson to produce the season he had in 2021 is a credit to his abilities.

And what the heck is a breakout score?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dotson just seems like a high-end WR3 at best. Best ability being contested catching…while at 5’11 just leaves me as meh.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

For the record, Dotson was the ONLY Power 5 WR last year with 25+ explosive plays and 2 or fewer drops. Kid carries a football with him everywhere he goes.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What does the board think of Houston DT Logan Hall?

Football Outsiders just did a big breakdown of him.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Cards go there considering that we have a dire need at the position, and he likely reminds Keim of Calais Campbell.
I don't get how a 6'6'' defensive lineman didn't deflect a single pass in 4 years, also almost every sacks came in his last season (6)

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What does the board think of Houston DT Logan Hall?

Football Outsiders just did a big breakdown of him.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Cards go there considering that we have a dire need at the position, and he likely reminds Keim of Calais Campbell.
I really like Logan Hall. He makes dare I say some Eric Swannesque wow plays and looks enormous for a guy listed at 285. He is known as a really hard working kid who plays all out to the whistle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose