Mock Drafts - Discussions, Comparisons, Comments

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I just did a 2 round Mock before reading both Mel's and Todd's most recent mocks. Then decided to compare my 1st round to each of theirs for fun. I was surprised to see that Kiper had 7 of his 32 the same as mine, while Todd had 6 the same as mine. Mel and Todd only matched a total of 4 of each other, with only 3 coming after both picked Hutchinson at #1.

6 to 8 is about the best either of them do each year compared to the real draft. The deeper you go in R1, the harder it is to get a match. And no point in going any further, for after R1 it is near impossible to guess any, besides maybe a lucky guess.

I will do another R1 mock the day before the draft and see how I and the Mels and Todds of the world do compared to the real draft. Maybe I will make a game thread a few days before the draft for everyone who wants to post their final mock and see who does the best. I might even put up a nice prize for our champion if enough people show interest and post a mock.

By the way, in these latest mocks we had the Cards picking:
Me - Trent McDuffie, CB
Todd - Treylon Burks, WR
Mel - Devonte Wyatt, DT

I think for real any of those 3 would be fine by me at pick 23.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just did a 2 round Mock before reading both Mel's and Todd's most recent mocks. Then decided to compare my 1st round to each of theirs for fun. I was surprised to see that Kiper had 7 of his 32 the same as mine, while Todd had 6 the same as mine. Mel and Todd only matched a total of 4 of each other, with only 3 coming after both picked Hutchinson at #1.

6 to 8 is about the best either of them do each year compared to the real draft. The deeper you go in R1, the harder it is to get a match. And no point in going any further, for after R1 it is near impossible to guess any, besides maybe a lucky guess.

I will do another R1 mock the day before the draft and see how I and the Mels and Todds of the world do compared to the real draft. Maybe I will make a game thread a few days before the draft for everyone who wants to post their final mock and see who does the best. I might even put up a nice prize for our champion if enough people show interest and post a mock.

By the way, in these latest mocks we had the Cards picking:
Me - Trent McDuffie, CB
Todd - Treylon Burks, WR
Mel - Devonte Wyatt, DT

I think for real any of those 3 would be fine by me at pick 23.
I would be fine with any of the three. I just don't see how Burks is there at 23. If he is, I definitely take him. For me, he's the best option of those three. He's not without bust potential, but he has Anquan Boldin potential too.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is it safe to say that WR, Edge and CB are our three greatest needs? If so, in what order? And, of course, BPA at a need position would be our pick at #23.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals presently have 8 picks in the draft with none in the 4th and 5th rounds.

I want to know who might be available for the Cardinals in the 6th and the 7th rounds. There are 5 picks right there.

Any sleepers this late in the draft?

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
IOL is a bigger need than CB

You in favor of Cards taking a IOL with their 1st pick? There might not be any better choices left at 23. I just hope we get a sure plug and play guy, instead of like our last couple 1st round picks.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think you pick the best player on your board but for need I would rank ours as WR, Edge, NT/DT & IOL (DT & IOL as the same priority). Just hoping we get one of the top 4/5 WRs who will be studs. But it’s possible that they and the top Edge rushers will be gone. If that’s the case I do a trade down later into the 1st and pick up Ojabo.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You in favor of Cards taking a IOL with their 1st pick? There might not be any better choices left at 23. I just hope we get a sure plug and play guy, instead of like our last couple 1st round picks.
i would take Zion Johnson at 23 and never hesitate

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A monster in the middle for this defense would be nice. I don't know what round I would take a DT?

I'm always feel like 1st round DT's are a wasted pick. There is a such a huge difference between college and the NFL even the best take years to adapt.

Quinnen had a rough start. Derrick Brown has been mediocre in his first 2 years. Kinlaw has struggled. Ed Oliver has been ok but that he's on a stacked line.

Vita Vea is the only recent guy I can think of that's done well pretty quickly but that was mainly as a wrecking ball run stopper than a sack artist until this last year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IOL is a bigger need than CB

This.

We shouldn't be drafting for what we need now. You also have to consider what we need next year and the whole O line cupboard looks bare, especially interior.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I disagree. W/o a good pass rush, we, at least need CB's to defend the pass. I can understand taking an IOL, if he's the BPA, but, imo, CB is a greater need.

there is our rookie corner...keim got him for a steal. would honestly be shocked to see him go after another one.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The guy who interests me, and fills a huge need for the Cards, is Ojabo from Michigan. I wonder where he'll go? It's likely somewhere in round 2. He's a top 15-20 talent and Cam Akers showed you can come back from an achilles injury in a decent time frame and play effectively. I would love the Cards to make a move and grab Ojabo in round 2. He may even be there when they pick but I'm guessing they'd have to move up some to get him.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Prioritizing talent that addresses need gets down to the nitty (because ranking players by the combo of talent/need gets to be far trickier than either aspect alone) and can run you right into a brick wall.

We need talent/depth at OL, EDGE, CB, ILB, WR1 and WR2 but may have run out of talented options at any of these positions.

Do we, then, pass up a phenom at, say, QB or S because we can plug a roster gap with a mediocre prospect?.

This why drafting isn’t as simple as you’d imagine.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The guy who interests me, and fills a huge need for the Cards, is Ojabo from Michigan. I wonder where he'll go? It's likely somewhere in round 2. He's a top 15-20 talent and Cam Akers showed you can come back from an achilles injury in a decent time frame and play effectively. I would love the Cards to make a move and grab Ojabo in round 2. He may even be there when they pick but I'm guessing they'd have to move up some to get him.
Always skeptical of the lone, or few, instances of recovery from specific injury as they tend to the exceptions to the rule and you don’t want to spend a first round pick hoping for that. All that said, I also understand that elite athletes have greater likelihood of bouncing back and that medicine advances constantly. But the historical returns on guys getting explosion back on Achilles hasn’t been great.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
In that 7 round draft, he has us taking Kyren Williams, RB, ND in I believe the 6th round. That is one I would think is a wasted pick. I see him as a total bust. He is slow, smallish in size, and has a problem with hanging on to the ball. How he is ranked by many to be the 7th highest RB in the draft shows laziness on the part of those pundits. But what the heck do I know.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The NFLN Mock Drive Live person has us trading down to #29 with KC and drafting Breece Hall - RB, Iowa State. Don’t dislike the player at all, but wouldn’t feel content with that result.

Chiefs traded up for Olave, btw.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The NFLN Mock Drive Live person has us trading down to #29 with KC and drafting Breece Hall - RB, Iowa State. Don’t dislike the player at all, but wouldn’t feel content with that result.

Chiefs traded up for Olave, btw.
Well, that would be an absolute nightmare scenario.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, that would be an absolute nightmare scenario.

I'd be stoked with the trade back to 29 because that should get us a late 3rd and late 5th. But not for Breece Hall.

In this scenario I'd take George Pickens. Very little (if any) drop off between the guys there at 23 and Pickens. Pickens is a true outside receiver and would be awesome opposite Nuk.

To get Pickens and 2 extra picks would be fantastic.

I think we are safe on the 1st round RB. I don't see Keim doing that at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson