UofA Hoops 2021-2022 - Ushering In the Tommy Lloyd Era

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The main issue for AZ was they just aren't a very athletic team. They really got outplayed in every round athletically - even Wright St, which didn't have the size to compete. It's the Gonzaga curse, if you will. Dominating in a really weak Pac-12 kind of hid the flaws.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Exposed bad but will be good for everyone going forward because I trust Tommy. I don’t hate the idea of Kerr going to play overseas somewhere.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't get why Lloyd played Kriisa that much, 19 minutes was too much he was 1-7 and they were targeting him on defense especially in the first half when they got the lead.

Maybe it wouldn't have mattered but Larsson was a better matchup IMO.

If the refs saw Kriisa pretending to puke after he tried to draw that charge he probably would have gotten a T and never got back in but I was pretty surprised Lloyd put him back in after that.

Scary to think how good Houston would be if they had those 2 guards that have been out since December their quickness and depth would be scary. Not a Sampson fan but he can coach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meant to add the Dalen Terry transformation continues. Best player on teh court for UA last night. I count 10 games in the last 16 with double digits, good defense, rebounds and a great passer. He's getting into Iguodala territory at his size. Assuming he comes back he could be a conference POY candidate next year

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I just don't get why Lloyd played Kriisa that much, 19 minutes was too much he was 1-7 and they were targeting him on defense especially in the first half when they got the lead.

Maybe it wouldn't have mattered but Larsson was a better matchup IMO.

If the refs saw Kriisa pretending to puke after he tried to draw that charge he probably would have gotten a T and never got back in but I was pretty surprised Lloyd put him back in after that.

Scary to think how good Houston would be if they had those 2 guards that have been out since December their quickness and depth would be scary. Not a Sampson fan but he can coach.

I don’t know specifically why Sampson is disliked but he’s a hell of a coach. The irony of Houston is it’s probably Sean Miller’s dream type team. They were #2 Kenpom heading into the tourney.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Exposed bad but will be good for everyone going forward because I trust Tommy. I don’t hate the idea of Kerr going to play overseas somewhere.
Houston has dogs 1-8. We had 2-3 at best.

Krissa was one of the weak links for sure, not to the degree UCLA fans and their Fatal Attraction like obsession want him to be, but needs to become a stronger player with the ball.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
30 wins and a S16 definitely exceeded expectations after the turmoil from last year and lack of a recruiting class. Plus recent article in AZ Central mentioned that with possible pending NCAA sanctions from Miller fallout, maybe its best if UA didn't win it all this year.

Lloyd needs to use this year's success to start gaining kids interest in program again. He's got AZ HS POY Dylan Anderson coming in and a couple of highly regarded G's in Boswell and Lewis in the fold but if he can't get in with the reminding 2023 prospects he needs to hit the transfer portal hard. Koloko and Mathurin are gone so lets see how he re-tools the roster.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
30 wins and a S16 definitely exceeded expectations after the turmoil from last year and lack of a recruiting class. Plus recent article in AZ Central mentioned that with possible pending NCAA sanctions from Miller fallout, maybe its best if UA didn't win it all this year.

Lloyd needs to use this year's success to start gaining kids interest in program again. He's got AZ HS POY Dylan Anderson coming in and a couple of highly regarded G's in Boswell and Lewis in the fold but if he can't get in with the reminding 2023 prospects he needs to hit the transfer portal hard. Koloko and Mathurin are gone so lets see how he re-tools the roster.

I predict Terry will get a 1st rd promise because of his tools and potential. Tommy will need to land a big time transfer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Woefully unprepared for their level of defense. Probably wouldn’t have mattered with this roster. Totally shook the whole game except DT
Yeah that defense and athleticism made Arizona look soft. Particularly koloko. In two games he was bullied imo. But mostly I was shocked by just how much tubelis was just virtually eliminated. A guy that big and skilled should be able to adapt and use his skill to overcome the athleticism deficiency.

I think Mathurin eventually woke up and realized he had to play with more force, but it was somewhat too late.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In a weird and ironic way, this was a game Sean would’ve probably done better in
I think you’re right in one of the floor. They wouldn’t have gotten bullied on the defensive end of the floor. But I think a killer team would’ve been beaten by a greater margin bc they wouldn’t have been able to score at all. The small runs, like to start the second half, those were set plays that reflect led Lloyd’s creativeness. Millers no-offense-offense would’ve had nothing in the face of Houston’s defensive pressure, scheme and effort. And just to address Houston for a second, their defensive effort was incredibly impressive. I can’t recall another college team in recent memory that played with that amount relentlessness.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree. I trust Lloyd too. And I think an athletic upgrade on Kerr would make a big difference. Replacing Mathurin and koloko isn’t going to be easy though . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Meant to add the Dalen Terry transformation continues. Best player on teh court for UA last night. I count 10 games in the last 16 with double digits, good defense, rebounds and a great passer. He's getting into Iguodala territory at his size. Assuming he comes back he could be a conference POY candidate next year
Yup. He steps into Mathurin shoes. Not a similar player, but he becomes the alpha. He seemed to be the only player that overtly enjoyed playing in the last two games. He liked the challenge.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I predict Terry will get a 1st rd promise because of his tools and potential. Tommy will need to land a big time transfer.
That would surprise me. I think the nba will want to see another year. And he could use one. If a stellar season next year as the focus of the cats he could vault into the lottery.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That would surprise me. I think the nba will want to see another year. And he could use one. If a stellar season next year as the focus of the cats he could vault into the lottery.

Archie Goodwin was a first rd pick as well as a bunch of other young raw dudes like him. Teams will take him knowing they’re probably getting a lottery pick a year early.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know specifically why Sampson is disliked but he’s a hell of a coach. The irony of Houston is it’s probably Sean Miller’s dream type team. They were #2 Kenpom heading into the tourney.

Well it's dumb now because with the new rules everyone essentially does it but Sampson was a pretty dirty coach at one point in his career based on the rules at the time. Not that I'm an Indiana fan but Kelvin Sampson cratered that program.

But now essentially everything he was doing is not really a violation so if he does that now, nobody cares

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houston has dogs 1-8. We had 2-3 at best.

Krissa was one of the weak links for sure, not to the degree UCLA fans and their Fatal Attraction like obsession want him to be, but needs to become a stronger player with the ball.

hey if you guys want to start him for another 2 years more power to you. He's not that good.

He made some nice pocket passes last night usually hockey assists to Tubelis. he's a horrible defender, like hide him if you can bad defender. In the tourney in 2 games he shot 2-17 6points 6 boards 2 assists, 6 turnovers 7 fouls in 46 minutes. I guess he was healthy he was moving around ok but he was by far the worst player in the rotation.

Larsson 3 games, 72 minutes 25 points on 8-16 shooting, 17 boards 5 assists and while he's not as good as Terry or Mathurin he's actually not a bad defender. 24 minutes a game for him is not bad but I would have liked to see him get 30 and cut Kriisa's minutes between Larsson and Kier.

He finally made a 3 last night I think cut the lead to 9 and then the next time down he takes a 30 footer off the dribble drifting left, just a horrible shot the announcer even said what is he doing taking that shot.

I just don't see why Lloyd likes him, not like last night was an off night he shot 35% overall 34 from 3 which was just slightly better than he did last year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Archie Goodwin was a first rd pick as well as a bunch of other young raw dudes like him. Teams will take him knowing they’re probably getting a lottery pick a year early.
Lol. Based on your example there’s no “probably getting a lottery pick” involved. The goodwins far exceed the maxeys in the league. I’m not saying he might get drafted, he may. But it’s no sure thing and the difference in $$$ between lottery and pick 28 is pretty big. He knows he’s the man coming back to a good coach and good program at Arizona. I wouldn’t be surprised either way, I just think he’s more likely to stay.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really thought this was the year the West Coast got a title, 3 teams that looked to be good enough to do it and all went down.

Gonzaga I thought a couple of the calls on Holmgren were bad but largely they just got beaten by a team that played harder than they did, Notae was 9-29 2-12 from 3 but Arkansas still won they shut down the Zags and turned them over.

UCLA played well enough to win until the end but got killed by a Fennis Dembo effort from Caleb Love, and because IMO Cronin didn't play Myles Johnson and Jaylen Clark enough and it cost them at crunch time with key UNC rebounds on the O glass.

Arizona just ran into a buzzsaw defensively and again I think Lloyd went too long with Kerr and it cost him.

Will be interesting to see who comes back from those 3 and who they get in. All 3 have a chance to be top 10 teams again next year just depends on who goes.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I really thought this was the year the West Coast got a title, 3 teams that looked to be good enough to do it and all went down.

Gonzaga I thought a couple of the calls on Holmgren were bad but largely they just got beaten by a team that played harder than they did, Notae was 9-29 2-12 from 3 but Arkansas still won they shut down the Zags and turned them over.

UCLA played well enough to win until the end but got killed by a Fennis Dembo effort from Caleb Love, and because IMO Cronin didn't play Myles Johnson and Jaylen Clark enough and it cost them at crunch time with key UNC rebounds on the O glass.

Arizona just ran into a buzzsaw defensively and again I think Lloyd went too long with Kerr and it cost him.

Will be interesting to see who comes back from those 3 and who they get in. All 3 have a chance to be top 10 teams again next year just depends on who goes.

Gonzaga might be going thru a bit of a lull by their talent standards without Lloyd’s recruiting chops. AZ/UCLA expectations have everything to do with who’s returning. Terry/Koloko for us and Juzang/Jaquez for y’all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonzaga might be going thru a bit of a lull by their talent standards without Lloyd’s recruiting chops. AZ/UCLA expectations have everything to do with who’s returning. Terry/Koloko for us and Juzang/Jaquez for y’all.

Nobody thinks Juzang is coming back we don't know on Jaquez. Should be much more athletic next year.

For UA I think the key is the 2 you identified.

I expect Gonzaga, UA and USC will all reload in the transfer portal, there's a reason USC already has 3-4 guys leaving and rumors Boogie Ellis will too, I think they were actively telling guys we're going to recruit over you in the portal.

Should add I expect Oregon will reload with transfers too.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I really don’t think terry goes. Isn’t koloko a senior? If not he may want to return as he ended his season with an embarrassing thud.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Nobody thinks Juzang is coming back we don't know on Jaquez. Should be much more athletic next year.

For UA I think the key is the 2 you identified.

I expect Gonzaga, UA and USC will all reload in the transfer portal, there's a reason USC already has 3-4 guys leaving and rumors Boogie Ellis will too, I think they were actively telling guys we're going to recruit over you in the portal.

Should add I expect Oregon will reload with transfers too.

Koloko should do the opposite of Juzang last year and leave. He’s not ready for NBA ball but he could regret coming back and hurting his stock.

I really don’t think terry goes. Isn’t koloko a senior? If not he may want to return as he ended his season with an embarrassing thud.

Terry is the big one. Him leaving/staying is the difference between being a great team vs an above average one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose