My Draft Objectives

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This might be the weirdest draft ever. Just look at the mocks. Beyond the top 20 nobody knows who likely goes where. It will be hard on Keim. He’ll might make a decent selection. Somebody who goes 5 picks later will make 6 Pro Bowls, have been on some guru’s selection list and Keim will get berated because a random amateur bested him. Please don’t spend too much time telling me on my list this guy is too late or too early. I’ll admit right here, I could be way off on who’s available where. Do spend time telling me who you’d like at a given spot and feel free to say why you do or don’t like one or more of my guys either at this point or ever. I’ll likely respond. I’ve seen many good selections on the board throughout this year.

Then there’s the giant hole (87-201) in the Cards’ draft spots. They may elevate someone to round three rather than miss out on the guy they want. They could trade down, but someone else could grab him. I’d hate to be Keim in this draft. Big gaps are bad for pick strategy management.

What follows are not predictions of which players will go where. Instead they are my attempt to play GM and tell you who I’d take if the Cards don’t move slots and these players are still on the board at this pick. They are not in the order of preference since I won’t know what’s gone before. They are not coordinated. I wouldn’t take 5 receivers. I might take 2, but that’s my limit. I did put an asterisk by my favorite pick. If I put an asterisk on a receiver I put a second asterisk for that pick, as I am receiver heavy.

I know liking Walker in round 2 will not make many happy. He’s what I call an overwhelming BPA. He should go in round 1. If he lasts this late he can’t be passed. He is decisive about hole selection, he has unusual speed for his size and great hands. He could also be split out in 3 & 4 receiver formations. His talent is rare and though he only lasts 3-4 years, he’s an difference making player. He’s much more impactful than Edmonds. He elevates the entire offense.

Ideally the Cards get 2 WRs, 1 OL, 1 DL, 1 Edge & 1 CB.

*Zion Johnson G/C. Could immediately start at G with the added bonus of backing up Hudson at C and possibly being Hudson’s successor.

Devonte Wyatt, DL. More of a 4/3 if used as inside guy. He would help against the run and collapsing the pocket. Could he survive as a NG in a 3/4? That looks marginal to me.

Trevor Penning G/OT. He’s agile enough to play inside, but might not be ideal when pulling. He could possibly also start immediately at RT, but inexperience would hurt a little. He’d eventually transition to LT, where he’d be a tone setter for a mean, tough lineman.

*Jameson Williams WR. He wouldn’t still be here if not for injury. Years ago this injury would stunt a career, but today’s medicine should mean a full recovery. He has top end speed, big catching radius and catches well over the shoulder. A solid deep threat.

Travis Jones DT. Some would mark this a reach. I see it as potential to build a needed talent. He rough, but once polished he’s a quality anchor tackle the Cards need.

Boyd Mafe Edge. A late bloomer, he really came on in the Senior Bowl and indicated a significant upside. This is a big need and he’s likely the best on the board at this spot.

*Christian Watson WR. If he played at a top school, he’d go in the top 20. He may well be gone by here. He has it all speed, agility, hands and route running precision. N

Logan Hall DL. Incredible agility actually allowed him to play inside against large players. He could still play there in a 4-3, but in a 3-4 he’s likely a DE who provide outstanding run defense.

Kingsley Enagbare Edge. This guy can get after a QB. Tons of pressures but not as many sacks as you’d like. With some polish he might grow into a major asset.

*Kenny Walker RB. I know way too early to take a back, but forget generalizations. He has 4.38 speed, is a fine pass receiver and breaks tons of tackles. He’s not your ordinary back. He could not only replace Edmonds, but like Johnson he could be a slot receiver on some downs. He’s a game breaker if he get loose in the secondary.

Jamaree Sayler G. A tackle convert, he’s a ready to go NFL G. He has balance and agility. He’s good in both the rushing game and pass defense. He shows excellent instincts for the game including leverage and defense recognition.

Andrew Booth CB. A fine athlete that needs to gain experience which would occur in the worst situation possible. That said if you and Booth can accept getting best now and then without becoming discourage, the Cards could win big. He might be the best project in the draft. The fact the Cards play a ton of zone would help considerably. Likely gone by now.

Jahan Dotson WR. Super quick first step often gets immediate separation. He shifts gears seamlessly, often throwing defenders off balance. He doesn’t break tackles with strength, but he has those micro moves that make getting a grip on him hard. He’s a truly effective punt returner if he gets even a little space.

Myles Jones CB. Unusual length and height to find in a corner. He’s a very heady player but lacks elite speed. He needs to spend time in the weight room. He’s likely a #2 or slot guy, but he’ll give great effort and be an asset on special teams.

Justyn Ross WR injury & poor QB play have set him back. Might well go earlier depending on combine. Has potential to be #2 receiver.

Cam Jorgensen G/C. Quick, agile and excellent at reading defenses. Very often executes second level blocks. Takes good angles & understands leverage.

*Kalia Davis DT. Ready for another project. He has one of the best motors in the draft. He’ll only be on the board this low because of injury concerns and the fact he’s raw. I know that’s two strikes. His first step is unreal and if he builds more technique he’ll be extremely hard to block. His penetration can also be very disruptive of the running game.

Khalil Shakir WR. If any of you remember Ricky Proehl, he was much like this guy. He’s likely a slot WR. He’s not a burner, but he might be the most competitive player in the draft. He fights harder than any receiver in the draft to get the first down line. He is effective as a runner on screens and sweeps. He makes his teammates play better. He comes back to QB and understands throwing lanes. Great locker room asset.

Alec Pierce WR. Think upside. He lacks the polish you would expect from someone playing for a national championship. He’s super fast, yet he’s been limited by poor route execution. He’s awesome on 50-50 balls and has fine hands when he concentrates. He tracks the ball well and with good coaching he should become a deep threat, not just a possession receiver as Cincy used him.

Dare Rosenthal T. He’s huge but still fairly athletic. He struggled at LSU but took major steps forward at KY. His feet are quick enough but some dance lessons would help. He needs to work on keeping his bend but he hits with force.

*Kevin Austin WR. Coming out of high school he was regarded as one of the top Florida prospects. Weed got him suspended at ND. He has a huge upside but he’s not a burner (4.43). Still he had an extremely effective second half (weaker competition) of last season as he grew exponentially in maturity and technique. He’s a bit of a risk here, but his ceiling is very high. He could be a fine #2 WR with good coaching.

*Luke Goedeke G. He could be long gone, but his second level school could cause him to drop. He’s a nasty dude who’d bring needed attitude to the Cards’ O-line.

Matt Waletzko T. Looks like the type of player who could grow into a solid tackle. He’s a good athlete. His length makes him hard to go around without being disrupted. He’s aggressive and quick off the snap and should become a successful run blocker. He’s got much to learn but he’s worth the time it will take to develop.

Eric Ezukanma WR. This man knows how to tear up a zone. He also makes a great target in tight spaces and the red zone. He’s not a speed merchant, but he’s a solid asset. He provides decent YAC due to strength, balance and determination.

Tyler Vrabel G. Another tackle I’d move to guard. I like legacy player and BC is one of those schools that turns out excellent offensive linemen. He’s solid in most aspects and plays with aggressiveness. Might take a season, but he should become a dependable starter.

Neil Farrell DT. Strictly useful against heavy running teams or on running downs. Also good for goal line stands. This guy is an anchor tackle personified. He doesn’t typically go forward, but it’s almost impossible to move him back. He can handle 2 gaps fluidly. I don’t see him ever becoming a pocket collapsing guy, but if he adds even more strength, he’ll be a monster.

*Ali Fayad Edge. He won’t make it on everyone’s board as he doesn’t have traditional measurables. That said he was the MAC Defensive POY. He was a big play machine. He could become one of the best special team players in the league and could become an outstanding situational pass rusher. Something tells me this guy is a far more athletic version of Gardeck. He could surprise and beat all the odds.

Max Mitchell T. He has surprisingly good technique considering he’s from a second level school. I like capable linemen with a tough attitude. Mitchell has that. He could play on either side. He still has upside with improved footwork. Projects to starter.

*Jeremiah Moon Edge. This guy looked awkward at times on the field, lacking agility. Then he gets to the Combine and blows up the 3 cone (some scouts rate that the best determiner of successful Edge Rushers). He’s quick, but seemed to lack the ability to capitalize. He has a decent motor. He’s a willing attacker, but lacks the strength to impose his will. If he has the drive to take his skills to their peak, he might become a successful special teamer and situational player.

Danny Grey WR. He is underdeveloped physically and that has limited his game despite great speed. He has a fumbling problem and gets manhandled too often. He has good hands, a decent catch radius, a deceptive, variable speed.

Dominique Robinson Edge. He needs to add strength and considerable technique. Still he’s gone from QB to WR to Edge show a willingness to learn and sound athleticism. He’s a project, but the talent is there.

244, 256, 257
uMario Goodrich CB. I think if he can add about 10 pounds of muscle, he could be a decent safety. He likes to hit, he’s sharp on play recognition and not easily influenced by the QB. Doesn’t have the hands to be a true ball hawk but can cover adequately.

*Braxton Jones T. This guy is a major developmental project. So why take the shot? He has the size and athleticism to be decent, but has about as the worst technique compared to potential. Round 7 picks are rarely useful, but this guy is one of the reasons there’s a Practice Squad.

*Eric Johnson DL. There are few scenarios tougher than being from a small school and getting a last minute invitation to the Super Bowl. Johnson with one bull rush capitalized on the opportunity. He blew up the guard and ferociously sacked the QB. At about 6’4”, 300 lbs he has the frame to add more strength and power. He could quickly become a rotation player

Dareke Young WR. A terrific athlete with size and decent speed, he figures to have a shot a becoming a decent possession receiver. He likes to be physical with defenders and is solid on 50-50 balls. He’s very competitive and has always been an overachiever.

Obinna Eze T. A mountain of a man but still decently athletic. He has a massive wingspan and will typically at least slow any rusher. He’s not going to give you many second level blocks but could become solid in pass protection. He’s hard to move.

*Smoke Monday S. This college CB looks to move to S to transition in the NFL. He’s always been a physical player who loves to hit. He’s very aggressive in run support. He’s only medium in coverage, mostly due to his lack of top end speed. Could be an excellent special teams player. He has some ballhawk skills.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jameson Williams would be a ballzy pick. He is what 2 months into recovery from an ACL tear. Would he even play this season???

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jameson Williams would be a ballzy pick. He is what 2 months into recovery from an ACL tear. Would he even play this season???
+1

We don't have the luxury of picking a guy that wouldn't play this year. Although it would be like Keim to expect the rookie to not do anything his first year.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christian Watson has the look and feel of AJ Green back in the day. He would be an interesting pickup in the 2nd round.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Jameson Williams all day. He’s a top 10 talent and the best Wr in the draft. You don’t get his kind of explosivenesses and game breaking ability at 23.
Like Harry said, ACLs aren’t the devastating injury they used to be.
I could see him on the field in October/November.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Zion Johnson and Chris Olave are my guys for round 1....be a tough call if they were both on the board.

My focus is IOL/WR/EDGE in the first three rounds.... with EDGE in the third.
I think we can get a raw athletic freak in round three then put it on the coaches to teach him technique.

I don't think we draft a CB as we basically already did. Jeff Gladney is our rookie corner this year. I'm OK with that.... I think he is on par with Wilson as far as talent goes and his recent issues getting him basically kicked out of the league for a year likely put a chip on his shoulder and left him with something to prove..... Murphy, Wilson, and Gladney,...with a couple vet minimum guys, should have us better at corner than we were last season.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RD1: Zion Johnson
RD2: Alec Pierce
RD3: Sam Williams

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It’s funny, Williams transferred from OSU because he couldn’t get on the field ahead of Wilson, Olave, and Smith-Njugba.
The last significant guy who transferred from OSU because he couldn’t get on the field was Joe Burrow. That kind of worked out ok.

If Olave goes pro last year, as was expected, Williams probably never transfers.

Btw, I like Olave too but think he’ll be gone by 23.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff as usual Harry. Lots to digest here. Would love to see WR Williams still on the board at #23 and have the Cares draft him. He will be special.

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
Totally objective personal wish: If Raimann somehow lasts until 55 and we pick him up, I will forgive Keim all the terrible drafts in the past...

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No offense to you Harry but I wouldn't be thrilled with any of those 1st round guys. I would rather trade down and get 2 of the 2nd rounders.

Id love to get :

Kinnard and Salyer. There are your two starting OG's into the future. Maulers...

Phidarian Mathis and Uwazurike from ISU on the D-Line. Two tough as nails defenders who have versatility and a high floor.

All of those guys are 2-5 round guys and I would be in favor of a trade down if it meant stocking our trenches with bulls.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zion Johnson and Chris Olave are my guys for round 1....be a tough call if they were both on the board.

My focus is IOL/WR/EDGE in the first three rounds.... with EDGE in the third.
I think we can get a raw athletic freak in round three then put it on the coaches to teach him technique.

I don't think we draft a CB as we basically already did. Jeff Gladney is our rookie corner this year. I'm OK with that.... I think he is on par with Wilson as far as talent goes and his recent issues getting him basically kicked out of the league for a year likely put a chip on his shoulder and left him with something to prove..... Murphy, Wilson, and Gladney,...with a couple vet minimum guys, should have us better at corner than we were last season.
I'd go Zion and not look back. Offensive lineman are much harder to find in free agency vs WR.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'd go Zion and not look back. Offensive lineman are much harder to find in free agency vs WR.
That's kinda my feelings on it too.
Just tough because a good guard can be had for 8 or 9mil while a good wr will cost 20mil.
But we also have a better shot at keeping the guard

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree, I'd like Zion a lot. Problem is, we have a massive hole at WR I don't see Keim plugging in FA. Other problem is, he sucks at drafting WRs and we have too many holes to fill in the draft. Phew, too many problems!

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Zion feels like the floor in round 1 for me. Hes a solid player and I wont hate the pick if thats it....I just feel like there are 2nd round guards who are just as good....and 1st round feels like we need a more premium position.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Zion feels like the floor in round 1 for me. Hes a solid player and I wont hate the pick if thats it....I just feel like there are 2nd round guards who are just as good....and 1st round feels like we need a more premium position.
That's just it.

There ain't no second round guards that are just as good.

It's not really even close.

Green is the other guard they're talking about for the first round and he ain't even close.

We face Aaron Donald twice a year.
You really want to gamble that a fourth round prospect can keep our undersized star quarterback off the injury list?

I mean, unless you're totally cool with kyler running ten yards backward every snap because he doesn't trust his oline not to collapse the pocket on him?
I mean, if you're cool with that,.... screw it.... a 6th round guy is fine. At least we can say we drafted a guard

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, thanks for your insight. I'll suggest two things:
1. You revisit your list as we get closer to the Draft, and see if you want to make any changes.
2. From your remarks that this is a very tough draft to rank players, after the top 20, I'm thinking that a couple of teams might get lucky with their seventh round picks. Hope we're one of them.

Again, thank you.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re on a roll, Harry. Keep ‘em coming. Just wondering, but how much do you factor in so-called “leadership and lockerroom intangibles.” Seems to me that when we added a few character veterans, our offense and defense got better. Could leadership traits work equally as well as a predictor for rookie prospects?

Or - are intangibles overrated?

Last edited:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's just it.

Green is the other guard they're talking about for the first round and he ain't even close.

You really want to gamble that a fourth round prospect can keep our undersized star quarterback off the injury list?

I mean, unless you're totally cool with kyler running ten yards backward every snap because he doesn't trust his oline not to collapse the pocket on him?
I mean, if you're cool with that,.... screw it.... a 6th round guy is fine. At least we can say we drafted a guard
Darrian Kinnard and Jamaree Salyer. Both would be instant starters at OG for us and I think they are every bit as good as Zion. They are absolute maulers in the run game and bring nastiness.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, I'd like Zion a lot. Problem is, we have a massive hole at WR I don't see Keim plugging in FA. Other problem is, he sucks at drafting WRs and we have too many holes to fill in the draft. Phew, too many problems!
Exactly. At this point, I would argue that he probably shouldn't draft one at all!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Darrian Kinnard and Jamaree Salyer. Both would be instant starters at OG for us and I think they are every bit as good as Zion. They are absolute maulers in the run game and bring nastiness.
We don't draft or sign run blockers.
I mean, ideally a guy is good at both but in most cases they are not.
Traditionally keim favors pass protectors...which is why he traded a 2nd round pick for a center who was known to be a terrible run blocker....

I don't think either of those guys are day one starters. Likely not even year one starters. Not for us nor any other nfl team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's just it.

This. 100 times this.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We don't draft or sign run blockers.
I mean, ideally a guy is good at both but in most cases they are not.
Traditionally keim favors pass protectors...which is why he traded a 2nd round pick for a center who was known to be a terrible run blocker....

I don't think either of those guys are day one starters. Likely not even year one starters. Not for us nor any other nfl team.
Sorry man, this is just wrong. I will guarentee at least one of them is a day 1 starter, and I would be very confident saying both will.

These are 2nd round guys...I'm not talking about some flyer on a late round pick. They will most likely be the 3rd and 4th OG taken after Zion and Green.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sorry man, this is just wrong. I will guarentee at least one of them is a day 1 starter, and I would be very confident saying both will.

These are 2nd round guys...I'm not talking about some flyer on a late round pick. They will most likely be the 3rd and 4th OG taken after Zion and Green.
You might be right. Every year I'm right on some and wrong on others.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose