Draft: Top 20 for pick 22

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I say we take Olave. Quick. Good hands. Good route runner. Gives us another reliable Cather who can break it open. Like the Bengals have on offense

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I say we take Olave. Quick. Good hands. Good route runner. Gives us another reliable Cather who can break it open. Like the Bengals have on offense
Green Bay just traded away Adams for the pick right before the Cards. Don’t get your hopes up on Olave.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Green Bay just traded away Adams for the pick right before the Cards. Don’t get your hopes up on Olave.

If Vegas just traded all that for 29 year old Adams I think it is safe to say there were also in the wide receiver market at #22.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
After reading this whole thread, I leave with the realization that I know nothing! However, my feelings include:

Olive going much earlier in the draft than most project.

Ojabo being that prince I used to get emails from in Nigeria.

Discussing Linderbaum is a waste of energy.

Wondering how much interest there might be in besides Mafe, but also Jordan Davis, Jermaine Johnson, DeMarvin Leal, or Kingsley Enagbare as a R1 pick.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you believe there’s a plateau of talent at #23, you should use the pick to fill a need or trade down for a pick or three.

But if a clear game-changer should drop down to #23, jump on that puppy and don’t look back.

What I don’t want us to do is (1) draft a meh player or pass on a a clear talent who can win a couple of games all by himself

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can someone explain the Trevor Penning love to me? I'm seeing him mocked as high as #5.

For a FCS player that's never faced a good pass rusher in his life that had an awful senior bowl where he got destroyed in 1 on 1's by literally everyone.

I just don't get it. I'm hoping this is some analyst over reach and the NFL has more sense.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
After reading this whole thread, I leave with the realization that I know nothing! However, my feelings include:

Olive going much earlier in the draft than most project.

Ojabo being that prince I used to get emails from in Nigeria.

Discussing Linderbaum is a waste of energy.

Wondering how much interest there might be in besides Mafe, but also Jordan Davis, Jermaine Johnson, DeMarvin Leal, or Kingsley Enagbare as a R1 pick.
Yeah, I too am still awaiting my million dollar windfall from that Nigerian prince. But, as far as the draft goes, pick No. 23 is likely not going to net the Cardinals a future superstar (but you never know, right). So, I’d use the pick for either the best offensive lineman still on the board or the best defensive lineman available. Too bad Cardinals have so many needs and too little cap room to attract high profile FAs. The schedule will be tougher this year and I’m not sure the Cardinals will be better than last year. Always hope for a Super Bowl team or one that makes the playoffs, but the prospects look bleak for the coming year. Hope I’m wrong about that, and that Nigerian prince.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on Marcus Jones (CB Houston). He's undersized, but hes a pretty darn good slot CB and the best return man in the country. If we are committed to Murphy playing on the outside then I wouldnt mind spending a 3rd on him. He has great ball skills...5 picks and 13 BPU last year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on Marcus Jones (CB Houston). He's undersized, but hes a pretty darn good slot CB and the best return man in the country. If we are committed to Murphy playing on the outside then I wouldnt mind spending a 3rd on him. He has great ball skills...5 picks and 13 BPU last year.
Murphy is best in the slot, and you don't take slot corners in the first round.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Murphy is best in the slot, and you don't take slot corners in the first round.
Oh no..I was thinking 3rd round at best. Murphy is best in the slot...but hes also our #1 CB...so he is going to have to play outside unless we make a big move or Gladney suddenly is a beast.

Jones is 5'8...but he has really solid ball skills and is a willing tackler. What makes him worth a 3rd rounder is he is the best KR/PR man in the draft. Averaged 14 ypr on Punts and had 4 return TD's this year.

I still think Moore has some ability as a return man, but we may have given up on that with his numerous mental mistakes last year in the return game.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Really really really sucks for that kid. I hope his agent had some kind of insurance for him.

Achilles is really rough to come back from too, he may never be the same. If we had a 4th I would take a flyer on him and redshirt him...but I dont think I would with a 3rd.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really really really sucks for that kid. I hope his agent had some kind of insurance for him.

Achilles is really rough to come back from too, he may never be the same. If we had a 4th I would take a flyer on him and redshirt him...but I dont think I would with a 3rd.
Don't we have a 3rd and 2 5ths from the comp picks? Since those are at the end of the 3rd, I'd do it without question.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Can someone explain the Trevor Penning love to me? I'm seeing him mocked as high as #5.

For a FCS player that's never faced a good pass rusher in his life that had an awful senior bowl where he got destroyed in 1 on 1's by literally everyone.

I just don't get it. I'm hoping this is some analyst over reach and the NFL has more sense.
Teams are desperate for offensive line help, especially at OT. He seems to be ready to handle the physical part of the transition to the NFL. He has an aggressive personality that NFL people gravitate to. He fits many size profile standards for teams.

A couple points of note regarding Penning.
1-He is in the convo for 3rd or 4th best OT. I think he is 4th but Charles Cross is more finesse than Penning.

2-Most mock drafts were pre-free agency so they reflect needs and value of rosters at that point in time. A week into FA, clarity comes and players probably are mocked closer to their value. So, he isn't 5th best player in the draft, and now that needs are being filled, he probably goes closer to his actual overall rank which is the teens or twenties.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Teams are desperate for offensive line help, especially at OT. He seems to be ready to handle the physical part of the transition to the NFL. He has an aggressive personality that NFL people gravitate to. He fits many size profile standards for teams.

A couple points of note regarding Penning.
1-He is in the convo for 3rd or 4th best OT. I think he is 4th but Charles Cross is more finesse than Penning.

2-Most mock drafts were pre-free agency so they reflect needs and value of rosters at that point in time. A week into FA, clarity comes and players probably are mocked closer to their value. So, he isn't 5th best player in the draft, and now that needs are being filled, he probably goes closer to his actual overall rank which is the teens or twenties.

I see him well behind Cross. I just think these top 10 ratings are nuts. He needs tonnes of work. He's never gone up against and NFL level rusher in college and when he did at the senior bowl he got owned. To the point he started getting pissed and pushing guys when the play was over.

Top 10 is a massive over pay.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I see him well behind Cross. I just think these top 10 ratings are nuts. He needs tonnes of work. He's never gone up against and NFL level rusher in college and when he did at the senior bowl he got owned. To the point he started getting pissed and pushing guys when the play was over.

Top 10 is a massive over pay.
I think any mock that has his in the top 10 is either old or bad.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Yes, lots of OLmen will be over drafted this year. Lots of bust outs there, especially OT. This year I would definitely wait till later rounds and draft a decent player knowing he is a project who may turn out to give you some added depth down the line.

If desperate for an immediate starter at OT, one better be prepared to trade up into the top 10 or so. Even OG & C starters won't be around past R2 if that.

Appears to me that WR, RB, & Safety has the most decent players in this draft. I like several of the players at safety, but don't suppose we are that much in need of one.

But, as usual, what do I know!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
UPDATED (only 19 now)

Ikem Ekwonu – OL – NC State
Evan Neal – OL – Alabama
Kenyon Green – OL – Texas A&M
Tyler Linderbaum – OL – Iowa
Zion Johnson – OL – Boston College
Charles Cross – OL – Mississippi St
Kayvon Thibodeaux – EDGE – Oregon
Aiden Hutchinson – EDGE – Michigan
Jermaine Johnson – EDGE – Florida St
Boye Mafe – EDGE - Minnesota
Garrett Wilson – WR – Ohio St.
Chris Olave – WR – Ohio St
Drake London – WR – USC
Jameson Williams - WR - Alabama
Ahmad Gardner – CB – Cincinnati
Trent McDuffie – CB – Washington
Travon Walker – DL – Georgia
Devonte Wyatt – DL – Georgia
Travis Jones - DL - UConn

For the record. I really like Troy Anderson out of Montana St. He is a mid round guy but he is going to stick in the NFL.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Penning is going to be an OK guard, that's it. He holds constantly, and his "tough guy" move of throwing guys to the ground at the very end of a play won't work in the NFL. It will get flagged all the time. He can be a good run blocker. His pass blocking is very bad.

I would take him in the 2nd...at best...as an OG project

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Speed

I'm not really bothered about his speed. He ran 4.55 which is ok for me.

Kupp ran 4.62, Hopkins 4.57, Deebo 4.48. 4.55 is fine, especially when you watch his film.

It was all his other testing that underwhelmed. His 3 cone was 9th percentile. His vertical 21st. These are two major tests for wide receivers that he sucked at.

That's not to say he won't be good. Nuk's testing was poor for example. Boldin also obviously. Antonio Brown. Jarvis Landry. There are lots of ways for WR's to win but it is concerning.

More concerning is that he apparently didn't practice and let himself get out of shape. 225lb for only 6'2" is HEAVY.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Kupp ran 4.62, Hopkins 4.57, Deebo 4.48. 4.55 is fine, especially when you watch his film.

It was all his other testing that underwhelmed. His 3 cone was 9th percentile. His vertical 21st. These are two major tests for wide receivers that he sucked at.

That's not to say he won't be good. Nuk's testing was poor for example. Boldin also obviously. Antonio Brown. Jarvis Landry. There are lots of ways for WR's to win but it is concerning.

More concerning is that he apparently didn't practice and let himself get out of shape. 225lb for only 6'2" is HEAVY.
He didn't practice well for the Combine

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

People put way to much on the combine. Watch the game film, the level of competition, injuries and background.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose